Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Yeah, and that's probably due to most of the artists being White men, but even at that they were less aware of these things. Nowadays they seem to be a bit more conscious, at least with the newer characters

It's only his codename because that's what's given to him. I don't grasp your logic

Some of these names will probably be stupid. But they can still try.

I don't totally disagree, but I don't think it's a bad thing to advertise the diversity of the characters, especially in an industry lacking in it.
    Yeah but that's his codename, he was created to be Spiderman. Not Shadow Spider or Kid Arachnid (awful name) but Spiderman.

Also sorry for the unnecessary block quote I'm on mobile.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Ultimate Member

And that means it can't be changed?

Not exactly but I don't think they see a reason too, he seems to be doing extremely well with just Spiderman and Miles. If he were less popular I could see them changing his name like they did with Cho.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

What's your argument for why it should change? At the level of success he's achieved as Spider-Man, why should he suddenly change to a different name?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    Not exactly but I don't think they see a reason too, he seems to be doing extremely well with just Spiderman and Miles. If he were less popular I could see them changing his name like they did with Cho.
    Ok. I'm ok either way, but I hear some saying he's stuck in Peter's shadow because he's not allowed to branch out enough

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Wolf-By-Night View Post
    What's your argument for why it should change? At the level of success he's achieved as Spider-Man, why should he suddenly change to a different name?
    I'm not totally arguing for him to change. But I think it helps every hero to jave their own unique identity.

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    I feel it is, and it bothers me. I feel a lot of these newer characters aren’t built for long term success. They feel in a lot of ways like some of the more gimmicky characters created in the 90’s.Characters created to feed off of trend, but lacking a lot of the important ground work that will enable a character to thrive long term. You can only go so far on the charisma of the main character. I feel a lot them will be relegated to b and c list characters in a few years, or become throw in characters on large teams where they get very little development and that’s just sad.
    How can diversity even be a "fad?" Fads are temporary. The demographics of the US is becoming more diverse on many levels, long term. This is a sign of the times.

They obviously were setting up Miles to take on a new name at one point (pretty much the entire last year of Bendis' work on the character was setting it up) and then they got cold feet due to the Spider-Verse movie, IIRC.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Besouro View Post
    All this talk about diversity being a gimmick or a fad in a real life very diverse country like the U.S seems outdated and perhaps backward for discussion ...perhaps better would be how diversity is applied. For instance I think racebending is wrong diversity and support creating original diverse characters doesn't matter if they are legacy characters like say Falcon becoming Cap or fully original characters like say DCs Naomi or multiversal sharing title characters who are different from the original like Miles Morales sharing Spiderman title with Parker or at DC having Calvis Ellis sharing the Superman title with Clark Kent,etc

Regarding the topic of this thread, it's more suitable for more racially monolithic countries/societies like say....Japan where the anime/manga industry seems hellbent against black leads and/dark skinned characters despite claiming to be an assortment of an assortment of colorful characters yet they will whitewash a anime version of a real life person- Naomi Osaka (she was NOT pleased). If someone who represents your country as a champion and brought the world championship can't be afforded proper respect to the authenticity of her appearance....what chance is there for manga)anime creatorw to create black/dark skin leads and characters in their projects.

There have been a few but a droplet in the ocean compared to other race of characters in anime/manga.

Then there is the hiding black characters .....look no further than Appleseed. Lol!.

Anyway, sorry for the sidetrack. Carry on.
    I never said diversity is a fad. I questioned whether Marvel as a company treats it as such. I never meant for this thread to be condemnation of diversity. I was just questioning the creative process of newer characters vs characters that have stood the test of time.

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

The comic book community has a victim complex with "shoving sh*t down my throat" being their most beloved phrase.

If these characters had names along the lines of "Iron B**ch" instead of "Ironheart" people would have accepted it more as their kind of diversity. They have been taught to see one group of people one way and another group another, and any change was an assault to their beliefs. We also have to acknowledge that social media has made the revolution of inclusion toxic in the eyes of many, so they're going to reject it based on what they have seen elsewhere.

Marvel knew the majority of readers don't want new things or changes because we're an older bunch that grew up with comics everywhere and most kids don't watch Saturday morning cartoon commercials to buy into the ecosystem that is comic fandom.

The MCU isn't selling comics, they're selling their vision and their merchandise, and comics are the least lucrative in the grand scheme of things.

Yes. It was a fad, and what ever made it afterwards might stick around, but they are back to legacy characters.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I liked Shadow Spider as Miles's hero name. It's not the best but I prefer it over the other choices. There is also Scarlet Spider but I don't know Ben/Kaine's status nowadays.
    **SHADOW** spider is waaay too on the nose racially. Kinda like *Black* Lightning until DC gave him actual literal dark colored electrical powers in New52.

Also not sure about Ben and Kaine but they both have been given MANY solo series repeatedly, same with Spiderman 2099. They will obvious return with a new solo soon

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    I never said diversity is a fad. I questioned whether Marvel as a company treats it as such. I never meant for this thread to be condemnation of diversity. I was just questioning the creative process of newer characters vs characters that have stood the test of time.
    The latter is accidental. Most of the Marvel heroes weren't intended to last this long. I'm not even sure they were intended to last the year.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 06-24-2021 at 06:16 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    The latter is accidental. Most of the Marvel heroes weren't intended to last this long. I'm not even sure they were intended to last the year.
    Yeah, despite what some fans of characters may say, not all of their popularity was intentional, or necessarily based on the character alone.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    They obviously were setting up Miles to take on a new name at one point (pretty much the entire last year of Bendis' work on the character was setting it up) and then they got cold feet due to the Spider-Verse movie, IIRC.
    This.
    He had major Grayson vibes but they saw Spider-verse success and stopped.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    Yeah but that's his codename, he was created to be Spiderman. Not Shadow Spider or Kid Arachnid (awful name) but Spiderman.

Also sorry for the unnecessary block quote I'm on mobile.
    In the 1610.In the 616 his entire origin and motive to be Spider-man is irrelevant.
    Not only that 616 has more than enough heroes.