Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Post So, finally... What do you all think of the Biden/Harris win?

So Biden is of course now finally in the white house and being a Dem that may be either good or bad to you. But we have the first woman VP who is also a woman of color. I didn't see any thread announcing it. Thoughts?

BANNED

Most of the thoughts were covered back in November in the Politics thread. Tends to be a left-leaning sub (myself included) and mostly the feeling was relief. You can probably get a better feel for what the sub thought by just scrolling back several hundred pages on the Politics thread though, see it in real time.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    Most of the thoughts were covered back in November in the Politics thread. Tends to be a left-leaning sub (myself included) and mostly the feeling was relief. You can probably get a better feel for what the sub thought by just scrolling back several hundred pages on the Politics thread though, see it in real time.
    Well.... there used to be that every presidential win that a thread would be posted I remembered it for Trump and all the presidents before it. So I was just interested. I do remember asking about it in the Politics thread a while back actually. But I figured a female VP and and being a poc would get its own thread. Sorry I started another thread about politics. .

Astonishing Member

Better than what we had but I wasn't expecting much. He did bring COVID cases/deaths down and waved vet medical fees though.

I'm happy with the win. Out of all of my friends who voted for Biden simply because he wasn't Trump, I actually liked his political stances. As a moderate who leans left, Biden spoke sense to me. Furthermore, he seemed like a real, honest, caring president. Hearing his eulogy for Senator McCain reminded me that the politics today could be about working together and not vitriolic, angry, juvenile BS on Twitter. Biden reminded me that of the ideals of the political institutions of America. Yeah, there's the reality of that, but Biden believes in the ideals. I like that.

As for Biden now, I like how he's working on multilateralism in politcs, working with other countries. I like how at the very least he's trying to make changes on climate change policy and racism. I'm leery of the massive spending that he's implementing. Trillions of dollars is trillions of dollars. While it could help the infrastructure of America, the payoff could happen in the 2030's. Yes, Biden has said that Americans making less than $400,000ish wouldn't be affected with taxes, but I'm still leery. I'm concerned about how this might affect big businesses. They've definitely to pay their fair share, but will they want to stay in America? I'm not too sure.

As for Harris, I like her too. In my mind, she and Biden are a tag team. Biden mentioned that Harris would be the last voice he consulted with before implementing policy. Her biggest challenge so far has been how to deal with undocumented migrants from Central America. JUry's still out on how well that was handled. However, she's certainly inspirational. As a teacher of a number of Black and brown children, especially young girls, she's seen as being a true example. Someone like them is a vice president. That means a lot.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

BANNED

Biden is proving a lot more capable than expected. A lot of heavy stuff done in less than half-a-year (the stimulus, recognizing the Armenian Genocide, the Tulsa Visit and hearing, the Vaccination drives).

Harris though hasn't really impressed as VP. Her comments in her visit at Central America isn't very nice at all.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Biden is proving a lot more capable than expected. A lot of heavy stuff done in less than half-a-year (the stimulus, recognizing the Armenian Genocide, the Tulsa Visit and hearing, the Vaccination drives).

Harris though hasn't really impressed as VP. Her comments in her visit at Central America isn't very nice at all.
    Yes, I suppose that she was rather blunt to say "Do Not Come". But I think it needs to be said that part of the problem is some of these countries need to get their house in order. The drug lords and other criminal elements rule and what government that is is place is usually corrupt.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Yes, I suppose that she was rather blunt to say "Do Not Come". But I think it needs to be said that part of the problem is some of these countries need to get their house in order. The drug lords and other criminal elements rule and what government that is is place is usually corrupt.
    Why do those things exist?

You have the country that creates the very black market that gives rise to those elements telling folks "Do Not Come..."

To be honest...

You've got a Democratic administration that ran largely on how out of control and dangerous the Republican administration it was running to replace had been.

Now?

That Democratic administration's justice department is covering for some of those out of control/dangerous aspects because doing so will preserve the Executive branch power that it now wields.

Not particularly surprising, but disappointing.

I remain happy with Biden/Harris. My actual politics run closer to Warren, but she left the field before I could vote for her in the primary. I'm also a realist and know our country tends to be very conservative. I think Biden and Harris are doing as much as they can within our system. After all the damage the "previous guy" did, I'm still relieved.

Empty is thy hand!

Almost anything would be better than the Trump debacle. That's the popular consensus in the United States.

My only regret is that all of Donnie's nonsense drowned out the historic conditions of Kamala Harris's achievement.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Why do those things exist?

You have the country that creates the very black market that gives rise to those elements telling folks "Do Not Come..."
    The substances that make the drug cartels rich are going to remain illegal or are controlled substance (fentanyl for example) in this country no matter what. 17 states and Washington D.C. have legalized marijuana and there may be more in the near future so that's not even that much of an issue. Drug trafficking these days means heroin, fentanyl and methamphetamine. Meth can be manufactured just about anywhere. There could be meth labs in my county for all I know. There have been busts in the past. Mexico is a big source of illegal fentanyl and that's probably a bigger problem. It's prime purpose as a pharmaceutical is for pain management and its' about 100 times more potent than morphine. Obtaining legal, controlled substances illegally is still going to be a problem.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 06-20-2021 at 02:37 PM.

BANNED

It gives me faint hope that America might still be a thing, but the number of people still voting for Trumpian candidates in lower offices still makes me concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    The substances that make the drug cartels rich are going to remain illegal or are controlled substance (fentanyl for example) in this country no matter what. 17 states and Washington D.C. have legalized marijuana and there may be more in the near future so that's not even that much of an issue. Drug trafficking these days means heroin, fentanyl and methamphetamine. Meth can be manufactured just about anywhere. There could be meth labs in my county for all I know. There have been busts in the past. Mexico is a big source of illegal fentanyl and that's probably a bigger problem. It's prime purpose as a pharmaceutical is for pain management and its' about 100 times more potent than morphine. Obtaining legal, controlled substances illegally is still going to be a problem.
    Politely, I've got to completely disagree there.

America is still clinging to to the idea that the drug war makes any kind on actual sense.

That makes it a situation where anything like a logical approach(marijuana obviously being a more sane approach to pain management than opioids being the obvious example...) a complete impossibility.

The entire thing is taking the worst possible approach to an American problem, and then blaming everywhere south of Mexico for that want to escape the destabilization that America refusing to accept reality creates in those places.

I think Biden's a decent president, although it is weirdly early to judge him on the merits, given that the country is still in the process of getting out of all the Pandemic-related closures.

He's done his most important job well, managing the distribution of the vaccine.

Harris seems to be a really overrated political figure. The threads about the Trump administration did not put Pence in the title.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets