Page 16 of 50 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    They're B-listers at least. Yeah, they didn't carry their own franchises, partially because Marvel didn't promote them. But they still have younger versions with the same codename.
    Because they're C-Listers who live in team books, them sharing names don't matter for that reason alone, because that's the reason why DC has over 5 characters named Star Man who don't have much to do with each other.
    More than making Spider-Man be just some name anyone can use does nothing but diminish and devalue the meaning Peter brought to it.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Metro View Post
    Because they're C-Listers who live in team books, them sharing names don't matter for that reason alone, because that's the reason why DC has over 5 characters named Star Man who don't have much to do with each other.
    More than making Spider-Man be just some name anyone can use does nothing but diminish and devalue the meaning Peter brought to it.
    Again, you seem to be downplaying those characters. I think a C-Lister would be someone like Star-Lord. You can't just act like they haven't had years of stories of their own with their own identities. Or does that not matter because they're not Peter Parker?

Anyway, no one's devaluing or diminishing Peter Parker. That's an exaggeration. He may be Marvel's most popular character but he's not that above everyone else.

BANNED

Again, you seem to be downplaying those characters. I think a C-Lister would be someone like Star-Lord. You can't just act like they haven't had years of stories of their own with their own identities. Or does that not matter because they're not Peter Parker?

Anyway, no one's devaluing or diminishing Peter Parker. That's an exaggeration. He may be Marvel's most popular character but he's not that above everyone else.
    Them being C-Listers is the only reason they got multiple people using the same name, that's just obvious.
    And yes he is above them, it's a just a fact, he's the most popular, he's the most selling, and he's the most well known and he did that on his own.
    That's the only reason why they continue to call Miles Spider-Man instead of giving him his own name, because that's the only way he's going to sell otherwise.
    And it is diminishing Peter, after all the stories over the years about how important the Spider-Man name is to him and how important he is to Spider-Man the idea random people can just come out of nowhere and go "LOL I'm Spider-Man!" is insulting

Ultimate Member

Them being C-Listers is the only reason they got multiple people using the same name, that's just obvious.
    And yes he is above them, it's a just a fact, he's the most popular, he's the most selling, and he's the most well known and he did that on his own.
    That's the only reason why they continue to call Miles Spider-Man instead of giving him his own name, because that's the only way he's going to sell otherwise.
    He's more well known and most selling, yeah, but again, that's partially because Marvel promoted him above other characters. That doesn't mean he's a 1000 times better than every other Marvel hero. More people just know and like him. Even I like him more than Hawkeye. But I'm not going to act like he can't share the same identity. I'm not into this "superhero elitism" or whatever it is.

BANNED

He's more well known and most selling, yeah, but again, that's partially because Marvel promoted him above other characters. That doesn't mean he's a 1000 times better than every other Marvel hero. More people just know and like him. Even I like him more than Hawkeye. But I'm not going to act like he can't share the same identity. I'm not into this "superhero elitism" or whatever it is.
    You can keep saying that, but he's promoted above the other characters because he's the most popular and best selling, not the other way around.
    And you can call it elitism if you want but it's pure fact, if Hawkeye or Wasp were Spider-Man level, characters like Kate and Nadia either wouldn't exist or would be called something else.
    The entire point of Spider-Man is the fact it's the guy underneath the mask, Peter Parker who brings the name meaning, the others don't have that.
    Last edited by Metro; 06-25-2021 at 02:52 PM.

Ultimate Member

You can keep saying that, but he's promoted above the other characters because he's the most popular and best selling, not the other way around.
    And you can call it elitism if you want but it's pure fact, if Hawkeye or Wasp were Spider-Man level, characters like Kate and Nadia either wouldn't exist or would be called something else.
    The entire point of Spider-Man is the fact it's the guy underneath the mask, Peter Parker who brings the name meaning, the others don't have that.
    It's a cycle though. He's popular because he sells and vice versa. But that doesn't mean others can't be popular if Marvel makes effort them. The MCU has show many of these characters can be very popular if they actually get a chance.

Anyway, I think you have it backwards. Miles is using the name of Spider-Man precisely because he's popular. And no offense, but I don't think your statements are pure facts.

