Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22
  1. #1
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    2,198

    Default Spider-man Sales Review

    Spidey sales review.

    With the new PRH deal sales need to be Spiked and need to be steady.Hence the relaunch of number 1's coming our way and there will be a lot more.I wanted to take a sec and analyze these to see what we find and to predict what comics will get a boost.

    1)10-ASM 65: not a important issue and just to complete a side-plot and still the best for a ongoing at marvel beating X-men 20(major issue)

    2)12-ASM 66:Again not a major issue and still very high up.

    ASM in general is the best selling Marvel title and is also one of the few 2X to 3X.They need to put their best creative team on this.I think they may sacrifice DD to put Chip and maybe the artist on ASM.Check thinking critical's video, Perch explains this very well.

    3)31-Carnage White Black and Blood:Not much knowledge about this but I feel symbiotes in general will go down after the burnout from KIB and all that was before it.Major drop in number.

    4)37-Spider-man Spider's Shadow 2: Spidey +great writer(Zdarsky)=Great sales even on a what if? mini.

    5)42-Giant Size King's Ransom:Giant's Sizes in a middle of the run don't sell all that well so top 50 is a good spot.

    Now entering the lower tiers

    6)45-MM-SM 26:Top 50, not bad at all.Then again it has the "clone saga" and more importantly prominently featured Spider-man so who knows.Again a good series to keep going.Not high enough that it will be a benefactor of a boost though.

    7)76-Silk 3: Don't know why they made a mini atm.The hype for the live action series is not enough to push sales.Next big thing will probably at launch and would do better than this.Story is decent but not nearly good enough to be one of those Hellions type that warrant continuation even through bad sales.

    8)98-Heroes reborn Peter Parker The Amazing Shutterbug-Top 100 is not to shabby for something like this.The event is not good in general and a one-shot with practically nothing to do with said story is not gonna sell well.Still Peter Parker sells hence above all/most other one-shots even ones that have something to do with the story.

    9)114-Black Cat 6:A good series but the sales are horrible.I mean this should atleast be a top 75 comic.I don't know how they plan to continue this.

    10)120-Spider-woman 12:The last 2 issues were good but the first 10 was a bold choice that did not pay off.Honestly get the artist of this book and onto ASM.It's a waste of good art.

  2. #2
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    8,618

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    ASM in general is the best selling Marvel title and is also one of the few 2X to 3X.They need to put their best creative team on this.I think they may sacrifice DD to put Chip and maybe the artist on ASM.Check thinking critical's video, Perch explains this very well.
    Those two are Comicsgate Normalizers if you want to be charitable (or Dog-Whistle comicsgaters if you want to be mean) so I'd be cautious following their advice.

    And I'll be cautious about the idea that a top-selling writer on Spider-Man would automatically be required. Dan Slott for instance never had any significant commercial success before or after he wrote ASM.

  3. #3
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    2,198

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Those two are Comicsgate Normalizers if you want to be charitable (or Dog-Whistle comicsgaters if you want to be mean) so I'd be cautious following their advice.

    And I'll be cautious about the idea that a top-selling writer on Spider-Man would automatically be required. Dan Slott for instance never had any significant commercial success before or after he wrote ASM.
    It wasn't advice.They were talking about what Marvel will do and they have been right on money on stuff like this in the past from what I hear.

    Again the discussion is they can't risk ASM or any of the other big titles to do bad in sales because of PRH deal.Also the 1000 milestone is coming up.

  4. #4
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    8,618

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    It wasn't advice.They were talking about what Marvel will do and they have been right on money on stuff like this in the past from what I hear.

    Again the discussion is they can't risk ASM or any of the other big titles to do bad in sales because of PRH deal.Also the 1000 milestone is coming up.
    In the immediate future, ASM#900 is coming up next year. ASM#1000 is at least three-four years off.

  5. #5
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    68,701

    Default

    I wonder how much longer they'll keep Black Cat going.

  6. #6
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    149

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    It wasn't advice.They were talking about what Marvel will do and they have been right on money on stuff like this in the past from what I hear.

    Again the discussion is they can't risk ASM or any of the other big titles to do bad in sales because of PRH deal.Also the 1000 milestone is coming up.
    This doesn’t make any sense. Penguin Random House is a distributor and one that seems is very interested in moving into the comics space. They’re not Marvel’s new parent company. I doubt they’d go through all the trouble of starting distributing comics and then quit because of the sales numbers of Amazing Spider-Man.

    And even if you accept that premise, how does Zdarsky guarantee them big sales numbers? I love the guy’s work but he’s not (yet) a creator who moves big numbers on his name alone. If Marvel was really worried about getting big numbers they’d be trying to get a big name, possibly someone from DC like Scott Snyder, that would make a big splash, not someone who has already written several Spider-Man projects.

