Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Default The Superman Homage, Echo and/or Down & Dirty Knock-off Appreciation Thread 2021

They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Well, DC should know, because very few characters in comic book history have been imitated more than the Man of Steel. So let's hear about some of your favorite Superman homages and analogues, whether it's from another comic book publishing company, anime, cartoons, TV or cinema.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Goku goes first.who would have thought monkey king+superman=awesomeness.Astroboy,irongiant,..etc are also favourites..Also like allmight in some sense..
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 06-20-2021 at 12:05 AM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Back when I was a little kid, Superman only aired on Saturday morning TV. But that was ok, because Monday to Friday I got my Superman fix courtesy of the Mighty Mouse cartoon. MM was easily one of my favorite Superman analogues ever.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JudicatorPrime; 06-20-2021 at 11:06 AM.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

I've always had a fascination with these guys who are Clearly Just Superman with a Twist. DC has a handful themselves, Marvel has kind of an embarrassing number, and obviously various independent studios have run wild with these guys, many of whom were later snatched up by DC, like Captain Atom or Mr. Majestic. Others have also pointed out the overabundance of "evil" Superman stand-ins. I have to admit, the first time (only time) I read Comics' Greatest World as a kid, I was shattered by Titan's turn to being basically a super-mass-shooter. Strong memory, even with well over a decade of overexposure to the concept to make me roll my eyes at subsequent takes on the concept.

Anyway, my favorite of the various "I can't Believe He's Not Superman" guys is probably Supreme from Extreme and later Awesome studios. Most famously, Supreme was used to great effect as Alan Moore's take on the Silver Age Superman written with a greater sense of poetry and modern sensibilities, and that run is rightfully regarded as a triumph, arguably better than the real Superman titles at the time in a lot of ways, as well as redeeming what had been a fairly mediocre character from obscurity. Er, too bad Larsen pretty much undid that in about two issues, but I digress.

However, I have a dirty secret: I like the pre-Moore Supreme as well! He's often this excessive, shallow, violent, arrogant, and delusional character, but I still enjoy watching him get into fights and run amok! He's just kind of a blast.

20210620_075052.jpg
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

I always remember this character from the Roswell Conspiracies, an animated series who tied all earth myths (like vampires, werewolves, onis banshees) as being aliens visitators hwo were worshiped or feared in the past. . It was pretty good but also was very short.
    However there was a very good episode where a Superman like character; Jerick made his debut, with all the same history, but adapted to the main plot attached to the whole series. I liked, because in certain form it was the way to say than Superman, as concept it was at a similar level as other myths as legend.
    1_iphone.jpg
    Last edited by Thor-Ul; 06-22-2021 at 07:53 PM.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

I know the majority won't agree, but a definite favorite would be...

Major Glory

Last edited by K7P5V; 06-20-2021 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Hopefully this counts, but another favorite would be...

SHAZAM!

Last edited by K7P5V; 06-20-2021 at 06:12 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Alan Moore's Supreme is still amongst my favorite "Superman" runs ever. There's so much joy and genuine enthusiasm for the character in those stories.

From Toriyama (creator of Dragon Ball); Dr. Slump's Suppaman!

Speaking of anime, spoilers:
    Project A-Ko reveals that Superman is the father of A-Ko!
    end of spoilers

Last edited by K7P5V; 06-23-2021 at 02:51 AM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Speaking of anime, spoilers:
    Project A-Ko reveals that Superman is the father of A-Ko!
    end of spoilers

Ofcourse they are.You know what i love about that?they are both in disguise with glasses...

Miyazaki movies clearly take influences from max fliescher superman cartoons and does pay homages from time to time.Also think Anpanman takes inspiration from superman or a superhero in general..
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    That's a great one. I also love Metroman from the movie Megamind. What if Superman was Elvis Presley

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

One I go back to all the time is Hyperion from the original Squadron Supreme series by Mark Gruenwald. It barely predates Watchmen and Dark Knight, but it deserves its spot next to those classics. In some ways, the book is more like Kingdom Come or Whatever Happened the Man of Tomorrow? It’s like the last Justice League story and it sets up Dark Knight and even Marvels Civil War. In that book you get two versions of Hyperion. One version is the paragon of power Dudley Do Right type, the other is a meat and potatoes palooka Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    That's a great one. I also love Metroman from the movie Megamind. What if Superman was Elvis Presley
    Love that movie.

Also, speaking of "Elvis-as-Superman," I made this a loooooooooong time ago:
    Kal-Elvis.jpg
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/