Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Not the characterization itself but the overall concept: Teen Lantern.

1. There are way to many Earth Lanterns

2. I hate the idea of the Lantern being "hacked" esp by a kid/teen nonetheless

Having what feels like a hundred Earth Lanterns and now this kid with a hacked Lantern is what turned me off of GLs.

Yet she still snapped his neck. Okay.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    I will say there are portrayals of Wonder Woman I do not care for, one of those depictions having her personality boarder on misandry. But, I think every comic book fan who follows their favorite character long enough will have versions of the character they do not care for.

Most of Wonder Woman's reoccurring male villain's were gods as well. And ironically, multiple version of the character later and Ares has been the most constantly reformed character on her rouges gallery.

She's defeated Dr. Psycho with kindness before. In Wonder Woman #160, she talked him down.

She tried to reason with Max Lord before the *shiver* infamous neck snap, and more recently she teamed up with him (though it did end in a fight like most superhero comics do, a fight that was instigated by him).

I've only read one interaction between Wonder Woman and Felix Faust and she was going to him for help, and he well...tied her to a chair and slapped her multiple times and made her admit she hated him (he was also torturing Zatanna). He's not a Wonder Woman villain so I don't know of many interactions she's had with him. Edit: Nevermind, I'm thinking of Mordru from JL: Dark... I don't even know of any interactions she's had with Felix Faust.

From what I've seen, she might as well be a misandrist. I don't think i'll ever be sold on her as a character

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by atomicskull View Post
    From what I've seen, she might as well be a misandrist. I don't think i'll ever be sold on her as a character
    Fighting misogyny is not misandry.

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    Fighting misogyny is not misandry.
    I never said it was? It's just that sometimes I get misandry vibes from her, only a little bit. It's kind of a turn off for me.

Astonishing Member

I never said it was? It's just that sometimes I get misandry vibes from her, only a little bit. It's kind of a turn off for me.
    Wonder Woman very specifically and frequently is about loving and treating everyone fairly. She came into a world that is fundamentally more misogynistic than misandrist so a lot of her focus, especially in her early days, is on undoing and fighting against that misogyny. No one who writes her is trying to tell a story about how Wonder Woman hates men because that's expressly against her mission statement as a character and thematically. But it is thematic of her to fight men who oppress women. Which is certainly not misandry.

It'd be like me saying I dislike Superman because I get fascist vibes from him. Superman fights fascism. It'd be a weird stance to take because it's so fundamentally antithetical to the character (to the point where to tell stories like that like Injustice they need alternate universes, or Flashpoint WW).

I suppose there's a lot of misandry around her in the Amazons in Azzarello's run which is part of why it gets so much negative press from longtime WW fans for being so fundamentally against her as a character. But that's long been done away with, thankfully.
    Last edited by Dred; 07-03-2021 at 05:44 PM.

Wonder Woman very specifically and frequently is about loving and treating everyone fairly. She came into a world that is fundamentally more misogynistic than misandrist so a lot of her focus, especially in her early days, is on undoing and fighting against that misogyny. No one who writes her is trying to tell a story about how Wonder Woman hates men because that's expressly against her mission statement as a character and thematically.
    Agree to disagree. Thank you. I'll just stick to Supergirl, Zatanna, Jessica Cruz, Raven, Big Barda, Hawkgirl, Starfire and Vixen. I tried with Diana. I really did.

Wonder Woman very specifically and frequently is about loving and treating everyone fairly. She came into a world that is fundamentally more misogynistic than misandrist so a lot of her focus, especially in her early days, is on undoing and fighting against that misogyny. No one who writes her is trying to tell a story about how Wonder Woman hates men because that's expressly against her mission statement as a character and thematically. But it is thematic of her to fight men who oppress women. Which is certainly not misandry.

It'd be like me saying I dislike Superman because I get fascist vibes from him. Superman fights fascism. It'd be a weird stance to take because it's so fundamentally antithetical to the character (to the point where to tell stories like that like Injustice they need alternate universes, or Flashpoint WW).

I suppose there's a lot of misandry around her in the Amazons in Azzarello's run which is part of why it gets so much negative press from longtime WW fans for being so fundamentally against her as a character. But that's long been done away with, thankfully.
    Even in that run, I do not remember her saying anything bad towards men (though I haven't read it in years tbh). In fact, I remember her trying to free the sons of the Amazons from the clutches of Hephaestus when she though they were his prisoners, and being very kind to her half brothers. The Amazon's were depicted as misandrist in that run though...not a fan of that either...

I think most of the man-hating depictions of her come from some lines in DCAU, some Justice League runs and her 2009 animated movie which did unabashedly depict her as a misandrist.

Never have I once seen her try to reason with Doctor Psycho, Angle Man, Max Lord, Felix Faust or any other dude. Like I said she's extremely aggressive with men.

Last edited by Gaius; 07-03-2021 at 06:53 PM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

This is how she treats a female villain in the same run. Both happen because the villains are too dangerous to let live and they fully intended to kill mass quantities of people. So she did what she needed to do.

Wonder Woman Medusa.jpg

She also has Circe, Queen Clea and some of the Bana Amazons who are all misandrist and she opposes all of them. There really isn't any compelling evidence that she is misandrist, at least when she is written by a competent writer. Any writer who writes her or the Amazons that way are just revealing their shortcomings when it comes to understanding the nuances of how she stands against misogyny.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Sounds more like you want to find fault in everything she does with male characters. She tried to give Max an out, he wasnt going to budge and he told her the only thing to do. What did you expect her to do?

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    This is how she treats a female villain in the same run. Both happen because the villains are too dangerous to let live and they fully intended to kill mass quantities of people. So she did what she needed to do.

Wonder Woman Medusa.jpg

She also has Circe, Queen Clea and some of the Bana Amazons who are all misandrist and she opposes all of them. There really isn't any compelling evidence that she is misandrist, at least when she is written by a competent writer. Any writer who writes her or the Amazons that way are just revealing their shortcomings when it comes to understanding the nuances of how she stands against misogyny.
    In most cases, Wonder Woman doesn't even like women! She said so herself! (Wonder Woman Vol.1 #203, respectively. *dies inside*)

(Just having some fun, but man, what a strange line in a strange Wonder Woman era.)

Last edited by I'm a Fish; 07-03-2021 at 07:37 PM.

Shazam/Captain Marvel.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    In most cases, Wonder Woman doesn't even like women! She said so herself! (Wonder Woman Vol.1 #203, respectively. *dies inside*)

(Just having some fun, but man, what a strange line in a strange Wonder Woman era.)

Man that's got to be in a top 5 "What the Hell were they thinking?!" list when it comes to Wonder Woman.

#1 of course being making a misogynistic rapist her father.

Astonishing Member

The entire late 60s-early 70s Era WW is kind of a mess. Delaney and Kanigher, bleh. Completely undermined all the good stuff Wonder Woman stood for for years.

Astonishing Member

Wonder Woman did nothing wrong and Max got brought back eventually. The mentality that a hero should never kill villains even when the bad guy crossed the line multiple times is silly.