Thread: Rpg time

Default Rpg time

Because no one talked about this

https://www.marvel.com/articles/gear...g-game-in-2022

Ohhhh boy can't wait to see this one hopefully on driverthru...I live for pen and paper superhero rpg
    (And boy x-men themes are so so very common in these games!)
    Also look the cover and who is there. Storm and Wolvie, the faces of X-men!

Curious about the "616" system...how will be different...how many dice will be necessary to behead a Sentinel?

Sounds interesting. I Hope they incude plenty of X-Men characters and many non-X-men characters as well.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Astonishing Member Grinning Soul's Avatar

This is too much for my nerd heart!

I'm definitely excited about this. I have the Marvel Heroic Roleplaying game by Margaret Weis, but sadly didn't get many chances to run it. It used the Cortex system, so I'm curious to see how this one will differ.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Sounds interesting. I Hope they incude plenty of X-Men characters and many non-X-men characters as well.
    Hopefully there's be plenty of supplements to expand on characters and locations.

Quote Originally Posted by Starfish View Post
    I'm definitely excited about this. I have the Marvel Heroic Roleplaying game by Margaret Weis, but sadly didn't get many chances to run it. It used the Cortex system, so I'm curious to see how this one will differ.

Hopefully there's be plenty of supplements to expand on characters and locations.
    I used to have a copy of old facerip marvel through rpg, but I lost it, and I still have fond memory of all the supplements they put out. I hope this new rpg game will be as good

Yes. It seems nowadays they tend to see how 1 or 2 modules do before releasing more, instead of releasing lots of them. When people see their favorites, they will buy the books. It stinks when having only a few dozen characters and then they cancel the system and there is not way to figure out the stats for non-published favorites. I Hope this one does well and we get all of the characters, lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Baron of Faltine View Post
    I used to have a copy of old facerip marvel through rpg, but I lost it, and I still have fond memory of all the supplements they put out. I hope this new rpg game will be as good
    Yes, those were great.They had a lot of good stats for characters. I do not know the system this one uses, but some of the old FACERIP stats do not seem to be listed as those they used, such as Fighting, Strength and the Mental stats.
    Last edited by Phoenixx9; 06-20-2021 at 02:21 PM.

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

This has the potential to be cool. But I will only get particularly excited if indeed there are a lot of X-Men in it. And not just Logan, Ororo, Jean and Scott. Give me Kurt, Betsy, Raven, Erik, Emma, Bobby...
    A picture would last longer darling...

Ultimate Member

"Use Might, Agility, Resilience, Vigilance, Ego, and Logic to win the day, and discover your true abilities as you face impossible odds!"

Sounds a bit like Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Wisdom, Charisma and Intelligence from D&D or M&M. I wonder if there's more in common with that game, like level-based design, or it's more point-based like Mutants & Masterminds or GURPS.

The best system(s) are when different levels of abilities can be designated, separating out the weaker and stronger characters, instead of lumping everyone with that power into the same level of category.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    The best system(s) are when different levels of abilities can be designated, separating out the weaker and stronger characters, instead of lumping everyone with that power into the same level of category.
    Agreed. Whether it's a flat damage rating (like M&Ms guns that do +3 to +5, and stuff like Thor's hammer or Cyclop's zaps being +12 to +15) or ever-increasing handfuls of d6s like D&D (where a gun would do like 1d8+something, and Thor's hammer would do 5d10+X or more!), there definitely needs to be some range, so that some people zap like Stinger (of the Alliance of Evil) or Match (of the Academy X years) and others like Havok and Storm!

Looks interesting (although I think I'll wait for the complete game book to come out). Really want to see X-23 and the New X-Men represented, in terms of X-Men stuff, although I'm most hoping that the game does embrace the multiverse part of the title and give us the tools to not only play in realities outside of the main comics (like the movies, MC2, etc), but to also custom create our own versions of the Marvel Universe.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Looks interesting (although I think I'll wait for the complete game book to come out). Really want to see X-23 and the New X-Men represented, in terms of X-Men stuff, although I'm most hoping that the game does embrace the multiverse part of the title and give us the tools to not only play in realities outside of the main comics (like the movies, MC2, etc), but to also custom create our own versions of the Marvel Universe.
    I doubt they'll be in the core book, but the X-Men supplement for the Margaret Weis game had stats and bios for plenty of Academy X kids, so hopefully the new game won't disappoint in that regard.

I doubt they'll be in the core book, but the X-Men supplement for the Margaret Weis game had stats and bios for plenty of Academy X kids, so hopefully the new game won't disappoint in that regard.
    Having supplements for the big franchises (the Spider-Verse, the Avengers, the X-Men, etc.) would be nice; it would give lots of details for players who love those franchises and want to make extensive use of them while allowing those who aren't so into it to spend their gaming money on other installments more relevant to them. If they do an X-Men one, I do hope its configured so that it would work in any era and not just be devoted to the current Hickman materials (seems like these games often go for the current status quo).

Think I saw pages from some of the Weis materials. Remember thinking that they seemed way too tied to retelling comic book events rather then letting players make up their own stories, but they did have stuff for the Runaways, which I hope we get in this new one, too.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

I like when there are different book supplements that break down into groups because they can include lots of characters that way, even ones that maybe do not really fit there, but have "teamed-up" or appeared before with them. There are so many characters and I like when we can get official versions of them. Also, even the main characters have all changed in looks, power levels, power themselves may be different, etc.

I Hope this is really good and that we keep hearing things about it as it progresses!