Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by bigstupidjellyfish View Post
    It’s not just this site that hates Spencer’s run. Reddit hates it, Twitter hates it, a lot of comic critics hate it, I’m in like five comics discords and in each one we all **** on it.

Let’s be real, Spencer’s run is Spider-Man for fake nerd boys.
    What exactly do you/they hate it?
    Last edited by Agent Z; 06-22-2021 at 06:47 AM.

BANNED

It’s not just this site that hates Spencer’s run. Reddit hates it, ...

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    This run has gotten so much praise on other sites and most youtubers and commentators love it.
    CBR is the only place people are hating on it and for no good reason.
    Again he fixed Peter's character, gave him growth.
    Gave us Peter and MJ.
    Fixed Black Cat.
    Killed Kraven in a way that was respectful to last hunt.
    And all this is just the top of the tower.
    People out here really defending trash like Slott and Superior and then saying this run is bad.
    As far as Black Cat is concerned, shouldn’t the fan hate be directed toward editorial? Yeah the Slott presented the idea of “Queenpin” but editorial should have said no. So realistically speaking the hate should be toward them.

Gave Peter growth? Where? Peter is still bummy needing to rely on room mates. He has no job. He’s back in college but how often have we seen him there during this run? Curt Conners was offering sort of job and Peter was “thinking about it” for a ton of issues. Did it ever come up again because I can’t recall. What growth has Peter gained in this run?

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by xpyred View Post
    As far as Black Cat is concerned, shouldn’t the fan hate be directed toward editorial? Yeah the Slott presented the idea of “Queenpin” but editorial should have said no. So realistically speaking the hate should be toward them.

Gave Peter growth? Where? Peter is still bummy needing to rely on room mates. He has no job. He’s back in college but how often have we seen him there during this run? Curt Conners was offering sort of job and Peter was “thinking about it” for a ton of issues. Did it ever come up again because I can’t recall. What growth has Peter gained in this run?
    agreed, on both points
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

It’s not just this site that hates Spencer’s run. Reddit hates it, Twitter hates it, a lot of comic critics hate it, I’m in like five comics discords and in each one we all **** on it.

Hahaha. Why would you go on five discords to “shit” on something you don’t like?
    General consensus seems to be its an “in-the-middle” type run that fixed a lot and stagnated in some parts, too. The ending might decide which way it gets tipped in the long run.

And no, it’s not for fake nerd boys. Spencer pulls out every rogue he can possibly think of, references old feuds with Harry and fixes some retcons some even forgot about. And let’s not forget he realised Peter and MJ should always be a thing.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    I don't see anybody really hating on it, and most of us who think it's okay or mediocre have given reasons.

Sorry we don't agree with the consensus of "other sites and most youtubers and commentators" but frankly I don't care to echo their opinions. I and others here have given their own opinions, good and bad.
    You guys's "reasoning" is Pacing and it won't address OMD.
    I agree with the pacing bit but it's not as bad as people make it out to be.Specially because this run has great characterization(which we haven't gotten for so long) and is driven by it.
    And the 2nd is just assuming.Of course it will be addressed.They have addressed it.Doc Strange talked with Mephisto about it and it's hinted that MJ knows about it to.We got an entire issue that was a parallel to BND.We got panels that were Harry and MJ on bridge.I understand being worries but you can't judge a run by stuff that hasn't happened yet.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    Hahaha. Why would you go on five discords to “****” on something you don’t like?
    General consensus seems to be its an “in-the-middle” type run that fixed a lot and stagnated in some parts, too. The ending might decide which way it gets tipped in the long run.

And no, it’s not for fake nerd boys. Spencer pulls out every rogue he can possibly think of, references old feuds with Harry and fixes some retcons some even forgot about. And let’s not forget he realised Peter and MJ should always be a thing.
    It's for fans who have been with Spidey for long.
    I am a newer reader and read Mordern Spidey only.Spencer's run got me to read the entire 800 issues.I got through them slowly and it was worth it.
    Every review of the run in general and specific issues has been decent to good.
    many people on IG love it, Many Youtubers big and small have made videos on it with good reviews and most people would agree.
    The sales are a big factor and even not so important issues sell excellently this late into the run.
    ASM outsold X-men 20 even though the issue has nothing to do with OMD or Kindred.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by xpyred View Post

Again Slott did come up with the idea.By your logic shouldn't every bad idea be blamed on to editorial.This is an excuse and a bad one at that.
    Editorial is to blame when they interfere and make changes that make stories horrible like Sins Past and OMD stuff.

