View Poll Results: Should there be a new female teenage (or younger) Kryptonian?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

9 20.00%
  • No (why not?)

36 80.00%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Weird amount of love for Cir-El here. Not that she wasn't a fun character, but why would people want her back? Her story was told, had a big heroic ending and that is it.

I get that comics are serialised storytelling but shouldn't some characters should be allowed to have a story, it be done well, and then left alone?

I'm not throwing shade at her fans, I don't care one way or the other, I'm just interested in why people would be so attached to a character who was only around for like a year (15+ years ago) and had a complete story that they'd want her back. Especially with the risk of the character being ruined by new stories.

I feel the same about Chris Kent, Tomorrow Woman, Damian Wayne and Kraven (before their resurrections) and many more.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    Weird amount of love for Cir-El here. Not that she wasn't a fun character, but why would people want her back? Her story was told, had a big heroic ending and that is it.

I get that comics are serialised storytelling but shouldn't some characters should be allowed to have a story, it be done well, and then left alone?

I'm not throwing shade at her fans, I don't care one way or the other, I'm just interested in why people would be so attached to a character who was only around for like a year (15+ years ago) and had a complete story that they'd want her back. Especially with the risk of the character being ruined by new stories.

I feel the same about Chris Kent, Tomorrow Woman, Damian Wayne and Kraven (before their resurrections) and many more.
    I can only speak for myself.
    To me it’s that she’s the easiest Superman character to retcon as Latina all along, with her looks. Since we know little of Mia’s actual background before kidnapped by Brainiac. She could have good Latina rep in the Superman family, with her Brainiac Kryptonian half breed powers.

She was very close with Natasha Irons and Traci 13, who are now revealed as queer. So it’s also easy to say Cir-El was queer all along too. And that brings even more diversity to the Superman family.

So for me, it’s mostly what Cir-El could be for potential diversity added to the Superman mythos.

Because I read the story, liked the Cir-el character, and I HATED the ending!!! ;-; She was one of the most interesting character concepts in that era of comics and then they're like "story's over time to get rid of the loose ends". :/

If I was bringing her back, I wouldn’t be bringing that version back. It would be a new version created for the Infinite Frontier era but based on her: A Latina human girl is abducted and experimented on by Brainiac, who is aware of Jon Kent’s status as a hybrid and is curious how such a thing is possible. His experiments on her give her Kryptonian DNA and she gets powers as a result, she uses her powers to escape, but has no memory of her past human life and so ends up living with and being trained by Kara as she tries to figure out what she wants to do now. Her name would be Cir Kal-El since she would be a genetic “daughter” of Kal since it’s his DNA that was used on her, making Kara her sort of aunt.

For those who were fans of the old Cir, she still had her story, but this is a new take for a new generation. As for why her? Well I don’t want yet another secret Kryptonian survivor, and such a survivor wouldn’t be “Latina” anyway which would defeat the whole point, so it has to be a human, and since there was already a character with a serviceable take, why not redo them?
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I like thst Hybrids are different in some way than normal kryptonian (TTK, redsunburst, and more powerful).

Thr movie Supergirl and Cir-el look the same, besides the supersuit, but thst can sync up easily,why not bring her back,DC is full on multiversal now, so it's easy to find a way to bring her back "of course with a reboot"
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

Extraordinary Member

I will never stop wanting Linda Danvers back.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I think DC screwed up such a good opportunity years ago when it comes to Cir-El. They should have moved both Cir-El and Chris Kent to the 31st century and made them the new Superboy and Supergirl of the Legion. It would have given the Legion back the strong ties to Superman while at the same time it would have given the Legion writers two characters that were completely their own without having to worry about the Superman writers constantly taking them back like with Conner and Kara.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    I will never stop wanting Linda Danvers back.

Same here, she is missed.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I think DC screwed up such a good opportunity years ago when it comes to Cir-El. They should have moved both Cir-El and Chris Kent to the 31st century and made them the new Superboy and Supergirl of the Legion. It would have given the Legion back the strong ties to Superman while at the same time it would have given the Legion writers two characters that were completely their own without having to worry about the Superman writers constantly taking them back like with Conner and Kara.
    Totally agree about this, 2 missed opportunities.
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

Quote Originally Posted by kryptonian View Post
    If I’m forced to do this by editorial

I would revamp Cir-el into Superman’s actual daughter with the earth name Laura Kent

Kara will take the name superwoman

Cir-el will take the title of supergirl

Laura’s unique power will be the ability to split into red and blue

Her superhero title will be supergirl red & blue

As for her lineage...either another “out of space and time” daughter of Lois and Clark or the illegitimate daughter of Superman and lashina(who I’ll retcon into Darkseid’s daughter) that was conceived during a time where Superman was brainwashed by Darkseid(basically canonizing a storyline from the DCAU)

Making Laura Kent/Cir-el into Darkseid’s granddaughter...perhaps even having the omega effect as a power as well.
    That reminds me- whatever happened to strange visitor?

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Thanks for the input, everyone. I was genuinely curious as it's been so long since she was around.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Retired

If Clark and Lois had a daughter--her American name should be Laurel Kent Lane and her Kryptonian name should be Lara Kal-El.

Extraordinary Member

What’s the deal with this Thao-La girl?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    If Clark and Lois had a daughter--her American name should be Laurel Kent Lane and her Kryptonian name should be Lara Kal-El.
    Well some continuities do use Laura(or Laurel) Kent actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    If I was bringing her back, I wouldn’t be bringing that version back. It would be a new version created for the Infinite Frontier era but based on her: A Latina human girl is abducted and experimented on by Brainiac, who is aware of Jon Kent’s status as a hybrid and is curious how such a thing is possible. His experiments on her give her Kryptonian DNA and she gets powers as a result, she uses her powers to escape, but has no memory of her past human life and so ends up living with and being trained by Kara as she tries to figure out what she wants to do now. Her name would be Cir Kal-El since she would be a genetic “daughter” of Kal since it’s his DNA that was used on her, making Kara her sort of aunt.

For those who were fans of the old Cir, she still had her story, but this is a new take for a new generation. As for why her? Well I don’t want yet another secret Kryptonian survivor, and such a survivor wouldn’t be “Latina” anyway which would defeat the whole point, so it has to be a human, and since there was already a character with a serviceable take, why not redo them?
    I wouldn't want them to do a re-tread of the original Cir-El story. She was a very tragic character, and that's a lot of baggage. We don't need that... especially YES!... no!!!! no YES!!! ;-; Yes was horrible.

I like the idea of Kara treating Cir-El as a sort of niece. Cir-El kinda treated Kon-El like a big brother.

And the name thing... in the original story... Her name is mentioned to be "strange" for a Kryptonian name(or something like that). Then we find out what her origin was and it suddenly makes sense that she'd have a name that didn't make sense by normal Kryptonian naming systems.
    Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    That reminds me- whatever happened to strange visitor?
    She stopped being a visitor. Her story was that she was a space goddess who got stuck on Earth temporarily, when she remembered who/what she was... poof. She went back home.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    What’s the deal with this Thao-La girl?
    Mongul found a planet that had people who left Krypton centuries ago and used them for slave labor. Then he eventually came up with the idea of playing on Superman's desire to help people by letting some of them escape and run to Superman for help.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Mongul found a planet that had people who left Krypton centuries ago and used them for slave labor. Then he eventually came up with the idea of playing on Superman's desire to help people by letting some of them escape and run to Superman for help.
    So far, do readers think the creators are grooming her to become the new Supergirl