Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Infinite Frontier #1 Spoilers and Discussion

Alright so right out the gate there is a lot to talk about here, because there are a lot of characters all doing there own thing and all of it is pretty grand in scope because it all concerns big mysteries, the multiverse, and a few reveals we may not have seen coming. That in mind I’ve decided to break into all spoiler boxes under specific characters after a brief intro, hope that’s okay.

Anyway I will say that not a lot of this is follow up from the #0 issue back in March, obviously things like Alan Scott, Barry Allen, Roy Harper, and Darkseid are all important but it’s not exactly 1 for 1 as things have moved on and only certain characters are getting focus compared to the whole DC universe. There’s also a lot to deal with the multiverse and how to handle it in the wake of events such as Death Metal, in fact they do reference the dark multiverse a few times. Either way I think it’s an interesting first issue that’s throwing us into a multiverse mystery that will lead to a crisis event, only problem is that it’s not new reader friendly.

It does not take time to explain who people are and goes straight into the story, which is fine and for some people like me who read a bunch of comics from a wide variety of stories since childhood. But unfortunately if you don’t know about Director Bones, Agent Chase, The Justice Incarnate, Flashpoint Batman, and the Psycho Pirate, which you may not be because its a wide range of odd characters from Earth-0 to Flashpoint, to the multiverse, then you may be a bit confused when a Batman crash lands on Earth-23. Luckily Secret Files is a thing huh. But I do think it’s a good start to an interesting story that I can’t wait to see more of. And with that onto the spoilers.

Alan Scott and Family (Obsidian and Jade only)

spoilers:
    So after stomping on Extant in the opening, Alan goes off with Obsidian to an old JSA base in Gotham where Jade is with undisclosed friends, no doubt a JSA or Infinity Inc. tease, but then the base blows up via green fire and everyone including Jade has suddenly disappeared and Obsidian can’t track her. In reading this scene it does feel like it may tie-in to what’s going on with Roy and Flashpoint Batman.
    end of spoilers

Chase and Director Bones

spoilers:
    Not too much happens here, it’s basically Bones recruiting Chase in a reformed DEO to deal with the fact that the multiverse is now common knowledge and that weird stuff is happening because of it. I’m assuming it leads to more but not much for the first issue.
    end of spoilers

Flashpoint Batman and The Justice Incarnate

spoilers:
    Okay so as the preview shows Thomas Wayne crash lands on Earth-23 in a ship in front of Calvin Ellis’ parents and Calvin takes the unconscious body to the Justice Incarnate to get a look at him and see what’s going on. Because as you recall last we saw old Thomas Bane had broken his back in prison but this makes it seem that since then someone captured him and kept him trapped somewhere else and he only now managed to escape, maybe the same people who captured Jade and the JSA, but who knows. All we know is someone is kidnapping and holding multiverse people hostage.
    end of spoilers

Barry Allen and Psycho Pirate

spoilers:
    So Barry has gone off on his own to explore the Omega world and to do so he’s decided to run through the whole “mapped” multiverse to build up speed and energy, by the way I like that scene because we get a glimpse of what looks like classic Earth-2 Helena Wayne. But anyway Barry’s plan works but he immediately regrets it when he comes across the murdered corpses of the Quintessence.

But he doesn’t get long to think about it when an upgraded Psycho Pirate attacks working alongside Darkseid who apparently want Barry for something. All we truly know is that Psycho knows of a coming crisis and says he and Barry will be on the same side. So yeah Psycho and Darkseid have captured the Fastest man alive now.
    end of spoilers

Finally Roy Harper......and the mysterious new Black Lantern (shocked gasps!), yeah they reveal who it is in the first issue of series.

spoilers:
    So Roy is sitting in a dinner and the scene is kind of long because we are just getting dialogue of people talking about Death Metal and the multiverse and then we get a guy who basically claims the Multiverse is fake news created by the superheroes...but that doesn’t last long when that new multiverse bounty hunter X-tract shows up coming for Roy with a squad of henchmen.

And things look bad until the black lantern appears and kicks out X-tract and her people. The Black lantern of course is none other then....Roy Harper! That’s right, Roy is the Black Lantern and is making constructs of himself. I guess that’s where Batman’s black lantern ring went but Roy looks a little concerned of course he probably should be because I think he was around for Blackest Night. But that’s the final shot of the issue, Roy in Black Lantern gear with dark colored constructs of his past.
    end of spoilers

All sounds pretty crazy right. Either way I know I’m coming back next issue as I’m generally intrigued by multiverse shenanigans and big crazy ideas like what Williamson presents here.
    Last edited by sifighter; 06-22-2021 at 05:50 AM.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

BANNED

I liked the Black Lantern twist, wasn't expecting that.
    Flashpoint Batman could be from another multiverse according to the Justice Incarnate.

