Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

I'm pretty much indifferent to almost all DC characters these days. I really struggle to find any of them interesting and I've basically stopped reading DC comics. This wasn't a conscious decision on my part but I found myself growing less interested in the characters after the initial burst of New 52 titles.

Traditionally, I've never been all that interested in:
    Lobo
    Jason Todd - As Robin or the Red Hood. More than any other character in comics he's the one I wished had stayed dead
    Kyle Raynor - although I enjoyed Grant Morrison's take on him in JLA

Red hood
    Green Arrow
    Hal Jordan
    The dream is dead, so wake up and fight!

Lobo
    Harley Quinn
    Guy Gardner
    The Justice League, especially since the new 52
    The entire Bat universe except Dick Grayson
    Any Atom that is not Ray Palmer
    Deathstroke
    Green Arrow since the new 52
    The Batman that laughs
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Been lurking since '08 Marik Swift's Avatar

Jon Kent - I'm not particularly a fan of Conner, but I hate when new character undermine existent characters like how Jon did Conner, so I honestly couldn't careless about anything whatsoever to do with Jon.

Damian Wayne - Same reason as Jon. I actually love Damian as a character, but Damian's very existent undermines years of Batman's development with all the other Robins by giving him an actual son.

Wally West - His fans are toxic and him and Barry are honestly interchangeable for me.

Naomi - Seriously, what's remotely interesting about her other than she's a token black chsracter (and I'm black). I mean seriously, yet another flying brick?

The Hawks - Seriously don't get the appeal of them other than nostalgia.

Martian Manhunter & Cyborg - I like them being important parts of their respective teams (JL & Titans), but let's be real, they are completely boring characters who are best suited as support characters in their respective teams.

1) Wonder Woman: I find her to be a giant hypocrite. She offers rehabilitation and tries to reason with her female villains. But when it comes to the men, they don't get the same satisfaction. She fights for "peace"

......riiiiiiiight.

2) Wally West: The toxicity from the fans soured me on the character forever.

Power Girl. (I can't take her seriously. And her main appeal is so off putting to me since I am well above the age of 14.)
    Guy Gardener.
    Wally West. (I don't understand what makes him interesting. And yes before you ask, I read Mark Waid's run.)
    Damian Wayne. ​
    Tim Drake.
    "I swear to god, if I get banned..."

Given all the people who soured on a character thanks to fandom, I am glad I stayed away from certain fandoms, even if it is a character I like.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Damien Wayne

Cyborg during New 52

New age Harley Quinn

Incredible Member

Harley Quinn - a really good animated character has been way overplayed in comics. She would be a ‘less is more’ type of character for me.

Joker - see above.

Firestorm - has not clicked with me since his original 5 issue series.

Barry Allen Flash - I have always, always, always just found him to be boring, uninteresting.

Hal Jordan Green Labtern - I have preferred John Stewart since Wnglehart featured him in the main GL Book years ago. I feel about Hal as I do Barry.

Lobo - I actually actively avoid any comic in which he is featured. Just violent for violence sake. Don’t get it.

Quote Originally Posted by AtheistInRed View Post
    Power Girl. (I can't take her seriously. And her main appeal is so off putting to me since I am well above the age of 14.)
    Guy Gardener.
    Wally West. (I don't understand what makes him interesting. And yes before you ask, I read Mark Waid's run.)
    Damian Wayne. ​
    Tim Drake.
    Even though writers reduce her to a boob joke, PG's main appeal is that she is a grown up Supergirl minus any infantilization and occupies her own narrative space as part of the JSA.

Since this has been brought up a few times, I will explain the appeal of Wally and the Titans. I'm not doing this expecting people to suddenly flip their opinions or to minimize any toxicity people might have seen or experienced, I just want to provide a perspective that I feel has been lacking in this thread thus far.

The main appeal of the New Teen Titans generation was that you had a group of heroes, some of whom were side kicks trying to come into their own and find their own place in the world and the audience got to read them blossom into full fledged heroes in their own right with the possibility of outright surpassing their heroic mentors. While Dick Grayson stepped out of Bruce's shadow and became Nightwing, Wally West tried to fill in his mentor's shoes. He also started off as a jerk and this was the start of his long character arc where he went from someone who was flawed, self serving to becoming a worthy hero in his own right. Many of what we consider the staples of the Flash mythology from the Speed Force to the 'Flash Family' was also introduced in Wally's era. It was also fitting that Wally picked up the mantle after Barry since Barry's own run acknowledged Jay Garrick's influence. Flash Vol 2, especially when Waid took over was a good model for writers to follow because it showed how you can respect for what came before while also trying to take the franchise into new direction. It's how you're supposed to 'passing on the torch' stories. DC at that point tried to wipe out the JSA because they thought those characters were too old fashioned. By showing Jay Garrick as a mentor and reviving Quicksilver as Max Mercury, Waid showed that these older characters still had a place in the DC. At the same time, it was also when the Flash became diverse, especially when Linda was developed as Wally's main love interest and Piper (who was gay) became a regular supporting character in his book and obviously Wally's kids were set up as the next ones to take on the mantle. Compare that to all the messes DC has created by turning Hal Jordan into a villain and to have Kyle Rayner as the 'one true GL' and later bringing back Hal and then trying to make him 'the one true GL' with the end result being that everybody is fighting over their favorite GL not getting enough focus or bringing back Barry, turning him into a poster child for mucking up the timeline, giving him mommy and daddy issues not to mention Wally's personality traits, villains and even love interests in an effort to make him interesting with the end result being that the two have almost become interchangeable.

