Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Wonder Woman #774 Discussion/Spoilers

I really liked this issue!

Art was good, colors were great.

It was exposition heavy, but there was an eerie feeling while reading it.

but apparently the Greek gods started indoctrinated Roman gods into their pantheon when their own ranks started dwindling, the latest of whom being Janus.

Janus eventually split in two and took on Diana’s form (sort of, lol. turn out Psycho’s “dark Diana” illusion was actually what Janus looks like), which was why Diana got slingshot to Asgard instead of Olympus. Janus then began killing the other gods with a blade similar to the godkiller sword until all of Olympus was destroyed.

Now Diana is going to the graveyard of the gods to save her pantheon (just don’t save Zeus, Diana… he’s fine where he is.)

Also turns out Ratatoskr new this whole time and didn’t tell Diana because he was worried she would leave Asgard before saving Yggdrasil.

I feel like I gotta read this issue again because there was a lot of dialogue in this one.
    Last edited by I'm a Fish; 06-22-2021 at 04:37 AM.

Ohhhhh, because Janus/Ianus sometimes has a female equivalent called called Jana/Iana and Janus/Ianus is another form of Dianus while Jana/Iana is another form of Roman goddess Diana.

BROOOO

Last edited by Conn Seanery; 06-22-2021 at 09:34 AM.

Agreed, it was a fun Issue.

I like how obvious it becomes that Diana has all of her memories back, especially when Deadman and she enter Tartarus.

Janus has a sick design. Cloonan's & Conrad's roots in horror are coming through every now and then and I love it. Diana also tied him up very nicely, lol.

I wonder if the Janus-Psycho connection is gonna come up again or if he could find that image of Diana's psyche because he was connected to the astral plane.

Was that really the Jason they met? Cause I approve of taking him out of the game like that, lol.

Art was good. McDonald's Diana is more how I imagine her but Ratatoskr really isn't. Now I get why Diana calls him rat. The image at the start with his claw tinged in blood is terrifying. xD

I wonder who is causing discord in the backup. It's probably a god or circe, but the young man makes me think of the Duke of Deception.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Ohhhhh, because Janus/Ianus sometimes has a female equivalent called called Jana/Iana and Janus/Ianus is another form of Dianus while Jana/Iana is another form of Roman goddess Diana.

BROOOO

Bit of a step down from the previous issues but mainly for being exposition than anything else. Janus looks like an interesting concept so we’ll see how this goes.

I liked the art for the settings like Olympus, Tartarus, and preview of the Gods Graveyards but Diana looked just a bit off to me. Also interesting Hephaestus was his New 52 design (granted I don’t think we’ve seen him since the New 52 )

I kind of have to roll my eyes at another god-killing weapon but I thought the original God Killer sword looked stupid so I’ll give points for using a sickle as a design.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Jana hired Psycho to cause trouble is Asgard to destruct Diana long enough so she could kill the gods.

I mean, it seriously can’t be a coincidence Psycho took her form when confronting Diana. Plus Diana did question how “half a god” could kill the entire pantheon. Wouldn’t be surprised if she had some help.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Bit of a step down from the previous issues but mainly for being exposition than anything else. Janus looks like an interesting concept so we’ll see how this goes.

I liked the art for the settings like Olympus, Tartarus, and preview of the Gods Graveyards but Diana looked just a bit off to me. Also interesting Hephaestus was his New 52 design (granted I don’t think we’ve seen him since the New 52 )

I kind of have to roll my eyes at another god-killing weapon but I thought the original God Killer sword looked stupid so I’ll give points for using a sickle as a design.
    Yeah, godkiller II (I already forgot what it was called, lol) was a bit of an again?” concept for me, but at least they ripped the bandaid off and didn’t over explain it.

Plus it does look creepier than the godkiller sword. It’s so thin and simple but somehow much more menacing.
    Last edited by I'm a Fish; 06-22-2021 at 06:03 AM.

Incredible Member

Another great issue, Wonderfam!

I really enjoyed their handling of the plot progression. Yeah, it was exposition heavy, but they brought back some stuff that had me geeking out about the appreciation for the Wonder mythos. Rod of Asclepius, Tartarus and the eerie design of the elevator (felt very Sandman-y), Cronus, Wondie tying a man up, Athena's reflecting pool, Deadman and cameo by Madame Xanadu cementing Diana's link to the magical side of the DCU, Diana flying and blasting off from Olympus, referencing Diana's previous trip to the Graveyard of the Gods, and that last page was ethereal and cosmicy goodness.

MacDonald put in good work and his Diana is definitely teeing up Jill Thompson's Diana. Loved the Tartarus scenes and he has a good fluidity and the inks really added some weight to an otherwise not too action packed issue. Colors were great and the contrast between the traditional marble Greek stylings, to the reds and oranges of Tartarus, the blues of the well scene, and finally the last page upon their entry to the Graveyard.

