Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

The Bobby story was so so great! I personally don't think Magento was OOC though *shrugs*

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

I think if you are strictly representing silver age Magneto, then yes he would be out of character, because he was a one dimensional villain at the time. However, if you are acknowledging that Lee Magneto and Claremont Magneto are the same person and attempting to reconcile silver age Mags with New Mutants headmaster Mags then his behavior is believable.

I also really like the Prodigy story by Gillen, I think it's funny that his bi awakening was discovering that Colossus is hot, as that probably parallels a lot of queer X-Men fans' experiences. Also David finding a relatable figure in Kitty Pryde pretty strongly implies she is also bi, although it would be nice if this were more explicitly stated.

The Mystique and Destiny story was also very good, which was surprising to me, because I have come to expect very little from Howard. It also nicely foreshadows Inferno.

I didn't like the Anole story, I felt like it was kind of clunky and it didn't feel like an authentic interaction between two young, queer friends. I also don't think Daken was a good choice for this story, weird age gap and I don't find it believable that Daken would want to dance with Anole.

The Karma story was odd because her characterization was weirdly timid and inexperienced. It's even stranger because Ayala has been writing Karma so well over in New Mutants. I'm also kind of bummed that they din't pair her with Dani, as the two have had a heavy subtextual vibe in that series.

The Northstar and Kyle story was just kind of nothing, and had what I think is the worst art of the book.

I was listening to an old Cerebro Cast episode and there was a listener question about what character would make a good therapist for the mutants of Krakoa, and I think Somnus could potentially fill that role nicely, if they are interested in using him again.

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Also it kind of looked like they deliberately drew Magneto to look like McKellan? He definitely looked way, way older than he does currently.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    I think if you are strictly representing silver age Magneto, then yes he would be out of character, because he was a one dimensional villain at the time. However, if you are acknowledging that Lee Magneto and Claremont Magneto are the same person and attempting to reconcile silver age Mags with New Mutants headmaster Mags then his behavior is believable.

I also really like the Prodigy story by Gillen, I think it's funny that his bi awakening was discovering that Colossus is hot, as that probably parallels a lot of queer X-Men fans' experiences. Also David finding a relatable figure in Kitty Pryde pretty strongly implies she is also bi, although it would be nice if this were more explicitly stated.

The Mystique and Destiny story was also very good, which was surprising to me, because I have come to expect very little from Howard. It also nicely foreshadows Inferno.

I didn't like the Anole story, I felt like it was kind of clunky and it didn't feel like an authentic interaction between two young, queer friends. I also don't think Daken was a good choice for this story, weird age gap and I don't find it believable that Daken would want to dance with Anole.

The Karma story was odd because her characterization was weirdly timid and inexperienced. It's even stranger because Ayala has been writing Karma so well over in New Mutants. I'm also kind of bummed that they din't pair her with Dani, as the two have had a heavy subtextual vibe in that series.

The Northstar and Kyle story was just kind of nothing, and had what I think is the worst art of the book.

I was listening to an old Cerebro Cast episode and there was a listener question about what character would make a good therapist for the mutants of Krakoa, and I think Somnus could potentially fill that role nicely, if they are interested in using him again.
    I guess Vita is not going in the direction to pair Dani with Karma.

Anole and Graymalkin have been shown to be friends before.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    Also it kind of looked like they deliberately drew Magneto to look like McKellan? He definitely looked way, way older than he does currently.
    He was older then, this would have been before he was de-aged and then aged back up to his prime.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Anole and Graymalkin have been shown to be friends before.
    Yes, I know. My problem isn't that they are shown to be friends. It is that, to me, the dialogue between them didn't feel like an authentic conversation between two friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post

Pretty much agree with all of this!

One thing I just don't understand in general is how often Daken is getting used in these types of stories? I just don't see his appeal as a character much.

Anole hun you can do so much better than dancing with the 4th best 'Wolverine' character.

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    I kind of got that too haha.

