Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default Should any of X-Films be rated PG?

The more I watch Disney's take on Marvel material, like the new television shows on Disney+, the more concerned I am that when it comes to the X-Men, they will pander more to children and families than to adults.

I'm not sure ANY of the X-Men related films and shows should go the "PG" route, but never say "never". The source material tends to be much darker than that, and so is the subject matter.

One of my favorites, Excalibur from the 1980's, was very light-hearted and could fit the Disney mold, however it'd be surprising if the MCU ever got around to adapting that book.

Don't get me wrong - one grim scene after another in which sullen characters philosophize about their place in world would be just as bad as an Avengers ripoff. There should be some Avengers-type levity and I'd like to see the X-Men have some fun now and then and enjoy their powers.

It's likely the franchise will have to sacrifice some of that $ to maintain an edge, meaning leaner productions. I'd be fine with that if a quality product is what results.

Deadpool 3 will be R-Rated. The other movies will most likely be PG. It's a winning formula for Disney, they are unlikely to change it at this point.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by thechronic92 View Post
    Deadpool 3 will be R-Rated. The other movies will most likely be PG. It's a winning formula for Disney, they are unlikely to change it at this point.
    Disagree. Most X-movies will probably end up being PG-13.

I do think it'd be dumb to make every movie "edgy". Only certain franchises can pull up "edgy" ala Deadpool, Wolverine and XForce. So there's definitely room/financial potential for PG movies. Maybe with their younger funner characters?

There really isn’t that much in the books that couldn’t be done in a PG rating. For most of Claremont’s run the X-Men were not killers, and it’s not like it ever revelled in showing gore. Sky sex would be out of the question though.

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

The bar to hit PG13 is low enough that it'd be pretty much impossible for it to happen unless they actively made a movie with no action at all

I think they should worry about doing the film justice more than targeting a specific rating.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by thechronic92 View Post
    Really hope they bring Cable and Domino back for DP3 too.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grimsmack View Post
    The more I watch Disney's take on Marvel material, like the new television shows on Disney+, the more concerned I am that when it comes to the X-Men, they will pander more to children and families than to adults.

I'm not sure ANY of the X-Men related films and shows should go the "PG" route, but never say "never". The source material tends to be much darker than that, and so is the subject matter.

One of my favorites, Excalibur from the 1980's, was very light-hearted and could fit the Disney mold, however it'd be surprising if the MCU ever got around to adapting that book.

Don't get me wrong - one grim scene after another in which sullen characters philosophize about their place in world would be just as bad as an Avengers ripoff. There should be some Avengers-type levity and I'd like to see the X-Men have some fun now and then and enjoy their powers.

It's likely the franchise will have to sacrifice some of that $ to maintain an edge, meaning leaner productions. I'd be fine with that if a quality product is what results.
    I think you can definitely have some X-titles be PG.

I think you can do stories about acceptance and growing up awkward in high school through the eyes of mutantdom be impactful, cool, and geared to younger audiences.

However, unfortunately when the current movie going audience thinks of X-Men they think of foul mouthed Deadpool or grim dark Logan

Mighty Member

You can have some of them be rated PG and it be perfectly fine. Some movies like X-Force I think would be better suited with a more relaxed approach.

It kind of reminds me a few months ago when someone said you could have a carnage movie be rated PG-13. Yeah you can, but unless you got a strong script, it's gonna suck and no one will remember it. Making it hyper violent is at least... Fun within this context.

Excalibur however, yeah, that can be rated PG just fine.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

I think close to what they were doing in the MCU though is PG-13. But something like XForce should be presented as R like Deadpool.
    Last edited by From The Shadows; 06-22-2021 at 05:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimsmack View Post

So can you go into more details of what you think it being missed by not going R?
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Wolverine, X-Force and Deadpool need to be R. Everything else will do just fine with PG-13.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

I don't see how PG-13 is a problem when literally all but 3 are PG-13, and we already know Deadpool 3 is going to stay R.

MCU films already feel like they’re PG in a lot of ways. It’s a franchise made primarily for families, which I don’t see as a bad thing, superheroes are for kids after all
    Last edited by Dipter; 06-22-2021 at 08:04 PM.

I think the story and character should dictate....some stuff will be lighter in tone and some heavier I have no doubt disney will do the former I hope that when necessary they will do justice to the stuff that is not quite so fluffy or is a bit more oriented towards a older audience(Logan and Deadpool showed there is an audience for that also) x-men I think is something that branches out everywhere more then most other franchises....you have everything from the X-Babies and The Original Teenage X-Men to the Mutant Massacre and X-Force Sex and Violence and everything in between.