  7. #7
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    2,198

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    In the immediate future, ASM#900 is coming up next year. ASM#1000 is at least three-four years off.
    BUt a writer will hopefully stick around for more than 25 issues.Maybe even more than Spencer so they will have to plan that far.

  8. #8
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    2,198

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RJT View Post
    This doesn’t make any sense. Penguin Random House is a distributor and one that seems is very interested in moving into the comics space. They’re not Marvel’s new parent company. I doubt they’d go through all the trouble of starting distributing comics and then quit because of the sales numbers of Amazing Spider-Man.

    And even if you accept that premise, how does Zdarsky guarantee them big sales numbers? I love the guy’s work but he’s not (yet) a creator who moves big numbers on his name alone. If Marvel was really worried about getting big numbers they’d be trying to get a big name, possibly someone from DC like Scott Snyder, that would make a big splash, not someone who has already written several Spider-Man projects.
    Please do check out the video.It explains it a lot better than I can.
    Again check it out to see why I bring up Chip.

  9. #9
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,962

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    BUt a writer will hopefully stick around for more than 25 issues.Maybe even more than Spencer so they will have to plan that far.
    A writer staying on for 125 issues? Not in this climate and not without relaunches.

    Marvel aren't worried about 1000. They'll be more focused on the lead up to 900.

    Besides, the next writer could come in and people may hate what they do and call for their head like they did Spencer's and Slott's.

  10. #10
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    2,198

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    A writer staying on for 125 issues? Not in this climate and not without relaunches.

    Marvel aren't worried about 1000. They'll be more focused on the lead up to 900.

    Besides, the next writer could come in and people may hate what they do and call for their head like they did Spencer's and Slott's.
    I agree.But they do need to plan ahead.Besides 900 is probably the wedding.
    Also most people love Spencer's run.Every person i have seen on other sites like comicvine and many youtubers love it.Only CBR hate it and the reasons aren't all that good.

  11. #11
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    149

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Please do check out the video.It explains it a lot better than I can.
    Again check it out to see why I bring up Chip.
    The video didn’t really explain much. If their theory is correct about PRH (which I seriously doubt as it seems to misunderstand how a business like PRH would operate) currently Amazing is one of Marvel’s top-selling books, so it would need to bring new readers in (or lapsed readers back) to increase sales significantly. DC did this with the New 52 by (more or less) restarting their entire universe and doing a heavy promotional campaign that infiltrated the non-comics media. Regardless of what one thinks of the overall quality of that relaunch and the trouble they had sustaining it, it did bring in non insignificant number of readers who weren’t there the month before.
    Does Chip Zdarsky taking over Amazing Spider-Man get people outside of comics talking? Does it get any play in the “straight” news media?
    If we look at something like the Hickman relaunch of X-Men two years ago, it was a combination of Hickman being a huge name returning to Marvel after years away and the relatively abysmal condition of the X-titles in the years leading up to it. Marvel was able to put ads in their books with just the word Hickman and the start date. Does a white page with the word “Zdarsky” on it get people excited? Would the announcement of him taking over Spider-Man get a write up in USA Today? What will his name mean to someone who stopped reading comics ten years ago? Does it bring them back into the shop?
    That isn’t to say that Zdarsky doesn’t get the book, but if he does it isn’t for the reasons those guys in the video think. If he gets it, it’s because he has a pitch that Marvel editorial likes. But the problem with relying on YouTubers for info is they’re just as uninformed as the rest of us. The reason they think that Zdarsky would sell big numbers is that they like Zdarsky. I love Zdarsky! But I don’t think that past a relaunch with a new number one and the variant incentives that he sells Amazing in numbers significantly above what Spencer is doing. Amazing has probably tapped out its growth potential in the current marketplace (that’s not a negative—it’s probably Marvel’s most consistent seller, like Batman is for DC) so to really get a big bump it would need to get new people into the shops and Zdarsky doesn’t do that.

  12. #12
    Ultimate Member Mister Mets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    13,744

    Default

    The sales of the Kings Ransom one-shot seem to be poor marketing, as that was a conclusion to a story from Amazing Spider-Man by the same creative team.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

  13. #13
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    2,198

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    The sales of the Kings Ransom one-shot seem to be poor marketing, as that was a conclusion to a story from Amazing Spider-Man by the same creative team.
    Giant-sizes specially in the middle of the run don't usually sell well.
    For what it is it is pretty high up there but I do agree they should have marketed it better.

  14. #14
    Kinky Lil' Canine Snoop Dogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    10,070

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    The sales of the Kings Ransom one-shot seem to be poor marketing, as that was a conclusion to a story from Amazing Spider-Man by the same creative team.
    There is no scenario in which ending story arcs in separate one-shots is not totally embarassing.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

  15. #15
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    2,198

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    There is no scenario in which ending story arcs in separate one-shots is not totally embarassing.
    How is it embarassing?
    Even the astonishing X-men run has it's best and biggest arc end in a giant size.
    I'm not being sarcastic.I am genuinely curious.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •