Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

No. The last one was a fad set up to fail imo. In what world was replacing your white heroes with black characters going to last or work for that matter. It is imo a much more genuine push when they are developing these characters where they may connect to a franchise but not replace them as imo that is one of the biggest hesitancy to diversity, the fear of being replaced. I mean it can be done in smaller roles where you want to keep a mantle or something but it never took off but you can't just place Sam in the Cap outfit while Steve is still alive and seriously go into it think "yes this is what we need for diversity" unless your trying to make it fail. but thats jmho.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Children of the Atom also, but that's less trying to score diversity points than trying real hard to capture the lightning of Young Avengers

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    No. The last one was a fad set up to fail imo. In what world was replacing your white heroes with black characters going to last or work for that matter. It is imo a much more genuine push when they are developing these characters where they may connect to a franchise but not replace them as imo that is one of the biggest hesitancy to diversity, the fear of being replaced. I mean it can be done in smaller roles where you want to keep a mantle or something but it never took off but you can't just place Sam in the Cap outfit while Steve is still alive and seriously go into it think "yes this is what we need for diversity" unless your trying to make it fail. but thats jmho.
    The fear of being replaced is a stupid fear, especially since the majority were the ones suppressing the minority cultures, and not the other way around

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Are reactionary threads questioning any attempts at diversification like this a fad?

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

I am growing to love these types of threads more and more. Some truly excellent responses here. Carry on.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

I think the overall move towards introducing more diverse characters isn't a fad.

I do think some specific pushes of specific characters have been, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    I feel like if characters like Black Panther, Falcon, War Machine, Luke Cage, Carol, Storm, or any other character that isn't a straight white dude, had hit the scene today, they too would have been dismissed as 'fads' or pandering or whatever terminology people want to use to paint them as inconsequential and disingenuous.
    You know what is interesting? Every character you listed has their own identity. Compare that to the most popular character of the new guard, Miles Morales who is a Spider-Man but not the Spider-Man. So everyone just called him...Miles.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Extraordinary Member

It's not a fad, but it does wax and wane. I think Marvel comics in the '80s were more concerned about diversity and gender balance than the '90s. Things can go backwards as well as forwards.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    You know what is interesting? Every character you listed has their own identity. Compare that to the most popular character of the new guard, Miles Morales who is a Spider-Man but not the Spider-Man. So everyone just called him...Miles.
    I think it could help Miles if he has is own codename

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    It's not a fad, but it does wax and wane. I think Marvel comics in the '80s were more concerned about diversity and gender balance than the '90s. Things can go backwards as well as forwards.
    I think now with the modern diverse characters, there's a bit more involvement of their experiences as minorities into their characterizations, but in a less stereotypical way

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I think now with the modern diverse characters, there's a bit more involvement of their experiences as minorities into their characterizations, but in a less stereotypical way
    Yeah, the 80's default position of depicting many POC characters could be boiled down to "They're drawn or colored by the colorist to look POC, but they're going to be written to talk and act exactly the same as the white characters. No acknowledgment of any African-American, Asian, Latino, Indigenous, or any other kind of minority culture that is distinct from prevailing Caucasian peoples' culture, let alone the history of those communities in America, shall be made outside of a throwaway reference to whatever is happening in immediate pop culture."

It is a fad editorially because Marvel will be perfomative by pretending to be progressive and then doing things that are not. It's genuine from the creators.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I think it could help Miles if he has is own codename
    It really wouldn't help Miles to have another codename because being Spider-Man is his codename. Also when you consider between Kamala Khan and Ms. Marvel which is the bigger identity in the long run - Kamala will always come up top and Ms. Marvel second.

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    It really wouldn't help Miles to have another codename because being Spider-Man is his codename. Also when you consider between Kamala Khan and Ms. Marvel which is the bigger identity in the long run - Kamala will always come up top and Ms. Marvel second.
    Thank you, I don't know why this is such a hard concept for people to grasp.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Mighty Member

Honestly, a better discussion should be on why comic sales and comic industry is falling/ in decline despite the massive superhero adaptations in cinema and tv....compared to manga sales, anime and industry being on the ascent.

What does manga/anime have which make them succeed enough to sell manga in many millions of issues (even in the U S) that comicbooks do not have struggling to sell at 20s of 1000s?

Now after we discuss and find what makes anime/manga successful how can those factors be applied to the comicbook industry in order to revitalize it towards higher sales success.