BANNED

It's a cycle though. He's popular because he sells and vice versa. But that doesn't mean others can't be popular if Marvel makes effort them. The MCU has show many of these characters can be very popular if they actually get a chance.

Anyway, I think you have it backwards. Miles is using the name of Spider-Man precisely because he's popular. And no offense, but I don't think your statements are pure facts.
    No Miles has the name soley because it's the one thing that makes him relevant despite having no characterization, a near nonexistent supporting cast and rogues gallery, or any defining stories.
    It very much is not the other way around, the second he gets a new distinct name is the second he flops like a fish on land.

Ultimate Member

No Miles has the name soley because it's the one thing that makes him relevant despite having no characterization, a near nonexistent supporting cast and rogues gallery, or any defining stories.
    It very much is not the other way around, the second he gets a new distinct name is the second he flops like a fish on land.
    How do you know that? I get that you're not a fan of his but don't you think you're selling him short?

BANNED

How do you know that? I get that you're not a fan of his but don't you think you're selling him short?
    No, no I don't

Ultimate Member

No, no I don't
    Well, I disagree, and frankly, I think you're doing the reverse with Peter Parker

BANNED

Do you know how many issues and stories the DC Hero known as The Insider sold under his title? Zero.
    How many cartoons and movies? Zero.

The secret identity of "The Insider" is Bruce Wayne.

It's an identity he assumed in a miniseries complete with new costume and mask but obviously it doesn't sell as well compared to when Bruce Wayne is called Batman and wears a costume associated with Batman.

This argument that Miles would flop if he gets a new distinct name would apply to virtually every other hero. Audiences generally pay to see popular heroes in their most defining and charismatic aspect, they don't want to see a story with Bruce Wayne where he's not Batman, but instead in some other costume. Wonder Woman comics sold poorly when she ditched her costume for some Emma Peel cosplay and gave her powers and learned kung-fu but the idea that means that Diana can't sell comics unless she's Wonder Woman makes no sense.

So again, if you want to churlishly hate-type on Miles and give out a list of feeble insults, I am sure you can find some corner of reddit or the darkweb to your liking.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Do you know how many issues and stories the DC Hero known as The Insider sold under his title? Zero.
    How many cartoons and movies? Zero.

The secret identity of "The Insider" is Bruce Wayne.

It's an identity he assumed in a miniseries complete with new costume and mask but obviously it doesn't sell as well compared to when Bruce Wayne is called Batman and wears a costume associated with Batman.

This argument that Miles would flop if he gets a new distinct name would apply to virtually every other hero. Audiences generally pay to see popular heroes in their most defining and charismatic aspect, they don't want to see a story with Bruce Wayne where he's not Batman, but instead in some other costume. Wonder Woman comics sold poorly when she ditched her costume for some Emma Peel cosplay and gave her powers and learned kung-fu but the idea that means that Diana can't sell comics unless she's Wonder Woman makes no sense.

So again, if you want to churlishly hate-type on Miles and give out a list of feeble insults, I am sure you can find some corner of reddit or the darkweb to your liking.
    This argument would work if Miles had any defining or charismatic aspects besides being the 2nd string Spider-Man and yet that's all there is to him.

You could use Madame Web as a way to connect the various Spider people together. She has psychic powers so she could seek out whichever character you want to spotlight. If you don't want Peter to be the leader, he doesn't have to. He could just be another member.

Honestly I would've preferred Miles with a different ID and powerset. I'm not a legacy guy in terms of powerset. I grew up with Shonen anime so I prefer everyone to get their own unique abilities. Making everyone get Spider powers, Hulk out or have a hammer isn't appealing to me.

Bendis treating Miles and Riri like he did with Naomi would've been better.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 06-25-2021 at 03:55 PM.

BANNED

This argument would work if Miles had any defining or charismatic aspects...
    No ifs about it. Miles Morales is charismatic.

End of discussion.

I don't know if this is a bot or trollfarm generating this, but I hope this is the end of my exchange with you on this matter.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    No ifs about it. Miles Morales is charismatic.