Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Titans academy issue 4

This issue follows the Batpack as they try to figure out who Red X is. It's a fun detective story set in a high school for superheroes.

After reading this issue twice, I'd buy a Bat-pack spinoff. I don't even care who Red X is. I just had fun reading these three attempting to be amateur sleuths. They should pop up outside this book.

Anyone else pick it up?
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 06-22-2021 at 01:15 PM.

Astonishing Member

I didn't enjoy the Bat-pack at all.

Initially I disliked the bat-pack. But after reading this issue I liked them, hope to see more of them.

Incredible Member

I hate to criticize but it totally reminded me of the DEO Orphans. And the writer probably changed Red X's identity because some fans guessed who he is.

Yeah I thought the bat pack was fun, plus I’m now very curious about Bratgirl given her tech abilities.

Also nice to see more of Stitch who was really funny and has a very interesting narrative type ability. Oh and Matt Price might as well be Conner Kent from the look of it.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by abetterday View Post
    I hate to criticize but it totally reminded me of the DEO Orphans. And the writer probably changed Red X's identity because some fans guessed who he is.
    Who are the DEO orphans? I always thought it was Brick.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Yeah I thought the bat pack was fun, plus I’m now very curious about Bratgirl given her tech abilities.

Also nice to see more of Stitch who was really funny and has a very interesting narrative type ability. Oh and Matt Price might as well be Conner Kent from the look of it.
    So he's an amnesiac Conner? I just thought he was another Conner clone.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Who are the DEO orphans? I always thought it was Brick.
    A group of Orphans who were associated with Epsilon back in Devin Grayson's TITANS run of the early 2000s

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    So he's an amnesiac Conner? I just thought he was another Conner clone.
    I just meant he had similar powers, clearly super strength and flying.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by abetterday View Post
    Who did the fans think Red X is?

Omg, I had a post written for this but I lost it during page reload.

I know this is "Titans Academy" but it'd be nice to see some damn Titans once in a while instead of all these teenagers. I hate to say it but I don't like how the Red X mystery is being artificially dragging out every issue pretending to promise a reveal. it feels like such a cheap way to get people buying. Much more of this and Im gonna be like Annie Wilkes going off the rails in Misery when she complains about chapter play cliffhangers...

Yeah, she needs to meet Oracle. She definitely has a lot in common with Babs.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I appreciate their efforts, but these Brat Pack kids suck at being detectives.

We need more of the Titans and less of their students. The DC Universe is full of so many interesting young adult superheroes and this is what they're choosing to focus on? A series where none of the existing young heroes are actively being used and instead we're focusing entirely on a cast of whole new characters specifically devoted to Batman in a Titans book.

Astonishing Member

I tend to agree we need to see more Titans, but that said, it's issue # 4 and the first arc is naturally going to be the introduction to the new class before getting carried away with the teachers or field team so it's not necessarily "time yet" for the focus to shift - that no doubt comes naturally as a result of the fallout of this opening act and Red X mystery being the thing that solidifies the new kids and brings them into the orbit of the classics. So they've got time to make that happen and the story balance to shift nicely and level out. From a personal standpoint I'm less focused on seeing the Vintage Titans (the teachers) and want to specifically see more of the Tim Drake/YJ phase field team, and if they're taking new kids out on training missions that'll be a solid way to do it and show them in a slightly new light while giving us more of that generation.

Meanwhile, this issue was okay. I like the mystery and the angle still, though nothing particularly jaw-dropping really took place and I was more interested in what's going on with Billy than anything else - a POV that we don't really get to see because our vantage point is the new kids and Billy being a classic hero and doing his powers investigation with the adult OG Titans keeps it from dominating the focus here - that said, it's not actually all that common to get stories featuring Billy hanging out with like ... Beast Boy and Raven ... it's one of those sort of "about time!" angles, so having it set within a story where it's not the central focus (yet ... I think it seems clear it'll come to the fore) is a little underwhelming.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by SteelisLean View Post
    I appreciate their efforts, but these Brat Pack kids suck at being detectives.

We need more of the Titans and less of their students. The DC Universe is full of so many interesting young adult superheroes and this is what they're choosing to focus on? A series where none of the existing young heroes are actively being used and instead we're focusing entirely on a cast of whole new characters specifically devoted to Batman in a Titans book.
    I would enjoy it more if the actual Titans weren't background characters.

Also, whats up with the Nightwing slander in this issue? I get that Chupacabra wants to be like Batman, but you are not doing a good job selling this new characters if you keep belittling the older ones.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nș8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.