Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    Wonder Woman did nothing wrong and Max got brought back eventually. The mentality that a hero should never kill villains even when the bad guy crossed the line multiple times is silly.
    Eh, not really. Superheroes are unrealistic paragons. WW doesn't have to abide by that standard to be a good character but that some characters do isn't silly. They're metaphorical.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Not that it in any way excuses Didio's actions, but I think the impact of the NTT era was diminishing even before he got involved (at least as far as comics go- the cartoon is a different story, but not one they could easily copy in the comics by that point). He definitely made it worse though, especially by shitting on its only two enduring success stories (Dick and Wally).
    That was largely due to Wolfman burning out during the 90's which lead to some low points in the Titans era and the Dick/Kory marriage fell through due to a crucial editor leaving the book. The run still had a strong fan base and DC was building off of that success since Dick stayed as Nightwing and the Titans would often show up during Wally's Flash era.

I enjoyed some of what Devin Grayson did in Titans but she also lead to a low point in Nightwing run and then Graduation Day and Infinite Crisis happened. I think what really corroded the 'New Teen Titans' brand was how long Didio was in charge and how consistently he managed to derail any attempts to revive these characters.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    That was largely due to Wolfman burning out during the 90's which lead to some low points in the Titans era and the Dick/Kory marriage fell through due to a crucial editor leaving the book. The run still had a strong fan base and DC was building off of that success since Dick stayed as Nightwing and the Titans would often show up during Wally's Flash era.

I enjoyed some of what Devin Grayson did in Titans but she also lead to a low point in Nightwing run and then Graduation Day and Infinite Crisis happened. I think what really corroded the 'New Teen Titans' brand was how long Didio was in charge and how consistently he managed to derail any attempts to revive these characters.
    Yeah, it definitely wasn't ever just one thing, but I agree that the Titans still had a loyal fanbase and it would have been easier to dig them out of the hole they were in if Didio hadn't been mucking things up further.

And the irony is, any attempt to revive the New Teen Titans out of a sense of nostalgia runs the risk of repeating the same mistakes Didio and Johns did by trying to bring back the Silver Age. The new guard has to figure out how to continue the current universe and keeping any gains made in the last 20 years while doing justice to characters who have been screwed one too many times.

Some characters are outdated and keeping them around risks creating a crowded universe. I like Wally but I accept that at some point he is going to have to take a back seat and allow Irey West or Wallace West to take over. The problem is in how DC did it.

The Original 5 Titans- dick, Donna, Wally, Roy, garth. I don't hate them, I just never became fond of them.

Kara Zor-El

- Super Man and all the other Supers/Power - too powerful and static personality
    - Harley Quinn - chill in The Animated Series, but now she's a bit overbearing
    - Wonder Woman - static personality
    - Cyborg - its hard to relate to a damn-near machine
    - Flash (all) - its just a bit difficult to have any suspense with the Speed Force lingering about
    - Damian - I like the idea, but its hard to care about another Robin. Especially one that will probably remain a little kid for a looooong time, and I typically don't enjoy child characters.
    Success is not counted by how high you have climbed but by how many people you brought with you. – Dr Wil Rose

Incredible Member Light of Justice's Avatar

In whole DC Universe there are so many characters that I plainly don't care and skip, but maybe for characters that I should care but don't :

Batfamily : Barbara Gordon. She's one of the main Batman family (and I think she got higher status than Batwoman, Bruce's blood cousin) but I really can't get invested in her story. Not that I care for Batgirl as whole but somehow Barbara is the most boring for me. And no, her as Oracle doesn't make me interested in her either.

On DC universe : Aqua family. Is it just me and my lack of coming reading, but for me Aqua family is the most irrelevant among families in DC universe. All families I think has a chance to become spotlight of big DC wold plot (yes, even Green Arrow family), but for me Aqua family is just...there.

(Please be noted that I don't mean hate them. Just, I place little care about their existence, not avoiding them but also not searching for them. They're like background character for me)
    Last edited by Light of Justice; 07-05-2021 at 02:21 PM.

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Tim Drake
    Cass Cain [Mostly due to her fans]
    Beast Boy
    Crush

Incredible Member

For me, my list…

Hal Jordon
    Barry Allen
    Ronnie Raymond
    Tim Drake
    The entire Aquaman family.
    The Legion of Superheroes.

That’s pretty much it for me.

The android version of Red Tornado.
    The Metal Men.
    The original Challengers of the Unknown.
    Black Lightning's daughters.
    Cyclone. Just shut the hell up, you witless chatterbox.
    Infinity, Inc. Individually and apart from the team, they're fine. As a team, no.
    Pretty much all the characters "imported" into the DCU from Kingdom Come or that fans want imported, like Nightstar.
    Ray Palmer.
    Jesse Chambers as Mrs. Rick Tyler. Or any of Geoff Johns' forced romantic relationships.
    Kent Shakespeare.
    Prometheus.
    Grant Morrison and Mark Waid's versions of Superman.

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

Most of Superman's villains - too gimmicky and some of them got edgy makeovers that made them look even more ridiculous (shoutout to Toyman). The one's that I liked besides guys like Lex Luthor and Metallo rarely get used like Mr. Z or Baron Saturday
    Most Green Lantern villains except for Krona (except for Brightest Day), the snake guy from Emerald Warriors, Black Hand (before edgy makeover), Old-Timer, and Major Disaster
    Kara Zor-El - couldn't get into her and didn't like how Linda Danvers/Matrix got shat on after her series ended
    John Constantine - I liked Hellblazer but this version of him seems like a sanitized husk wish he'd stayed dead
    Joker - could go with not reading another story with him he's jumped the shark several times as a character now there's 3 of them the hell wasn't 1 enough
    Freedom Fighters except Phantom Lady - didn't see the point of them and Uncle Sam looked ridiculous
    Green Arrow - liked Oliver Queen but then any political context he had got stripped from him and even before that he got repetitive; I liked Connor Hawke more along with Arsenal
    some of the later legacy characters from JSA like Crimson Avenger - just didn't go anywhere
    Most Teen Titans villains except for Deathstroke and Terra - first cartoon made a wise choice in redesigning most of them and avoiding the others
    Adam Strange - maybe there's a good story to be written with him but I've yet to read it
    Booster Gold - only cared when he was in JLI with Blue Beetle; I tried the original series and part of the other one but couldn't get into them
    everyone from JL3000/3001 - just a bad ripoff of JLI but none of the characters were interesting or likable

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Harley Quinn. Though that probably doesn't qualify since I hate her with the fury of a thousand suns.

Damian. I get the concept. But his arrogance is just off putting.

Booster Gold. I don't like the concept of a guy who cheated at sports and then steals equipment to make himself a hero.

Guy Gardner. I think he's an idea whose time has passed.

Lobo. This is another Harley Quinn situation where I think they are just trying too hard.
    I see Booster Gold as a redemption story.
    Beverly Allen, the Bee--with honey and stinger.

"If humans have souls, then clones will have them, too."--Arthur Caplan

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Truthfully, I'm fed up with Batman. I love the character deep down still but given the excessive amount of titles and the fact that the MacFarlane toy line has essentially become a Batman toy line, for the first time in 20 some years I had to drop everything relating to Batman. I just can't continue to support the character when DC is allowing him to crush the soul of its entire universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Blanks View Post
    For me, my list…

Hal Jordon
    Barry Allen
    Ronnie Raymond
    Tim Drake
    The entire Aquaman family.
    The Legion of Superheroes.

That’s pretty much it for me.
    For Aquaman, is that recent stuff? Or the PAD era where he had a battalion of all these marine heroes?