Most of the readers grew up with these characters and the characters grew up with us. If people don't understand what makes this particular group of heroes special then that means the Didio has succeeded in erasing the impact of the NTT era. And if they are willing to screw over this generation of legacy heroes then what hope is there for the next generation of heroes or the ones that came before?
    Last edited by John Venus; 07-03-2021 at 01:56 PM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by atomicskull View Post
    1) Wonder Woman: I find her to be a giant hypocrite. She offers rehabilitation and tries to reason with her female villains. But when it comes to the men, they don't get the same satisfaction. She fights for "peace"

......riiiiiiiight.
    Golden Age Wonder Woman rehabilitated/reasoned with Blakfu and King Riggor, both of whom were male villains and the rehabilitation stuck for both of them.

Otherwise, Reformation Island was populated by female villains because A. most of her recurring villains are female anyway and B. the Gods decreed that men weren't allowed on the island, so that was out of her hands. But multiple reboots later, Reformation Island isn't consistently around, and on the rare occasions it is we sometimes get stuff like the Crows (five evil male demigod children) getting sent there to be reformed, while the female and unrepentant Medusa got decapitated. We also have New 52 Wonder Woman having an easier time making an ally out of Hades than she initially did with Hera.

So this view doesn't really hold up, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Golden Age Wonder Woman rehabilitated/reasoned with Blakfu and King Riggor, both of whom were male villains and the rehabilitation stuck for both of them.

Otherwise, Reformation Island was populated by female villains because A. most of her recurring villains are female anyway and B. the Gods decreed that men weren't allowed on the island, so that was out of her hands. But multiple reboots later, Reformation Island isn't consistently around, and on the rare occasions it is we sometimes get stuff like the Crows (five evil male demigod children) getting sent there to be reformed, while the female and unrepentant Medusa got decapitated. We also have New 52 Wonder Woman having an easier time making an ally out of Hades than she initially did with Hera.

Never have I once seen her try to reason with Doctor Psycho, Angle Man, Max Lord, Felix Faust or any other dude. Like I said she's extremely aggressive with men.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Never have I once seen her try to reason with Doctor Psycho, Angle Man, Max Lord, Felix Faust or any other dude. Like I said she's extremely aggressive with men.
    Psycho's a misogynistic rapist/murderer who is an extremely powerful telepath and doesn't have any desire to repent. What is there to reason with?

She had the one infamous encounter with Max in the comic where he left her no choice but to use lethal force (in the same run where she killed the female Medusa for the same reason), but in the movie she managed to reason with him. Angle Man is just a thief who she has neither rehabilitated nor acted too aggressive with, so he's moot. Faust isn't even a villain of hers..?? We also can't forget that she managed to reason with Ares in her post-Crisis origin story and forgave Heracles for his crimes (including raping her mother) when he was genuinely contrite in the same run.

So again, your reasoning doesn't really hold up. Or just only took a surface level glance at the character based on bad takes that get her wrong anyway (like the DCAU).

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Most of the readers grew up with these characters and the characters grew up with us. If people don't understand what makes this particular group of heroes special then that means the Didio has succeeded in erasing the impact of the NTT era. And if they are willing to screw over this generation of legacy heroes then what hope is there for the next generation of heroes or the ones that came before?
    Not that it in any way excuses Didio's actions, but I think the impact of the NTT era was diminishing even before he got involved (at least as far as comics go- the cartoon is a different story, but not one they could easily copy in the comics by that point). He definitely made it worse though, especially by shitting on its only two enduring success stories (Dick and Wally).
    Last edited by SiegePerilous02; 07-03-2021 at 03:25 PM.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Not the characterization itself but the overall concept: Teen Lantern.

1. There are way to many Earth Lanterns

2. I hate the idea of the Lantern being "hacked" esp by a kid/teen nonetheless

Having what feels like a hundred Earth Lanterns and now this kid with a hacked Lantern is what turned me off of GLs.

Last edited by Primal Slayer; 07-03-2021 at 03:45 PM.

......riiiiiiiight.

2) Wally West: The toxicity from the fans soured me on the character forever.
    I will say there are portrayals of Wonder Woman I do not care for, one of those depictions having her personality boarder on misandry. But, I think every comic book fan who follows their favorite character long enough will have versions of the character they do not care for.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post

Most of Wonder Woman's reoccurring male villain's were gods as well. And ironically, multiple version of the character later and Ares has been the most constantly reformed character on her rouges gallery.

She's defeated Dr. Psycho with kindness before. In Wonder Woman #160, she talked him down.

She tried to reason with Max Lord before the *shiver* infamous neck snap, and more recently she teamed up with him (though it did end in a fight like most superhero comics do, a fight that was instigated by him).

I've only read one interaction between Wonder Woman and Felix Faust and she was going to him for help, and he well...tied her to a chair and slapped her multiple times and made her admit she hated him (he was also torturing Zatanna). He's not a Wonder Woman villain so I don't know of many interactions she's had with him. Edit: Nevermind, I'm thinking of Mordru from JL: Dark... I don't even know of any interactions she's had with Felix Faust.
    Last edited by I'm a Fish; 07-03-2021 at 03:53 PM.