Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Kraven wasn't in Clone Conspiracy. Slott preferred him dead and ignored him, like Spencer should have if he wanted him dead. Or commited to killing him.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    How can all the Kindred/OMD stuff be resolved in a satisfactory manner in 2-3 months? Anyway my answer is dependent on that.

If it’s not resolved, I’d give the run a D.

If it’s resolved in a rushed, slapdash way that somewhat addresses the “deal”, but keeps the consequences of OMD in place, I give the run a C-. (I think this is the most likely scenario)

If it’s addressed in a satisfactory way that restores Spidey’s status quo pre-OMD, (EXTREMELY unlikely imo) I’ll give it a B-.

Spencer didn’t permanently damage the character like Slott, but he has some of the worst pacing I’ve ever seen.
    Yeah I guess we all know that it's going to be the first or the second option. Not the third. Some parts like Sins Past and Last Remains were dragged out as hell- and now we're rushing through plot points with key events being in annuals/extra-sized issues/different mini-series. But let's be honest, the whole "OMD cancelling" thing is not up to him, especially not after he left for another company. It's up to Marvel bosses and editors.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Which company is Spencer moving to? I think I missed that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dinosaur Hulk View Post
    Yeah I guess we all know that it's going to be the first or the second option. Not the third. Some parts like Sins Past and Last Remains were dragged out as hell- and now we're rushing through plot points with key events being in annuals/extra-sized issues/different mini-series. But let's be honest, the whole "OMD cancelling" thing is not up to him, especially not after he left for another company. It's up to Marvel bosses and editors.
    Last Remains was where the pacing became problematic.
    Sins Rising was pretty dope in pacing, IMO. It all came together to one of the best Norman Osborn issues I’ve read in a long time.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    Which company is Spencer moving to? I think I missed that.
    Substack.It pays much better than Marvel and he gets a better position.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    But now we have Kraven as though nothing had happened. If Spencer was committed to killing Kraven off, he wouldn't replace him with an identical clone.

I fell of the series around the time that Aunt May was interacting with Mr. Li, so I'm not sure what you're talking about.
    I'll get back to you on the Kraven stuff.Gonna check some of Slott's work.

Oh okay.Well spoilers......

It was revealed that when Carlie Cooper was captured that Harry was in the same prison as her so Kindred is not harry or atleast not our harry.
    The most popular theory is that he is Pre-OMD Harry.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    How can all the Kindred/OMD stuff be resolved in a satisfactory manner in 2-3 months? Anyway my answer is dependent on that.

If it’s not resolved, I’d give the run a D.

If it’s resolved in a rushed, slapdash way that somewhat addresses the “deal”, but keeps the consequences of OMD in place, I give the run a C-. (I think this is the most likely scenario)

If it’s addressed in a satisfactory way that restores Spidey’s status quo pre-OMD, (EXTREMELY unlikely imo) I’ll give it a B-.

Spencer didn’t permanently damage the character like Slott, but he has some of the worst pacing I’ve ever seen.
    Because the shear amount of comics we are getting mounts to like 8 months of comics.
    We are getting 3x ASM with a giant size and also getting a mini that takes place among this.We are getting an issue almost every week and 2 giant sizes and one ultra size 80 page finale.Most comics have 1 issue per month and ASM has 2 per month on average.
    Spencer's run has 3x with giant sizes and a mini not included not to mention the 80 page finale.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Substack.It pays much better than Marvel and he gets a better position.
    I can’t say I blame him. I don’t know much about the behind the scenes, but I feel like he’s had to make lots of unwanted changes.

Astonishing Member

I can’t say I blame him. I don’t know much about the behind the scenes, but I feel like he’s had to make lots of unwanted changes.
    Spencer is the one who said “I know the beginning, middle and end of the story” so I do not know how many unwanted changes he had to do? I find him at fault for bad timing and not finishing Kindred two years ago. While I hope and pray Peter and MJ are together and OMD is history, I am very much afraid of either a JMS type F Up where he left Amazing without getting rid of Sins Past or something else negative happens. I keep going back to the title “What cost victory?”

