Page 41 of 50 FirstFirst ... 31373839404142434445 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think Peter would have to be old, infirm, and physically incapable of being Spider-Man any more to ever permanently retire.
    If those things counted Bruce would be done.
    And not saying they won't retire or die.Just that they will always come back.

They may bring them back to life or just reboot.

Ultimate Member

I think Peter would have to be old, infirm, and physically incapable of being Spider-Man any more to ever permanently retire.
    I mean, Peter could probably live past 100. The thing with guys like him is even at 60 he's probably still capable, so theoretically aging isn't really too much of a problem

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    It won't.
    They tried it with Logan and it didn't last.
    It didn't last because writers or editorial didn't let it. I think they're too afraid of letting them go.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I mean, Peter could probably live past 100. The thing with guys like him is even at 60 he's probably still capable, so theoretically aging isn't really too much of a problem
    Theoretically, yeah, I just don't think we need to see a 60-year old Peter Parker as Spider-Man even if I can imagine it.

Extraordinary Member

It didn't last because writers or editorial didn't let it. I think they're too afraid of letting them go.
    Yup.

Again who do you think sells better
    Miles or Peter
    Laura or Logan

That and Batman and Logan I can understand.Seeing an adult Peter Spider-man is something we need to see.Do the marriage and have the kid, let her grow up to be a teen then kill him "permanently".Then Mayday takes up the mantle.
    We already got Miles taking the mantle up.Repeating the same story makes no sense.

Another reason is we have way too many Peter gets replaced stories as is.Others I kinda get, but makes no sense with Spider-man.

Extraordinary Member

Theoretically, yeah, I just don't think we need to see a 60-year old Peter Parker as Spider-Man even if I can imagine it.
    I mean a 60+ spider-man who lost his family and seen too much and is ruthless would be cool af.
    Like for a mini or a 25 issue run.
    I'd pay good money to read that.

Astonishing Member

Yup.

Miles or Peter
    Laura or Logan

That and Batman and Logan I can understand.Seeing an adult Peter Spider-man is something we need to see.Do the marriage and have the kid, let her grow up to be a teen then kill him "permanently".Then Mayday takes up the mantle.
    We already got Miles taking the mantle up.Repeating the same story makes no sense.

Another reason is we have way too many Peter gets replaced stories as is.Others I kinda get, but makes no sense with Spider-man.
    Self-fulfilling prophecies in a nutshell

Just don't complain whenever you feel that Peter has stagnated because it's inevitable

I mean a 60+ spider-man who lost his family and seen too much and is ruthless would be cool af.
    Like for a mini or a 25 issue run.
    I'd pay good money to read that.
    I wouldn't, but to each their own .

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post

Just don't complain whenever you feel that Peter has stagnated because it's inevitable
    Again they can evolve him without age.
    Specially with Peter he still has a lot of growing room.

And I said the others getting replaced makes a little sense.Just doesn't work for Peter.

Extraordinary Member

I wouldn't, but to each their own .
    Of course

Ultimate Member

60-year old Peter would be like 45-year old regular guy, and 45 isn't even that old anymore.

Yup.

Miles or Peter
    Laura or Logan

Idk if he needs to die when she takes the mantle. At least he can be her mentor first.

Ultimate Member

That's really the problem with comics being static. You can only invest so much in heroes being in the same place forever.

Astonishing Member

That's really the problem with comics being static. You can only invest so much in heroes being in the same place forever.
    I sort of get it. After all, a series' premise and plot are two different things.

It can just get annoying when people say that X story is a waste of time when it was never going to amount to anything in the first place.

Astonishing Member

I actually think that part of our refusal to deal with a grown-up Peter has to do with our fear of facing the reality that age is just a number.

There are generally two different views of aging:

1. The Traditional View - Life plays like a story with a beginning, middle, and end, and people in life go through different stages at specific ages. They discover themselves in their late teens / early 20's, and then stay that way throughout adulthood.

2. The Modernist / Materialist View - Life is a constant adventure of growth and change, and no one really knows what they're doing. Everyone develops at their own pace, and that's okay because it's ultimately about being better than who you were yesterday. Age is just a number under this worldview.

If the story of Peter Parker doesn't end when he is grown-up and married, and can go on indefinitely, that adds validity to the modern view that age is just a number. And while that can be a freeing way of looking at life, it can also be scary, especially in a world where more and more people aren't buying into the existence of an afterlife. It would mean that aging is therefore unnecessary and kinda a tragedy. Even if Peter doesn't ever physically age past 30, a Peter who stays that young physically while continuing to grow and change as a person is not only enough to remind us of this tragedy, but also to trigger feelings of jealousy in us.

So if you're a fan who buys into the Traditionalist View of aging more than you buy into the modern one (and most of the pro-OMD fans probably do... Notice how one of the most common-listed argument in favor of it was that Peter can't experience significant growth as an adult, or that "the story is over" once Peter marries MJ), the pre-OMD Spider-Man not only challenged a view you had that you maybe weren't ready to have challenged, he also had to rub it in by being fictional and therefore immortal while you, a real person, will grow old and get grey hair and eventually die.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 07-13-2021 at 01:16 PM.

Ultimate Member

I sort of get it. After all, a series' premise and plot are two different things.

It can just get annoying when people say that X story is a waste of time when it was never going to amount to anything in the first place.
    What story do people say that about?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    I actually think that part of our refusal to deal with a grown-up Peter has to do with our fear of facing the reality that age is just a number.

There are generally two different views of aging:

1. The Traditional View - Life plays like a story with a beginning, middle, and end, and people in life go through different stages at specific ages. They discover themselves in their late teens / early 20's, and then stay that way throughout adulthood.

2. The Modernist / Materialist View - Life is a constant adventure of growth and change, and no one really knows what they're doing. Everyone develops at their own pace, and that's okay because it's ultimately about being better than who you were yesterday. Age is just a number under this worldview.

If the story of Peter Parker doesn't end when he is grown-up and married, and can go on indefinitely, that adds validity to the modern view that age is just a number. And while that can be a freeing way of looking at life, it can also be scary, especially in a world where more and more people aren't buying into the existence of an afterlife. It would mean that aging is therefore unnecessary and kinda a tragedy. Even if Peter doesn't ever physically age past 30, a Peter who stays that young physically while continuing to grow and change as a person is not only enough to remind us of this tragedy, but also to trigger feelings of jealousy in us.

So if you're a fan who buys into the Traditionalist View of aging more than you buy into the modern one (and most of the pro-OMD fans probably do... Notice how one of the most common-listed argument in favor of it was that Peter can't experience significant growth as an adult, or that "the story is over" once Peter marries MJ), the pre-OMD Spider-Man not only challenged a view you had that you maybe weren't ready to have challenged, he also had to rub it in by being fictional and therefore immortal while you, a real person, will grow old and get grey hair and eventually die.
    Well, are we expecting an older Peter would look and act his age, though? Like would Peter at age 65 still have the physique and looks of him in his 30's-40's?