Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Default That time Superman looked at Superboy's actual soul and other stupid new powers

RCO012_1583108317-1a.jpg

Can we just take a minute to appreciate how unbelievably dumb this is?

I was re-reading some old Infinite Crisis build up comics and forgot this absolute nonsense. And people always point to the Silver Age for Superman pulling bizarre new powers out of his S.

What's your favourite stupid one-and-done Superman power (or Red Kryptonite transformation)?
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post

What's your favourite stupid one-and-done Superman power (or Red Kryptonite transformation)?
    I'm going to have to go with Rebuild-The-Great-Wall-of-China-Vision.

Although I can understand why he doesn't get to use that power often.

Who wrote that looking into the soul thing?

RCO012_1583108317-1a.jpg

Can we just take a minute to appreciate how unbelievably dumb this is?

I was re-reading some old Infinite Crisis build up comics and forgot this absolute nonsense. And people always point to the Silver Age for Superman pulling bizarre new powers out of his S.

Blame Waid for that. He introduced that power in Birthright.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Who wrote that looking into the soul thing?
    This was Mark Verheiden's short run.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Blame Waid for that. He introduced that power in Birthright.
    Oof, there's more of this power? I'll chuck it on the pile of reasons I'm leary of Waid taking over the super-books.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I'm going to have to go with Rebuild-The-Great-Wall-of-China-Vision.

Although I can understand why he doesn't get to use that power often.
    You'd think with the amount of destruction that goes on in Metropolis he'd use it all the time. Or does it only work on the Great Wall?

BANNED

the ability to see the soul is fine with me.
    1: gives superman powers that go beyond the physical.
    2: everyone's powers evolve, why not those of superman.

Another power that I like is being able to see emotions.

Incredible Member

I personally like the "Superman can see souls" idea, but I'd rather it not be associated with morality or anything like that. Just Superman seeing this wonderful vision that makes him love life in ways we can't completely understand (but still somewhat relate to, if we've ever found beauty in life, nature, people or anything like that), and further add to why he refuses to take a life unless completely necessary.

Ah yes. How could I forget that time Superman was Raven XD

Though, given all the weird **** he did in earlier comics (like how he just conveniently has a machine that turns white people black), this is pretty damn tame. I can live with the Soul Vision more than I can some of the crazier abilities he had in the past.

I actually like this one. To me is not a new power, but just his super vision.

Bryne made his powers come from his aura, and him seeing other people's aura, or soul, works fine under that premise
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    Ah yes. How could I forget that time Superman was Raven XD

Though, given all the weird **** he did in earlier comics (like how he just conveniently has a machine that turns white people black), this is pretty damn tame. I can live with the Soul Vision more than I can some of the crazier abilities he had in the past.

I actually prefer clark doing wierd things.than the flying brick basic abilities.He is an �� alien.It is about time he felt like it.Change his movements and everything.Soul vision is a bit too messianic though..
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

I can understand it, but it doesn't fit for a character like Superman.

A lot of people forget the soul vision (probably) didn't look at the literal soul. Clark could see an aura of some kind around living creatures, same as he can see the electromagnetic spectrum, but in the case of soul vision he didn't know what he was looking at. He just knew it was around most living things and it not being there made him uncomfortable. It was called soul vision simply for the lack of a better term, and used to help justify Clark being a vegetarian in Birthright.

I didn't like the name but I do like the idea of Clark sensing things we haven't discovered yet.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I don't mind being able to see auras. It only bugs me as an explanation for why he sees the good in people or why he seeks to preserve life and became a vegetarian. It struck me as excessively cynical for him to need a super vision to see the good in people. When it comes to certain things, Clark's senses shouldn't be any better than ours.