View Poll Results: Should there be a new female teenage (or younger) Kryptonian?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

9 20.00%
  • No (why not?)

36 80.00%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

I like the look of a short dark haired female SUPER, either cir, a daughter, or alternate reality person.
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

If Kara really is becoming Superwoman at the end of Tom King’s mini, then I don’t mind a new character taking on the Supergirl mantle.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I think its a highly likely scenario that if Kara becomes Superwoman, yet another 5th gen character will be introduced to be a new Supergirl.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I prefer it not to be a Kryptonian. It's more interesting that way.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SuperX View Post
    I like the look of a short dark haired female SUPER, either cir, a daughter, or alternate reality person.
    DC already has a dark-haired female teen SUPER, namely Mary Marvel.

Retired

I don't know a lot about "Cir-El."

As a side question--how did they come up with that spelling of her name--is it intentionally supposed to look like "cereal?" To me you would never have a transposition of Kryptonian into that spelling. All Kryptonian should be transposed so it's phonetic for English speakers. There's no way to tell looking at it just how it's supposed to be sounded out. Should it be "Sir," "Seer," "Keer," "Kir," "Chur," "Cheer?"

I wouldn't want that name or that exact character--but I think that it would have been a better idea to give Clark and Lois a daughter rather than a son. It seems like they want more diverstiy and gender equality these days. So by giving them a daughter--they'd have some representation. And then Kara would take on the name Superwoman. Jonathan just seems like Superman redux--a super-daughter has more potential.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by kryptonian View Post
    If I’m forced to do this by editorial

I would revamp Cir-el into Superman’s actual daughter with the earth name Laura Kent

Kara will take the name superwoman

Cir-el will take the title of supergirl

Laura’s unique power will be the ability to split into red and blue

Her superhero title will be supergirl red & blue

As for her lineage...either another “out of space and time” daughter of Lois and Clark or the illegitimate daughter of Superman and lashina(who I’ll retcon into Darkseid’s daughter) that was conceived during a time where Superman was brainwashed by Darkseid(basically canonizing a storyline from the DCAU)

Making Laura Kent/Cir-el into Darkseid’s granddaughter...perhaps even having the omega effect as a power as well.
    Cir El doesn't need the Omega Effect, her Red Sun powers are a unique gimmick.

I wonder if they'll synergise to whatever the Flash movie is doing? They've just revealed how Supergirl looks in the film - short dark hair. Which matches both Cir-El, and Injustice's Lara Lane-Kent. But not, of course, Kara.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Kara Zor-El will always be Supergirl to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    I wonder if they'll synergise to whatever the Flash movie is doing? They've just revealed how Supergirl looks in the film - short dark hair. Which matches both Cir-El, and Injustice's Lara Lane-Kent. But not, of course, Kara.
    If Sasha is indeed playing Kara then no they won’t. Kara’s appearance has been ingrained in pop culture thanks to multiple live action, animated, and video game representations that Sasha isn’t going to cause them to change it all by herself. Kara will still be a white blonde girl on DCSG or Injustice or the LEGO games for example and that won’t change. But if Sasha isn’t playing Kara then maybe.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Astonishing Member

No, not really.

Anyway, most people today know Supergirl from the CW show, where's she's been in her twenties and is probably around 30 by now.

Kara was actually an adult by the time she was killed in COIE - she only got de-aged because she was rebooted. And now she's finally grown into an adult 'again'.

I don't really see the clamor for a teenage Supergirl anyway. If a writer really wants to tell a teenage Supergirl story, there's always Black Label. Or just to a 'Year One' style story set in the past.

(Incidentially, which version of Supergirl's origin is canon now? The Pre-Flashpoint one? Or New 52?)

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    No, not really.

Anyway, most people today know Supergirl from the CW show, where's she's been in her twenties and is probably around 30 by now.

Kara was actually an adult by the time she was killed in COIE - she only got de-aged because she was rebooted. And now she's finally grown into an adult 'again'.

I don't really see the clamor for a teenage Supergirl anyway. If a writer really wants to tell a teenage Supergirl story, there's always Black Label. Or just to a 'Year One' style story set in the past.

(Incidentially, which version of Supergirl's origin is canon now? The Pre-Flashpoint one? Or New 52?)
    New 52 was still canon for Rebirth, Kara basically hasn’t had her continuity changed since the reboot. However King is folding aspects of Pre-Crisis back into canon going off his interviews, so that origin is worth looking at.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    If Kara really is becoming Superwoman at the end of Tom King’s mini, then I don’t mind a new character taking on the Supergirl mantle.
    I'd rather they don't replace her just yet so they don't have to walk it back if SW doesn't perform like they want it to.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

I don't think there's a need for or room for another Supergirl.
    If they were going to do it though, I'd use the Kristen Wells pre-Crisis character. A time traveler from the future who used futuristic tech to simulate powers, she was fun and distinct. She got her slang mixed up and came off as kind of kooky, avoided Jimmy Olsen's advances because he's her ancestor. She's also has a neat nostalgic factor that's probably helped by her being so underused.

What would make the most sense is the bring back Matrix, or rather reboot her. Not a Kryptonian, and hell with her protoplasm origins she's essentially non-binary. You can play up on that today if desired. But I would doubt this since this whole Infinite Frontier thing is based off new creations.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El