Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    How were those depictions of Peter and MJ different?
    Peter from AF #15 to New Avengers changed a lot, but it was a natural change. It was part of growing up. One reason why I like Peter and MJ being together isn't just because I like MJ as a character (althrough that is part of it), it's because we got to see Peter grow as a Person. The Lee-Ditko era portrayed Peter as someone who was a bit selfish. That's kind of the whole point, he is a neurotic teenager who had the weight of the World on his shoulders, he was going to be a bit of a jerk from time to time. But we love that era regardless because there is growth. Would the Spider-Man from Amazing Fantasy 15 be able to pull himself out of machinery? Probably not, but the weight of 30 issues led to that point.
    There was a progression there.
    I actually do see where Slott is coming from, as the BND era is kind of a regression to the Lee-Romita days. Peter was in that stage where he was old enough to deal with adult responsibilities like having a job and being independent, but young enough to deal with relationship problems and be outgoing. But this was a tiny era in the history of Spider-man, but it was the era folks like Quesada and Slott grew up with. That's what they remember and that's what they want back.
    The 80's and to an extent, the 90's are actually pretty good eras for the progression of Peter Parker. He is an adult now and he doesn't go out all too much. He had to be the Peter Parker who he is. Mary-Jane being an actress and Model is actually a pretty good way to not only show that he doesn't care if his Wife earns more than him, but also allows him to be Spider-Man and Independent without any financial issues.

And while Marvel tried to throw that all away with Clone Saga and beyond, JMS brought it back and made their relationship the central focus of his fun. This was the Peter Parker we wanted and this was where the Peter Parker from Amazing Fantasy #15 would go.

But now with BND, Slott and even Spencer to some extent, he has become the teenager from the Romita era again, struggling with a job and relationship issues. Spencer has tried to fix that, but his run hasn't been about them. It's been more to do with their Marriage and how bad OMD was. For a run which should have focused on the two of them, they feel more like supporting Characters. Even with MJ going away for a year, there wasn't much interaction between them. We got a few issues but that was it. We never got to see how much Peter misses her, he only says he does.
    What Spencer needed to do was progress their relationship from the JMS era instead of responding to OMD.
    I like his run enough, but it's a tribute band instead of being inspired by.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFJamie94 View Post
    He is moving over to Substack.
    He will have this proper newsletter ? Because i have no heard if he will have this newsletter. In the contrary is a shame if he will write no more comics.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dioman-san View Post
    He will have this proper newsletter ? Because i have no heard if he will have this newsletter. In the contrary is a shame if he will write no more comics.
    It seems to be more of a executive position, he is probably the one which got everyone good substack deals.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Spider-Man's old supporting cast dying off is fine as long as they're not all dead and new, diverse characters are introduced to have stories about instead. Slott tried.
    It would be cool if Tigra(Police Officer/CSI), Jessica Drew(Weird/ Supernatural), and Jennifer Walters(BFF) were part of Peter's rotating supporting cast in a civilian role and occasional guest role working alongside him. It worked for Mockingbird and Peter for a time until Slott ruined it with the unnecessary romance.
    Last edited by Darthfury78; 09-16-2021 at 01:02 AM.

Spectacular Member

He needs to stick the landing, he´s already done so much to correct the **** that's been done since Sins Past, he just needs to follow through on his "promise".

All thats´s left are OMD and OMIT, aka, the stories that broke Peter and MJ as characters.
    It feels that he won't undo it, rather have both Peter and MJ remember and acknowledge it.

Looking back, he definitely dragged his feet only to rush most of his stories at the end, King´s ransom, chameleon conspiracy after years of build up...the conclusions feel rushed and sloppy.
    The art is uneven and at time just plain awful.

Again, if he sticks the landing I´d rate him just below PAD, DeFalco tier and above Micheline (Stern and JMS are my top tier with JMD close behind).

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Noronha View Post
    He needs to stick the landing, he´s already done so much to correct the **** that's been done since Sins Past, he just needs to follow through on his "promise".

