Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Default Knowing it’s ending, how would you rate Spencer’s run?

High points/low points?

I realise with the Kindred stuff, we can’t really tell how good and how much of an impact this run will have on Spider-Man going forward. But we can sure speculate. What do you guys think?

I think - if it sticks the landing with everything it’s promised (addressing OMD in some capacity, Peter/MJ relationship, satisfying conclusion to Harry) it really could be one of the best. But it literally comes down to the landing. If it falters in anyway, I fear it’s going to drop into being a forgettable run with a few high points.

High points -
    Sins Rising. 850 was fabulous.
    Low points -
    Whatever the hell that 2099 story was trying to be.

A good pallet cleanser after Slott and some genuinely fun stories, to me it felt more Spider-Man than we'd been getting prior, but also a lot of missed opportunities, inconsistent rotating art, and less than stellar pacing.

BANNED

Don't cry that it's over, be glad it happened.

On the whole it's quite a solid consistent run, it's funny, action-driven, character-centered. It's got great single issues and great stories.
    -- HUNTED
    -- ASM#1
    -- "Trivia Night" ASM#5-6
    -- ASM#25, #29, #60 (what I'm calling "The MJ trilogy")
    -- ASM#850 aka the greatest Green Goblin story since Paul Jenkins and Mark Millar wrote Spider-Man.

Along with Gerry Duggan's MARAUDERS, it's the one Marvel title that's been a consistent ball of fun and charisma over the last three years.

Spencer's Run > O'Neill, Wein, Wolfman, The 2nd Clone Saga and Post-Clone Saga, BND, Dan Slott.
    On par with = Tom Defalco.
    More consistent (if not as great) than --> Lee-Romita, David Michelinie

It's not in my pantheon i.e. Ditko, Conway, Stern, JMS, but then that's a very high bar anyway.

besides 2099 arc I enjoyed the run. Didnt have any major expectations for it to begin with. Well since its not finished yet that can changed. Still dont know how the kindred plot will be wrap up but hopefully it will be done gracefully. Oh in terms of art really hated its inconsistency
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

The Superior Spider-clone SpideyClone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Don't cry that it's over, be glad it happened.

On the whole it's quite a solid consistent run, it's funny, action-driven, character-centered. It's got great single issues and great stories.
    -- HUNTED
    -- ASM#1
    -- "Trivia Night" ASM#5-6
    -- ASM#25, #29, #60 (what I'm calling "The MJ trilogy")
    -- ASM#850 aka the greatest Green Goblin story since Paul Jenkins and Mark Millar wrote Spider-Man.

Along with Gerry Duggan's MARAUDERS, it's the one Marvel title that's been a consistent ball of fun and charisma over the last three years.

Spencer's Run > O'Neill, Wein, Wolfman, The 2nd Clone Saga and Post-Clone Saga, BND, Dan Slott.
    On par with = Tom Defalco.
    More consistent (if not as great) than --> Lee-Romita, David Michelinie

It's not in my pantheon i.e. Ditko, Conway, Stern, JMS, but then that's a very high bar anyway.
    Not crying that it's over, nor glad that it happened.

For me Spencer never just hit the heights he did in Superior Foes of Spider-man. I enjoyed the hell out of that book. But his ASM just felt tepid to me, and drawn out. Adding Fred Myers/Boomerang as a roommate and supporting character I think took too much attention away from Peter. I liked the Hunted storyline, I liked what Spencer's done with the Osborns and possibly addressing OMD through Kindred, but for me he's really going to have to nail the landing for me to want to say this was a memorable run in the same breath I would say Super Foes was.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SpideyClone View Post
    Not crying that it's over, nor glad that it happened.

For me Spencer never just hit the heights he did in Superior Foes of Spider-man. I enjoyed the hell out of that book.
    That's fair. The Superior Foes of Spider-Man is a great book and it's a more original contribution to Spider-Man's mythos than I suppose most of the stuff in his run, which probably will make it more valuable going forward. You are never gonna imagine Spider-Man's lower tier rogues the same way after Spencer.

But his ASM just felt tepid to me, and drawn out. Adding Fred Myers/Boomerang as a roommate and supporting character I think took too much attention away from Peter.
    If you jot it down, he wasn't present in as many issues as you make it out to be.

Extraordinary Member

Even though there was some good action...I am not going to miss him.

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

I found it very mid. It started off great, but it honestly felt like it the vast majority of the run was filler/treading water except for a couple of the event stories. It also was very much more Spidey-focused than Peter-focused, which is the exact opposite of what I want from any Spider-Man run. There were some standout stories and issues though, but the overall tepidity means I'll probably rate it as a B- overall. Of course, there's a lot of room for my rating to change depending on how the conclusion of this run goes.
    "Anyone can win a fight when the odds are easy! It's when the going's tough - when there seems to be no chance - that's when it counts!" - Spider-Man

Astonishing Member

Spencer called this his "love letter to Spider-Man". Well, excuse me, but I don't see much "love" to Spider-Man in a story that literally makes him goes through Hell itself.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    A good pallet cleanser after Slott and some genuinely fun stories, to me it felt more Spider-Man than we'd been getting prior, but also a lot of missed opportunities, inconsistent rotating art, and less than stellar pacing.
    I agree, it was a really fun series that wasn't too dour; but I was sad once Ottley left - but happy when Gleason came on board

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    Spencer called this his "love letter to Spider-Man". Well, excuse me, but I don't see much "love" to Spider-Man in a story that literally makes him goes through Hell itself.
    love is subjective is it not?
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

give me my money back
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

why are only spider-man readers obsessed with his happiness, we need stories
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    why are only spider-man readers obsessed with his happiness, we need stories
    You can have a story when the main character is happy, you know? And I'm quite sick of Marvel not allowing Peter Parker to go foarward with his life. Spider-Man's secret of sucess is the fact readers identify with him. But who is going to identify itself with Spider-Man when every try of going forward makes him go back to square one.

It seems a bit early to tell.

If Spencer nails the landing, his run will be better than if the rest of his run (two giant-sizes specials, multiple issues of Amazing Spider-Man, the Sinister War mini-series) sucks.

Some of his plot points haven't been resolved yet. We don't know if the answers are satisfying, or if the execution is good.

This reminds me of something Bendis wrote, when asked about all the bad stuff he did to Daredevil.

I get this all the time. They say, “You really hate Daredevil. Look how mean you are to Daredevil.” I’m like, “Would you really buy a book about him enjoying a sandwich? ‘What a great sandwich. I’m going to eat this for 22 pages, and I’m going to be so happy.'” I may do it just to prove a point. Have Wolverine going, “This is the best bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwich I’ve ever had in my life!”
    Putting a character through tough situations doesn't mean a writer hates the character.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets