Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Also, there is one big hanging plot thread that has not been followed up on that Spencer spent a few different issues building on. I do wonder if he is going to do anything before he leaves.... it's like Peter spent the whole time waiting for MJ to return for this and now she's back and it's like he completely forgot. LOL

Last edited by Vortex85; 06-24-2021 at 09:02 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    Also, there is one big hanging plot thread that has not been followed up on that Spencer spent a few different issues building on. I do wonder if he is going to do anything before he leaves.... it's like Peter spent the whole time waiting for MJ to return for this and now she's back and it's like he completely forgot. LOL

Well considering all the stuff he is going through I think we can understand.
    But he will definitely address this.
    I think this run will end with them being engaged

This. This issue almost seems like another life time at this point. I’m seriously hoping that it wasn’t just one big massive tease because nothing at all has come of it. It hasn’t been addressed in any fashion. Again, maybe it just me being naive but I’m still holding out hope that everything plays out well. Although I got to say, Spencer hasn’t been giving me much to be hopeful for because of all this long dragging out method of storytelling.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Kraven wasn't in Clone Conspiracy. Slott preferred him dead and ignored him, like Spencer should have if he wanted him dead. Or commited to killing him.
    Honestly, Grim Hunt was a good compromise for the idea of bringing Kraven back. Having Kraven get resurrected with the attitude of “why the hell would you ruin the great ending I made for myself”? That’s clever. If you think Kraven should’ve stayed dead, well, Kraven agrees with you.

I typically enjoy Spencer's work more than not, but this run has been very underwhelming to me. Boomerang overstayed his welcome, I could care less about Kraven and that Hunted story line lasted entirely to long, too many giant sized specials, fill in issues, etc. I will be glad to move on.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    Honestly, Grim Hunt was a good compromise for the idea of bringing Kraven back. Having Kraven get resurrected with the attitude of “why the hell would you ruin the great ending I made for myself”? That’s clever. If you think Kraven should’ve stayed dead, well, Kraven agrees with you.
    Ehhhh…. ‘Grim Hunt’ wasn’t terrible by itself, but within the context of undoing one of the best Spidey stories ever it never should’ve been done. The reluctance of some writers to use Kraven even after his return, reminds me of how some DD writers similarly refuse to use Elektra, even decades after she was brought back. But… there’s really no sacred cows left in comics. The latest unnecessary resurrection is Ned, and I’m not surprised even one bit. I wouldn’t be surprised if the REAL Gwen (not clone or alt-version) comes back within the decade. They’ve been testing those waters for years.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Ehhhh…. ‘Grim Hunt’ wasn’t terrible by itself, but within the context of undoing one of the best Spidey stories ever it never should’ve been done. The reluctance of some writers to use Kraven even after his return, reminds me of how some DD writers similarly refuse to use Elektra, even decades after she was brought back.
    Zdarsky is telling the first essential story for Elektra since her resurrection.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Well considering all the stuff he is going through I think we can understand.
    But he will definitely address this.
    I think this run will end with them being engaged
    If indeed Peter and MJ are engaged ( or married), then why is Peter going to have a nervous breakdown? If hypothetically speaking OMD is being erased then Aunt May dies and the traumatic experience could cause a breakdown. But according to the solicits, Mephisto is not going to be ASM 874 so I do not see that story going away ( or even dealt with). I also understand the wedding ring but the fact the wedding ring is on MJ’s opposite hand, is a clue that something is not right ( think of the upside down flag as a sign of distress). I also think that it will NOT be Peter choosing Ben Reilly but MJ. Why? because there is still a need for Spider-Man (like she did with Miles in Life Story by giving him Peter’s costume). I will also note the comments by Nick Lowe about what Spider-Man is about and breaking Peter. That plus the fact he died so many times at the hands of Kindred, makes you think he will not die, but instead be fitted for a straight jacket at Ravencroft. That also feeds into the “Pathetic Peter” punchline at Marvel.
    Last edited by NC_Yankee; 06-27-2021 at 07:23 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    If indeed Peter and MJ are engaged ( or married), then why is Peter going to have a nervous breakdown? If hypothetically speaking OMD is being erased then Aunt May dies and the traumatic experience could cause a breakdown. But according to the solicits, Mephisto is not going to be ASM 874 so I do not see that story going away ( or even dealt with). I also understand the wedding ring but the fact the wedding ring is on MJ’s opposite hand, is a clue that something is not right ( think of the upside down flag as a sign of distress). I also think that it will NOT be Peter choosing Ben Reilly but MJ. Why? because there is still a need for Spider-Man (like she did with Miles in Life Story by giving him Peter’s costume). I will also note the comments by Nick Lowe about what Spider-Man is about and breaking Peter. That plus the fact he died so many times at the hands of Kindred, makes you think he will not die, but instead be fitted for a straight jacket at Ravencroft. That also feeds into the “Pathetic Peter” punchline at Marvel.
    I did raise this issue up.
    I always predicted this will end this way specially after 60.
    Yeah the entire thing about Spencer was a clean slate and them going back to "pathetic parker" is heart breaking.
    Honestly if they do this I hope no one buys it just to read peter and just pirates it.
    If you want to read it for Ben thats cool.