Peter self reflects.He calls himself out on flaws and works on them.ASM 60 is just one great example of this.
    His stuff with Gog at the end when Bullseye shot his collar and he had to put it back was brilliant.We see him reflect on how his attitude effected his friends in the superhero community.He did so much more work on character than Slott in much less time.Giving up the TnM deal,etc. The BND era only made his character worse.
    I got this from a twitter post that makes my point perfectly:-
    "What I'm getting from Nick Spencer's first issue of ASM is that he has to write consequences for all the shady and out of character things Peter did in Slott's run. Taking credit for Otto's achievements to get ahead in life? That's not Spidey. Good work, Mr. Spencer!"
    He is fixing a decade of Slott's mess.
    We see him work with Jamie with the Clairovoyant stuff but definitely should have seen his college stuff more.I do agree on that.
    Last edited by Spiderfan001; 06-22-2021 at 10:05 AM.

Extraordinary Member

I just checked the 2 sites and...

Reddit is pretty split on it and it's leaning towards like.The people who say they dislike it just say 2099 or drag.
    Any links for twitter.Just found a random guy and one who was making a point and a good one for Spencer's Run.It's mentioned above.

Astonishing Member

This run has gotten so much praise on other sites and most youtubers and commentators love it.
    Gave us Peter and MJ.
    Fixed Black Cat.
    People out here really defending trash like Slott and Superior and then saying this run is bad.
    I have not defended Dan Slott: I actually gave him a Grade of F for his run ( despite a few good ideas like RYV and Spider Island). As for Spencer, for me it is a necessity that he deliver on the ending: For example: Do not promise a Peter/MJ happy ending cover and fail to deliver ( although the title “What cost victory” gives me pause). Pulling something negative or slick wll be like the Jackpot BS served up by Slott. Do not forget the Strange/Mephisto panel or the BND reminder issue and leave things hanging. It is fair to point out the good in Spencer’s run: Black Cat, Peter and MJ and Hunted ( especially Gibbon) and the bad: Peter as a Damsel In Distress, constantly losing and 2099. Basically he is not Ditko nor is he Slott.
    Last edited by NC_Yankee; 06-22-2021 at 10:24 AM.

Astonishing Member

Gave us Peter and MJ.
    Fixed Black Cat.
    You do realize that he replaced Kraven with an identical clone right. Not to mention Peter and MJ haven't really been doing things together lately.

Honestly, nothing's really happened in Spencer's run.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    You do realize that he replaced Kraven with an identical clone right. Not to mention Peter and MJ haven't really been doing things together lately.

Honestly, nothing's really happened in Spencer's run.
    Well, the Kraven thing was a way to put Kraven's Last Hunt to rest in a respectful way while more or less keeping Kraven around. It made sense even if it didn't really change much in the end.

The thing with MJ was partially writing her out for her own book but now that that's over she's only recently gotten re-introduced to the book.

I just checked the 2 sites and...

Reddit is pretty split on it and it's leaning towards like.The people who say they dislike it just say 2099 or drag.
    Any links for twitter.Just found a random guy and one who was making a point and a good one for Spencer's Run.It's mentioned above.
    Yeah, Dan Slott's run generates far more hatred than Spencer's run currently. Most people (myself included) seem to think it was a fun little average run, as of now.
    Last edited by Celgress; 06-22-2021 at 12:43 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Spencer's ideas were generally good even if executed badly. He didn't fix Black Cat because she was never really good, McKay made her good. Hunted is a good idea but the clone stuff doesn't work because it's not geniune. Kindred should have been revealed at the end of the first year. The Sin Eater stuff was great until it wasn't. Art's a mess. Blah, blah, blah.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    I have not defended Dan Slott: I actually gave him a Grade of F for his run ( despite a few good ideas like RYV and Spider Island). As for Spencer, for me it is a necessity that he deliver on the ending: For example: Do not promise a Peter/MJ happy ending cover and fail to deliver ( although the title “What cost victory” gives me pause). Pulling something negative or slick wll be like the Jackpot BS served up by Slott. Do not forget the Strange/Mephisto panel or the BND reminder issue and leave things hanging. It is fair to point out the good in Spencer’s run: Black Cat, Peter and MJ and Hunted ( especially Gibbon) and the bad: Peter as a Damsel In Distress, constantly losing and 2099. Basically he is not Ditko nor is he Slott.
    I agree.It's not one of the greatest runs ever but it is still good.
    Again OMD is the main plot point of the run and has many branches like Kindred, Mephisto, Mysterio etc. so it will take time but we will go all in one week.We get last ASM issue tommorow and then the Giant Size and then it's time to deal with all these.