Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
    It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Honestly, whenever someone says that Wally, Cass, Steph, Dick or Jordan fans are toxic, I think what they mean it's "I tell these people to shut up, and instead they keep stating facts that I don't know about"

(And I say this as someone who absolutely hates Hal Jordan and is not too big on his fandom either).

On the thread subject, I don't care about the Legion. Don't hate them, don't dislike them, will read them occasionally, but have zero connection with them.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

I don’t hate the character but I really couldn’t care less about Geo Force.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I don’t hate the character but I really couldn’t care less about Geo Force.
    Same. I don't have any strong feelings for him, but I think the most noteworthy thing about him is that he's Terra's brother. And i don't think she needs him for her story to work.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Some characters are outdated and keeping them around risks creating a crowded universe. I like Wally but I accept that at some point he is going to have to take a back seat and allow Irey West or Wallace West to take over. The problem is in how DC did it.
    I could understand saying that about Barry (my preferred Flash), but Wally? He's probably not even thirty, and Irey and Wallace have never reached adulthood. I mean, unless you support faster aging in general, which I could understand.

I really wish they'd stop creating new characters under old mantles. One Flash, one Batman, etc. is all we need. And can it with the new Robins and Superboys. I love a lot the characters, but the reason the field is too crowded is not because the older ones are kept, but because they keep creating new ones. Actual original characters that aren't legacies or spinoffs is a great thing to do. It's indisputably difficult to launch them, I know. But they can "earn" their fame just like the old ones did, and climb up the ranks. And if DC is lucky, they could even get new valuable IPs out of it.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 07-19-2021 at 12:44 PM.

Martian Manhunter - I don't dislike the oreo-eater, I just don't care about him at all.

Hawkman and Hawkgirl/woman - Few characters are less interesting to me than them, and this comes from someone that LOVED Hawkman's last run.

Hal Jordan and John Stewart - meh.

Barry Allen, most of the time...

Beast Boy. Nothing about him really calls my attention.

Basically all members of the JSA

And, of course, Bruce Wayne. It's a different case though. There are sometimes I like his stories (especially when they are street-based, detective stories, I usually love those ones), but when he's this all powerful mighty hero that can defeat everyone (even cosmic threads), that has a plan for everything, and that is just characterized as an annoying, obnoxious, all-knowing prick, I can't stand him. The "batgod" that fans built, and how it was transferred to the comics have a lot to do with my dislike. I'm basically so, so tired of Bruce Wayne...
    Last edited by Aramis; 07-20-2021 at 01:18 PM.

If we're talking fans ruining a character for you than probably Jon Kent.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I could understand saying that about Barry (my preferred Flash), but Wally? He's probably not even thirty, and Irey and Wallace have never reached adulthood. I mean, unless you support faster aging in general, which I could understand.

I really wish they'd stop creating new characters under old mantles. One Flash, one Batman, etc. is all we need. And can it with the new Robins and Superboys. I love a lot the characters, but the reason the field is too crowded is not because the older ones are kept, but because they keep creating new ones. Actual original characters that aren't legacies or spinoffs is a great thing to do. It's indisputably difficult to launch them, I know. But they can "earn" their fame just like the old ones did, and climb up the ranks. And if DC is lucky, they could even get new valuable IPs out of it.
    I mean there is always artificial aging, alternate universes, time skips or just letting characters age after a certain period of time.

It's less believable to me that Bruce isn't in his forties given all the Robins and side kicks he's accumulated. Pre-FP, I woudn't have minded if they showed Bruce with grey streaks and crows feet but he was still at his peak thanks to the Lazarus Pits or something like that. I think DC would benefit from a universe where the heroes are allowed to grow old and age and another universe where they are the main heroes are perpetually young and hip.

I don't mind side kicks or legacy heroes. My only problem is when it feels like it's just the writers throwing stuff at the wall rather than having them be part of an overall plan. From Jay to Barry to Wally there was a sense of legacy. Even with the Robins, there was a narrative to it; Dick was the first, Jason was the second and he died tragically because he couldn't hack it and Tim was the smarter and more savvy Robin because he had to avoid Jason's fate.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post

Because if you stick with One Flash, One Batman, One etc etc then you never get stories like Wally or Dick's time as the characters, which were absolutely excellent.

I assume John Venus means that a core aspect of Wally's character is growth, progression, and the passing of mantles from one generation to another. Wally's own, prescriptive destination is to one day pass the mantle on himself if he stays true to what he embodies as a character.