I think Ben is just going to appear backed up by the beyond corp.
    He's not asking for permission imo.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    I did raise this issue up.
    I always predicted this will end this way specially after 60.
    Yeah the entire thing about Spencer was a clean slate and them going back to "pathetic parker" is heart breaking.
    Honestly if they do this I hope no one buys it just to read peter and just pirates it.
    If you want to read it for Ben thats cool.

I think Ben is just going to appear backed up by the beyond corp.
    He's not asking for permission imo.
    I am certainly not going to be reading the Ben story if OMD and “Pathetic Parker” remain. The only power anyone has over Marvel is the power of declining sales because of the crap they are feeding. Maybe the best comparison is Fast and the Furious. Many people have gotten tired of those movies ( based on the Box Office numbers of film 9 versus film 8). Maybe if ASM sales fall to a Black Cat number Marvel will realize people are sick of what they are selling and stories like OMD and Clone Saga suck and no amount of spin can change that.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

I thoroughly enjoyed it, recently binged on it 2 months ago and it reads a lot better that way.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    I thoroughly enjoyed it, recently binged on it 2 months ago and it reads a lot better that way.
    Same here.This was made for trade and many people buy their comics that way.
    My re-reads have been a vast improvement.
    This run is going to age like fine wine if they even give us a decent ending.
    Last edited by Spiderfan001; 07-03-2021 at 10:33 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    I am certainly not going to be reading the Ben story if OMD and “Pathetic Parker” remain. The only power anyone has over Marvel is the power of declining sales because of the crap they are feeding. Maybe the best comparison is Fast and the Furious. Many people have gotten tired of those movies ( based on the Box Office numbers of film 9 versus film 8). Maybe if ASM sales fall to a Black Cat number Marvel will realize people are sick of what they are selling and stories like OMD and Clone Saga suck and no amount of spin can change that.
    I don't think ASM will fall that low.Black cat is doing horrible.The only way I see that is they take Peter out and don't bring him back.
    I agree, I hope they start to bring him back in like issue 15 of 24.Have him go on a mental or spiritual journey instead of being in a coma.
    Have him come back stronger than ever and then do a Parker run like the badass that he is.

Spectacular Member Knightmare10880's Avatar

Over all, with the exception of the 2099 arc and the recent Chameleon storyline, I've enjoyed Nick Spencer's run on Amazing Spider-Man. At times I got a bit tired of things being dragged on but I had a since that he was actually building up to a pay.

However, now that it's ending I'm very concerned about certain elements such as the plot point of the above picture as well as items such as Peter getting his Doctorate back. I am also very concerned that the end of the Kindred storyline is being rushed and won't be as satisfying as it could have been. I've honestly been debating if I want to continue purchasing the book or instead wait until after the run is complete, see what the reviews are and then go back and read it.

Incredible Member

Going back, I realized that I dropped this run after the first fifteen issues. I picked Spider-Man back up monthly after OMD, and been collecting it since. This was the first time that I dropped it out of bordem, but I still kept up with it as a cousin of mine still bought the issues and I read his. I’ll have to go back and find the issues in back bins and try reading it all in one setting to see how it flows again.

There was a lot of things I did enjoy, but the one thing that annoys me is how Kindred is/was Harry, when we have a Harry already alive and about due to OMD retcons. So, maybe after the run ends with issue 74, maybe I will be able to appreciate it more. Dunno.