All thats´s left are OMD and OMIT, aka, the stories that broke Peter and MJ as characters.
    It feels that he won't undo it, rather have both Peter and MJ remember and acknowledge it.

Looking back, he definitely dragged his feet only to rush most of his stories at the end, King´s ransom, chameleon conspiracy after years of build up...the conclusions feel rushed and sloppy.
    The art is uneven and at time just plain awful.

Again, if he sticks the landing I´d rate him just below PAD, DeFalco tier and above Micheline (Stern and JMS are my top tier with JMD close behind).
    I will add these unanswered question to see if he “Sticks The Landing” Both are based on the title of 874. What Cost Victory? Obviously we know Aunt May will not be “Sleeping With The Fish” Peter and for that matter MJ survive, and they are still together. So what will the cost be and who will be paying it? I wonder if it will be Norman sacrificing himself, and ( or) is it Peter’s secret identity? Maybe just maybe Aunt May admits she knows he is Spider-Man and hid it for years ( like MJ did), which is why she got Otto involved?
    Last edited by NC_Yankee; 09-17-2021 at 06:01 AM.

Mighty Member

D. Maybe D+. What a disappointment. I reserve the right to change my mind when I re-read it in trade (when the last volume is out, I'll re-read the whole thing), but this was well below my expectations for a finale and a real shame of a last act*. None of the teases were paid off, the last 2-3 arcs were just unmotivated twists that didn't do much, and were twists that I didn't enjoy either because of the substance (oh, wait, Teresa might not be the sister) or the complete lack of payoff (e.g. Ned and Betty). None of the Mephisto?AI Harry stuff actually makes sense at a granular level (I'm fine with "I had a vision so I messed with Peter" at a more coarse level), and given that nothing in this story set anything in stone (other than Gwen's lack of an affair), it's not hard to see all of the "table setting" Spencer was trying to do be washed away with ease.

*We are rating the run, not the writer, not what should or could have happened, etc. Editorial interference or not, what's on the page is the run, and the end sucked.
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Astonishing Member

I’ll give the run a C average.

For comparison’s sake, I think Slott was a D+

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post

I am giving Spencer an F. We have been over the ending multiple times and no one says it is good. But in addition it during the run it seemed like he threw lots of you know what against the wall hoping it would stick ( think Order Of The Web as one example). I would also note his pathetic Parker/Damsel In Distress version of Peter ( almost as bad as Man Child). While I give him credit for MJ and Felicia, I still say none of his stories are as good as RYV or Spider Island.

Yeah this feels accurate. Spencer had my favorite take on Spidey’s voice and his relationship with MJ since OMD, but he wrote checks he couldn’t cash and I don’t think his run will get much fondness.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Spectacular Member

D

For comparison’s sake, I think Slott was a Z

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    I am giving Spencer an F. We have been over the ending multiple times and no one says it is good. But in addition it during the run it seemed like he threw lots of you know what against the wall hoping it would stick ( think Order Of The Web as one example). I would also note his pathetic Parker/Damsel In Distress version of Peter ( almost as bad as Man Child). While I give him credit for MJ and Felicia, I still say none of his stories are as good as RYV or Spider Island.
    On the other hand, none of Spencer’s stories were as bad as Clone Conspiracy, Alpha, The Parker Luck, or that whole Worldwide/Parker Industries crap. IMO, of course.

Extraordinary Member

Pretty much this.I'd say Spencer is C+ but yeah

Astonishing Member

The run was a disappointment now since i read the last issue and I can look at it more objectively and no longer anticipate every coming issue. C. not regarded as one of the great spidey runs, i can see why friendly nieghborhood by tom taylor that came out around the same time was more well graded. athough there things about spencer run i did enjoy. I like Fred, I love that Peter and Mj acted more like old friends that i haven't read since OMD started especially them as a loving couple. so the character work on Peter and MJ was a massive improvement compare to Slott previous run. however the pacing was really bad, I tried to look in the good of it and see if I can rewarded in the end but I guess its old history again when I continued Tom King's Batman.

Wig Over The Hoodie Style IamnotJudasTraveller's Avatar

Having read the conclusion (such as it was), D- from me.