And about the Omega World, I don't think Darkseid is behind everything.
    In issue#0, the Quintessence said they trapped the "new threat" to the new multiverse,
    and Omega World will be "its" prison,
    then Darkseid showed up and defeated all the Quintessence,
    so I think there is something else.

Astonishing Member

They seem to have resetted Thomas Wayne Batman, so maybe you can ignore what Tom King did to him.

The Omega Earth world has no vibrations, no frequencies.

Quote Originally Posted by kalai View Post
    I liked the Black Lantern twist, wasn't expecting that.
    Flashpoint Batman could be from another multiverse according to the Justice Incarnate.

And about the Omega World, I don't think Darkseid is behind everything.
    In issue#0, the Quintessence said they trapped the "new threat" to the new multiverse,
    and Omega World will be "its" prison,
    then Darkseid showed up and defeated all the Quintessence,
    so I think there is something else.
    I think the Justice Incarnate were noticing he was an anomaly created by Flashpoint instead of another mapped world, besides the fact he knew Barry Allen should have clued us in that this was the main Flashpoint Thomas Wayne.

Also I'm not 100% sure but I'm pretty sure the Quintessence trapped composite darkseid on Omega World when he turned on them. Could be proven wrong by this series though.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

When the solicits revealed that Roy was going to have powers i was skeptical, but this actually make sense. I liked this issue a lot.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nș8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

By the way wasn’t the Gotham base for the JSA a pre-crisis thing? Also I hope someone just goes “before the reality rewrite that wasn’t a JSA base, it was a Starbucks!”
    Last edited by sifighter; 06-22-2021 at 11:41 AM.
    Words to live by.

I am a sucker for crisis-like events, and boy.. WILLIAMSON NAILED IT !
    Both metals were underwhelming and all over the place imo, so this issue did a really good job on setting up what is to come in this series' next issues (or the overall DCU arc for the next couple of years)

So much stuff to digest here
    -Flashpoint Batman returning (apparently they are retconning the *** out of King's run, which I am perfectly fine with !)
    -Roy Harper as a freaking Black Lantern !
    -The JSA new status quo (and its sudden dissappearance for a change, heh)
    -Psycho Pirate returning, and upgraded (I got OG crisis vibes here)
    -Bones taking matters in its own hands
    -Darkseid as THE big bad of the DCU.

Man, I love this ! Also, can we talk about how people remember Death Metal (and maybe the og crisis as well) and how they're are losing their minds over it? It is an intriguing concept, I wanna see further explored also.
    Please make the BWL stay DEAD ! PLEASE !

TL;DR: I trust in Williamson

I didn't care for the last page because my Black Lantern overdose from Blackest Night still isn't over (more than a decade later), but I liked the issue overall.
    I love that they're focusing on different characters that don't usually get the spotlight and I'm a sucker for anything exploring the multiverse.

Astonishing Member

Yeah I was right, Earth 2 restored to something more pre-crisis.

Wonder if the Elseworld is the Flashpoint world or something else?

Earth Omega is also the new Apokolips in ways but with blue and no fire.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

If the OG E-2 is back, does that mean that the end of DDC is canon? Because that's basically what it said also.
    Assassinate Putin!

Astonishing Member

Depends. Also Earth 1985 and 52 would exist.

Quote Originally Posted by D.Z View Post
    I mean perhaps they are just not mapped earths, DC has made it known that the 52 earths we know of are the mapped ones.
    Words to live by.

I think they should, even if I hate the Earth 1985 name LOL. Might as well call it Dated Earth.
    And this is coming from someone who would love to see some stories set in the Pre-Crisis DCU.

Astonishing Member

They seem to have resetted Thomas Wayne Batman, so maybe you can ignore what Tom King did to him.

The Omega Earth world has no vibrations, no frequencies.
    The alternative is that someone plucked Thomas from earlier/later in the timeline after he was meant to be hit by the Anti-Matter wave from Manhattan collapsing Flashpoint

Which would raise questions of whether Roy is the one being sought

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    If the OG E-2 is back, does that mean that the end of DDC is canon? Because that's basically what it said also.
    Who knows where DDC stands.