Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    Damian should have never died in the first place. And given how awesome his current book is, I'm even more glad that he didn't stay dead.
    The character of Damian as we knew him was created by Morrison using a concept from an old graphic novel. Morrison also planned to have him die at the end of his story.
    So saying "Damian should have never died in the first place" isn't quite as solid an argument in this particular case. Or would you have preferred Morrison never introduced Damian in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    DC has gotten at least a tiny bit better on (editors) not more or less forcing stories onto writers like with Resurrection of Ra's. And looking back, there proved to be no apparent or good reason why Ra's needed to be rushed back.....for those "classic appearances" (sarcasm) in RIP's Last Rites, Nightwing, or Red Robin? Until Incorporated happened, I'm not sure any memorable Ra's stories happened after he was resurrected.
    Yeah, it is interesting why they felt like he needed to be brought back. If I'm not mistaken he was put into AA very next issue after being back. And while he had a role to play in second part of Batman Inc. I really doubt that at the time Morrison already had figured out what he'll do 30 or so issues later.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    If I'm not mistaken [Ra's] was put into AA very next issue after being back.
    Yup, a Ra's Resurrection "Epilogue" (that they didn't bother to put in the trade, but I myself still count it as part of the Resurrection arc). It was a decent story by Dini (better than all of Resurrection probably) for one that aimed to immediately shelf Ra's (right after resurrecting him from a death that had just shelved him).

And while [Ra's] had a role to play in second part of Batman Inc. I really doubt that at the time Morrison already had figured out what he'll do 30 or so issues later.
    And Morrison barely used Ra's (since Talia just removed him from power), Ra's best moments in there were flashbacks really (regarding Talia).
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 06-22-2021 at 01:32 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Well, if he stayed dead, we'd probably get another Red Hood-esque villain story 20 years down the line, so... No?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    People seem to be enjoying his new comic, so I'd say it was a good thing they brought him back.
    This is basically how I feel about Damian.
    And any dead and brought back character, really. It's nice people have things that they like, and they wouldn't have them with the character dead.

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    And Morrison barely used Ra's (since Talia just removed him from power), Ra's best moments in there were flashbacks really (regarding Talia).
    While Ra's didn't actually do much in actual storyline I felt like him being alive was very important - Talia locked him away and basically showed that she is not in his shadow anymore. If he was still dead then readers would have just rationalised that oh well, since Ra's dead then of course Talia is in charge, but if he was alive then none of this would be happening.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

While Ra's didn't actually do much in actual storyline I felt like him being alive was very important - Talia locked him away and basically showed that she is not in his shadow anymore. If he was still dead then readers would have just rationalised that oh well, since Ra's dead then of course Talia is in charge, but if he was alive then none of this would be happening.
    I agree, but I was still pointing out how little use or desire even Morrison had for him despite co-writing the story to resurrect him.

But don't get me wrong, Ra's most definitely should not have stayed "dead" from 2004 (end of Death and the Maidens) until Incorporated started in 2010, I definitely just wish Ra's got a much better return story (same with Damian).
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 06-22-2021 at 05:30 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Extraordinary Member

Where would we be if everyone just stayed dead?

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    Better storytelling.

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    Well, the Batfamily would be smaller.

Not including the fake-out deaths, and assuming no retcons of past stories that are no longer cannon, if the Lazarus-pits/other resurrection devices are deleted = No Jason, Damian, Cass, Kate, and Alfred. Steph, Tim, Dick, and Leslie all had fake-out deaths where they were thought dead but weren't, so they'd still be around.

Of course, for Cass and Kate the entire reason they died (as far as story goes) is because Lazarus Pits were readily available, and the characters in the stories intended to use them. The writer involved never intended for them to actually be written-out. So it was a cheap move for shock value anyway, and rendered the whole affair meaningless. I don't think either was dead long enough for anyone to mourn their loss (plus those that did know of their death just tossed them straight into a Lazarus Pit regardless).

Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Meal View Post
    Well, the Batfamily would be smaller.

Not including the fake-out deaths, and assuming no retcons of past stories that are no longer cannon, if the Lazarus-pits/other resurrection devices are deleted = No Jason, Damian, Cass, Kate, and Alfred. Steph, Tim, Dick, and Leslie all had fake-out deaths where they were thought dead but weren't, so they'd still be around.

Of course, for Cass and Kate the entire reason they died (as far as story goes) is because Lazarus Pits were readily available, and the characters in the stories intended to use them. The writer involved never intended for them to actually be written-out. So it was a cheap move for shock value anyway, and rendered the whole affair meaningless. I don't think either was dead long enough for anyone to mourn their loss (plus those that did know of their death just tossed them straight into a Lazarus Pit regardless).
    Dick did die. It wasn't just a fake out.

Quote Originally Posted by Superboy-Prime View Post
    Better storytelling.
    Like, half of the main DC characters wouldn't be around then. Probably more.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Like, half of the main DC characters wouldn't be around then. Probably more.
    I call that mercy.

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    Dick did die. It wasn't just a fake out.
    He actually died? I thought he just had memory loss.

Okay, revised version. If characters stayed dead the Batfamily would be minus:

Jason
    Damian
    Cass
    Kate
    Alfred
    Dick

Babs would be the longest surviving sidekick, Tim would be the only Robin. Duke and Harper would be more prominent, as would Steph. If we include the extended family, then Azrael would also have stayed dead, but Batwing and Huntress would have more panel time.

Quote Originally Posted by Superboy-Prime View Post
    I call that mercy.
    Well, I've enjoyed a lot of resurrection/post resurrection stories with several characters, so...