Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    While I think there are totally some assholes who hate on characters who aren't straight cis white men, I think most of the backlash against new replacement characters is simply a result of this.
    Well if that is true, that is unfortunate, but I wouldn't know because I wouldn't hang out with those kind of people.

For me, and my experience, the backlash against having a character replaced is simply because your favourite character that you love with all your heart and soul, is all the sudden forced to take a backseat to a newbie character that you cannot identify with.

If I had a dollar for everyone that I've met who quit DC comics because they killed off or replaced their favourite character....I'd be a very wealthy man.

I only commented because of the said posters audacious statement, this thread has toxic negativity written all over it... the sooner I'm out of here the better.

Batman
    Bruce Wayne
    Batman
    Batman

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nostalgia View Post
    Well if that is true, that is unfortunate, but I wouldn't know because I wouldn't hang out with those kind of people.

For me, and my experience, the backlash against having a character replaced is simply because your favourite character that you love with all your heart and soul, is all the sudden forced to take a backseat to a newbie character that you cannot identify with.

If I had a dollar for everyone that I've met who quit DC comics because they killed off or replaced their favourite character....I'd be a very wealthy man.

I only commented because of the said posters audacious statement, this thread has toxic negativity written all over it... the sooner I'm out of here the better.
    Very, very few major DC characters have been seriously replaced. The list pretty much stops at the GL and Flash franchise which both undid the replacements anyhow.

I think some people took "don't care for" to "really don't like" in some instances...

Amazing Member

Tim Drake- he never clicked with me but I do t really have an issue with him. I just don’t feel like he has much of a place anymore, but his fandom is loud and proud, so DC won’t sideline him currently.

The Flash- Just not much interest. Apparently there’s a large Flash family too, so even more reason for me to stay away.

Steph Brown- I haven’t read much with her yet so it might change, but I feel like she’s a package deal with Tim.

Green Lanterns- There’s just so many. If DC picked one as the main I might get some interest, but there’s what, 7 nowadays?

Teens- kind of a weird name for the category, but most of the “Teen team” type characters past the Titans. I just... can’t even care. The only time I really feel something is if they’re replacing someone, which I generally dislike.

And lastly, I straight up dislike Green Arrow. If Ollie ever got replaced I might reconsider, but until then, it ain’t changing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    Very, very few major DC characters have been seriously replaced. The list pretty much stops at the GL and Flash franchise which both undid the replacements anyhow.
    Speak for yourself, I've had most of my favourite male characters replaced. I hope you never have to experience what I had to go through. I'm surprised I'm still reading comics.

The only characters I feel this way about are basically the exclusive love interest characters such as Lois Lane, if they don’t make her Superwoman, and Vickie Vale.

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    Yeah fandoms can turn one against a character. Tim is a great example. Robin fandom is pretty toxic but Tim fans are on another level of toxicity, entitlement and pettiness.

On this very site when Duke was first introduced they created a mock Appreciation thread for Duke just to bash him. That's some creative hate and dedication.

It's just comics.

The hate against Damian continues till today and on AO3 poor Dick Grayson for his crime of making Damian Robin the majority of his SFW non TT fanfic are stories where he suffers for, get's punished, regret's, is hated by other heroes for kicking Tim out, gets yelled at by Batman when he returns for making Damian Robin and kicking Tim out, comes crawling back to Tim, made to apologise for making Damian Robin and kicking Tim out [a thing that never happened in the comics]... etc You get the general theme.

My Gosh it's comics and that was over 10 years ago.

Jeez.

Anyway don't like Tim Drake and 70% of my dislike comes from experiences with/behaviour of his fandom.

30% find him bland and his origin story is just the worst. Tim as Robin is very toxic and super damaging.

Turned a mantle for giving a young lost orphan a hopeful purpose into a teen in charge of batman's mental wellbeing and regulator of his actions.

The kid shouldn't be responsible for an adult's actions/mental health. That puts a ton of emotional stress and strain on a kid.

Bruce can't control yourself then move into a hospice.
    It's funny you wrote this beause Tim Drake was the first character that sprang to mind when the subject of fans turning you off a character was brought up. He used to be my favorite Robin but his fanbase is so obnoxious and self victimizing that I grew to dislike him by association.

As far as permanent replacements literally the only two I can think of that actually stuck were Zatanna and Mr. Terrific, and that's mostly because nobody cared all that much about their originators. Oh and I guess some of the JSA members killed in the 90s. Doctor Mid-Nite and who else.

Never cared much for Terry McGinness, and the various later takes on the Batman Beyond premise.

Martian Manhunter is a character I’ve never really cared for even in the Oreo loving JL days

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nostalgia View Post
    Speak for yourself, I've had most of my favourite male characters replaced. I hope you never have to experience what I had to go through. I'm surprised I'm still reading comics.
    My favorite character is Wally.

Tim Drake is a character I've never cared for and that's turned into dislike based on fans the more I engage in comics discussions and forums online.

Fandom can be detrimental to Characters and the way they are perceived. That is very true.

I couldn't give a toss about 80% of the Teen Titans/Titans. Especially after Dicks generation. Some of them are my absolute favourite characters of all time but there's an awful lot of filler characters who were Titans.

I definitely get that fans can turn you off a character. Especially with Tim, Jason and Cassandra Cain fans. Not necessarily on this forum but more on twitter/tumblr or the fan fiction side of things.

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    The ones that are intended to be funny because, to me, they never are. That’s excepting the beginning of JLI which I loved even though it didn’t make me laugh. My sense of humor just doesn’t mesh with “funny papers.
    Not a huge fan of Garfield then I suppose.

My favorite character is Wally.
    Good on you for sticking it out, I know a few Wally West fans that quite comics after he was wiped out of existence, and I don't think they will ever come back.

Race was immaterial issue for them. It was simply that the character that they had loved since childhood and followed for decades was now completely swiped clean from the DC universe.

I had already quite DC comics at this time because they had killed off two of my favourite characters in the late 2000's, so I heard about it through the grapevine. It was the second time I quite DC comics over killing off my favourite characters.

Funny enough, I don't really care when they replace characters I'm not invested in. (I imagine this is the case with most people)