I don't know how I feel about the Somnus origin story. He lived a full life and died an old age death. Obviously most people don't want to die, but an unnatural and/or untimely death leading to resurrection makes sense. A kind of full complete, old age death... how could you be sure they wanted to be resurrected? Not sure they thought this one through...

This might be nitpicky but Prodigy had a real crush on Dani Moonstar his teacher not Emma Frost. There was a moment where he was considering if he should stay at the school and he told Dani that if she asked him to stay he would but she shut him down because she was his teacher. He didn't have a crush on Colossus or Emma

Quote Originally Posted by Outburstz View Post
    This might be nitpicky but Prodigy had a real crush on Dani Moonstar his teacher not Emma Frost. There was a moment where he was considering if he should stay at the school and he told Dani that if she asked him to stay he would but she shut him down because she was his teacher. He didn't have a crush on Colossus or Emma
    True. I'd rather they had acknowledged this part of his history, than randomly chosen Emma or Colossus as examples. That said, it is possible he had a crush on all three... though I wish there was some consistency there lol. emma, colossus and dani are all extremely different in personality types and looks. Though I guess Hulkling does somewhat resemble a blond colossus....

At least based on his dating history, his type seems to skew toward impulsive speedsters (Nori, Tommy).
    Last edited by ChronoRogue; 06-26-2021 at 02:53 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by KylunFan View Post
    Pretty much agree with all of this!

One thing I just don't understand in general is how often Daken is getting used in these types of stories? I just don't see his appeal as a character much.

Anole hun you can do so much better than dancing with the 4th best 'Wolverine' character.
    Cynical as i am, i suspect the primary reason is simply because he is a younger darker (as in moraly questionable or downright evil) "punk" looking Wolverine who also happens to be agressively (not just in how he interacts but also how he abuses it for his personal gain) bi-sexual.

So you get all the "coolness" factor of a "bad boy" versions of a very popular character, combined with the ability to market him as LGBTQ+ character for PR points (what ever they do these books out of a genuine desire for promoting inclusivity or just a cold corperate demand for wanting positive buzz is up for debate).

However the interesting question in all of this, is what ever Daken really is that popular with many readers (straight or LGBT+) as Wolverine is (who is undeniably popular as his mere presence does seem to increase sales even on mediocre books), or if it's just the writers and/or people in charge who like him and want readers to feel the same, leading them to heavily promote the character or put him in stories, even though most readers might be indifferent to negatively in their opinion of him?

However sales figures being what they are, there isn't much empirical data to really judge, as far as i can see.

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoRogue View Post
    True. I'd rather they had acknowledged this part of his history, than randomly chosen Emma or Colossus as examples. That said, it is possible he had a crush on all three... though I wish there was some consistency there lol. emma, colossus and dani are all extremely different in personality types and looks. Though I guess Hulkling does somewhat resemble a blond colossus....

At least based on his dating history, his type seems to skew toward impulsive speedsters (Nori, Tommy).
    Not Marvel only having him be attracted to white people after Nori…

Quote Originally Posted by Outburstz View Post
    This is about sexual attraction, not feelings. He mentions Emma and Piotr because the two of them are walking around half naked.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

It's literally impossible to not be attracted to Emma Frost, no matter what one's sexual/romantic preferences are.

Loved the Iceman story, as he and Magneto were my two favorite mutants before the Academy X/New X-men class were created. Magneto in this story really showcased why I've always supported him and his ideology over Xavier's.
    MAGNETO was right,TONY was right, VARYS was right.

Proud member of House Ravenclaw and loyal bannerman to House Baratheon

"I am an optimist even though I am told everything I do is negative and cynical" --Armando Iannucci

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Well, when he talked about "bisexual heaven", we saw Jubilee and Storm (+Kurt and Remi) in the room. So maybe he was attracted to more X-Men than just Emma and Piotr ?

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    This is about sexual attraction, not feelings. He mentions Emma and Piotr because the two of them are walking around half naked.
    That... doesn't mean he can't have a physical type either. There is still a ton of differences between all of those, but IDK maybe David is just into every type lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X
    rip yea. though we've been knew that Marvel needs to do better in the POC front