Mighty Member

I have been enjoying Spencer's run. I am grateful for him bringing Peter and Mary Jane back together as a couple. I am glad that Peter and Felicia are in a friendship again with Peter letting her know that he's Spider-Man.

I have been having the "go with the flow" approach to the comics. I am not expecting anything. I have no impatience about anything.

I give Spencer's run a grade of B.
    I created a thread about Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Koriand'r/Starfire. It is to acknowledge and honor their iconic and popular relationship.

I created a fan page about Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson. This page is for all the Spider-Marriage fans.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    Spencer is the one who said “I know the beginning, middle and end of the story” so I do not know how many unwanted changes he had to do? I find him at fault for bad timing and not finishing Kindred two years ago. While I hope and pray Peter and MJ are together and OMD is history, I am very much afraid of either a JMS type F Up where he left Amazing without getting rid of Sins Past or something else negative happens. I keep going back to the title “What cost victory?”
    Peter and Mary Jane are together since the ending of Spencer's first issue. I just hope that they stay together.
    As for OMD, I really don't care what happens. I am not expecting anything. I just go with the flow.
    Last edited by Starrius; 06-23-2021 at 08:53 PM.
    I created a thread about Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Koriand'r/Starfire. It is to acknowledge and honor their iconic and popular relationship.

I created a fan page about Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson. This page is for all the Spider-Marriage fans.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Last Remains was where the pacing became problematic.
    Sins Rising was pretty dope in pacing, IMO. It all came together to one of the best Norman Osborn issues I’ve read in a long time.
    I dunno, I felt the pacing was fine if you ignored the .LR companion issues. Especially if you read them in one setting.

As for grading Spencer’s run, it’s hard to grade it without reading the ending first. How well he lands the ending is a pretty significant factor.
    Last edited by Arsenal; 06-23-2021 at 01:46 PM.

Definitely better then what came before him. The Slott days were some dark moments for Spider-Man fans. The Spencer run just had a much better feel to it. I’m probably bias as hell as well because I can’t stand Slott. I’ve had interactions over message boards that weren’t pleasant at all. Just never been a fan of him or his writing style. All that being said, there were definitely issues with Spencer’s run. Too many tie ins with big events and a ton of wasted opportunity with the kindred arc. It’s just gone on for way too long at this point without much being added. Major props to him though for being the one writer with the balls to tackle OMD...I just wish it was done better without so much blatant padding.

Still though, he’s made Peter/MJ a focus and that’s always a good thing as for as I’m concerned. He was also first writer to give me some hope that a possible “marriage” can happen again.

Anyway, bottom line. Spencer is definitely good, but he doesn’t get a free pass...there were some definite low points during his run. Hopefully he knocks everything out of the park with his run coming to an end. Hell, get Peter and MJ married on your way out the door lol....wishful thinking....

Mighty Member

I've been broadly enjoying Spencer's run with some of the similar caveats listed elsewhere (2099 sucked, some pacing issues), but with the way the solicits are lining up and whatever they're teasing with Beyond, it kind of looks like Spencer will end his run more like Bendis and Brubaker ended their runs on DD: closing off an arc but with a huge cliffhanger for others to deal with.

If that guess is correct, that will complicate rating his run further. Let's say ASM 74 establishes Peter's knowledge of the Deal and his commitment to getting out of it - that's a fine ending to Spencer's arc and a fair conclusion to what has been teased. However, if the next team fumbles the execution or the Deal never gets circumvented, how does that paint Spencer's run?

That's far too many words for my current grade of Incomplete but trending towards a high B
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

I always imagined the end of Spencer's run would somehow tie back to the first issue and go full circle. I always wondered why he started his run on this and it's not just a one time mention. However, if he left prematurely maybe he can't end on this and will have to leave that to other writers. I do wonder if his vision is going to be executed as originally intended.

I'm not going to attempt to score his run until I read the final issue.