On the God Scraper, I don't think the sickle/scythe design is coincidental, especially after they gave Cronus a speaking role and had Diana acknowledge that she put him there. Considering we know things are gonna get timey wimey from the solicits and Cronus traditional association with the sickle/scythe, it wouldn't surprise me if the leader of the Titans got out and somehow got hold of that God Scraper.

I appreciated that Diana got to heal someone with her wits and knowledge of her culture's mystical artifacts and used that same knowledge to get help from a friend. It's so cool elements like the Greek, Norse, Roman, magic superheroes of the DCU, and Diana's history mixed together in an enjoyable Wonder Woman comic. And Janus as a villain is legit conceptual fucking genius haha.

I'm curious about the back-up's villain and hope Clio is fine! Also, Paulina Ganucheau's Jumpa gives me life and her grumpy, exasperated expressions killed me. I need more Jumpa in my life.
    Last edited by Shimbo; 06-22-2021 at 06:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post

Yeah, godkiller II (I already forgot what it was called, lol) was a bit of an again?” concept for me, but at least they ripped the bandaid off and didn’t over explain it.

Plus it does look creepier than the godkiller sword. It’s so thin and simple but somehow much more menacing.
    Least what we know what this is now.

Last time Diana got her hands on a sickle, it didn’t turn out too well for the sickle.

Wonder Woman Vol.2 #150

I agree, I found myself slightly less interested this issue. Don't get me wrong, it was still very good, but it'll definitely read better in trade.

Seeing Cronus in the Graveyard was fun. He's a blast from the past who hasn't appeared in decades. I wonder who else ended up there? It's likely his children (Disdain, Arch, Harrier, etc) are there, plus Cottus, maybe Deimos & Phobos. I wish the art was more detailed on that page.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    I agree, I found myself slightly less interested this issue. Don't get me wrong, it was still very good, but it'll definitely read better in trade.

Seeing Cronus in the Graveyard was fun. He's a blast from the past who hasn't appeared in decades. I wonder who else ended up there? It's likely his children (Disdain, Arch, Harrier, etc) are there, plus Cottus, maybe Deimos & Phobos. I wish the art was more detailed on that page.
    Yeah, I spent a few minutes looking over that Tartarus page to see if I recognized anyone.

They've said in interviews this will be a nine part story so yeah, it will be interesting to see how this read in trade.

Incredible Member

Yeah, I spent a few minutes looking over that Tartarus page to see if I recognized anyone.

They've said in interviews this will be a nine part story so yeah, it will be interesting to see how this read in trade.
    Gotta give it to them for their confidence/bravery on starting their run with a 9 issue arc. Most new series nowadays don't even get 9 issues before they're cancelled, and new creative teams don't necessarily fare any better on on-going books before getting the boot. Look at poor Yang on Batman/Superman!

Also, just read WW Black and Gold #1 and it reminded me that Diana did kind of kill the Roman Goddess Diana in the short Simonson run. Maybe she could pop up?
    Last edited by Shimbo; 06-22-2021 at 08:01 AM.

I’m starting to think Diana (the Roman goddess) has it out for Wonder Woman since another aspect of Diana is also Hecate, lol.

Also why do I feel like Janus just made the same mistake post-crisis Circe did with the “prophecy name” complications. I’m predicting she prophesied a “Diana” would kill the gods, which did just happen because Janus is a Diana, but the goddess Diana and not the superhero Diana/Wonder Woman.
    Last edited by I'm a Fish; 06-22-2021 at 08:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shimbo View Post
    Gotta give it to them for their confidence/bravery on starting their run with a 9 issue arc. Most new series nowadays don't even get 9 issues before they're cancelled, and new creative teams don't necessarily fare any better on on-going books before getting the boot. Look at poor Yang on Batman/Superman!
    Yeah, that was the one book from either the Superman and Batman lines I was most interested in checking out.

Quote Originally Posted by Shimbo View Post
    Also, just read WW Black and Gold #1 and it reminded me that Diana did kind of kill the Roman Goddess Diana in the short Simonson run. Maybe she could pop up?
    Ah, that’s what that was referencing. I got Medusa, obviously, but was wondering what storyline that was calling back to since I own the trade but haven’t read it.

Incredible Member

While I'm definitely enjoying this and applaud Cloonrad making the best out of the editorial hand they were dealt with the end of Death Metal, but I also don't disagree with your post. I'm thinking 780 is going to be a fresh start with a new status quo that serves as a jumping on point and she'll probably be back on Earth for that.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 06-22-2021 at 10:25 AM.

Janus wasn't a minor god to the Romans. Pretty major actually (as in, the most important one).
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 06-22-2021 at 10:25 AM.