Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    So can you go into more details of what you think it being missed by not going R?
    Sure - I think some sex (nothing graphic, per se), swearing, and some bloody violence would be appropriate for the franchise.

Did you know Disney will not even depict smoking in their films? Better cool it with that stogie, Logan.

To me, there's something lost when producers sanitize some fight scenes, for instance. A brutal confrontation can be appropriate. The MCU gets around a lot of this by fighting a bunch of robots or CGI aliens or in heavy shadow.

I appreciated that in Logan, his claws actually drew a lot of blood and he could also absorb so much punishment. It's just part of his fighting style, and he often doesn't hold back knowing that he could survive being disemboweled or sustaining 3rd degree burns.

Storm's lighting bolts would fry many foes; a punch from Colossus would pulverize flesh; Psylocke's psi-blade would cause violent convulsions; a fight with Iceman should lead to nasty frostbite. It'd be great seeing a knockdown, drag out fight between flesh and blood characters and include the obscenities that go along with it. Amongst the violence, soldiers swear, right? The makers of Predator, Aliens and Die Hard realized this.

Some X-Men are overtly sexual or sensual. Characters like Emma Frost, Gambit, Wolverine, and Mystique are adults that have sex - they have no problem going downtown. How can all these athletic, hard-bodied individuals not be attracted to one another? Can there not be some sensual scenes like in other adult dramas such as Titanic, Fatal Attraction, Kill Bill, or Body Heat? The Marvel films definitely shy away from this material, and that's appropriate for the Avengers or Spider-Man. Not so much for the X-Men.

Topics such a genocide and bigotry and war are often better depicted in with an "R" rating, especially considering the other heavy topics that such films likely be dealing with. I can't imagine a film like Saving Private Ryan or Schindler's List or The Color Purple being getting revised for a more sanitized rating, for instance. Even though the X-Men wouldn't be as "heavy" as those films, they wade into that material from time to time.

The X-Men should generally skew a little older than The Avengers and actively avoiding some of the content above would probably earn them scorn with fans and critics alike. It would just ring false.

I'm not with making things edgy for the sake of being edgy that would ring totally hollow....however I'm also not with sanitizing things either because then your not really getting in truth what you liked in the first place just some heavily watered down subpar substitute its a balance..... on another note I didn't even think of the no smoking thing personally I didn't feel that ban was necessary but I get why they did it what I don't like is in the comics going back and changing older comics to reflect that change I don't respect that at all...I kinda miss when Wolverine, Gambit, Kingpin, and JJJ along with a few others did on occasion.

No. These movies should be at least pg13. Their scope should also be drastically different from all of Fox's versions - meaning: the story shouldn't be Logan, Xavier and Magneto centric. They should be true ensemble with no clear lead.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

We've had decades worth of comics not going into "R" territory and another decade of MCU and Fox X-Men movies mostly with a PG13 rating - I think we should be fine.

Mighty Member

Here's how I see it:

R-rating: Wolverine, Deadpool, XFORCE

PG13-rating: Main XMEN franchise, Excalibur, New Mutants, Storm

PG: New X-Men seems like the most ideal choice. Generation X maybe? Jubilee could be a great PG lead character. Into the SpiderVerse was PG but that was a cartoon. A solo movies about a quirky younger mutant like Pixie could work too. X-Babies? lol

Astonishing Member

For me personally Marvel film to this very point have been specifically geared to be kid friendly, funny and so I feel with X-Men there is an opportunity to get darker and edgier if you will.Otherwise at no point will there be something new to pique interest.It will be the same old safe and predictable stuff.I'd rather they raise the stakes or rating of the X-Men films to switch it up.Like it doesn't have to be blood and gore all over the film, but it can have a little here and there to not completely be milquetoast , the perfect middle ground for me would be X-Men First Class, I don't know about US ratings but a British rating of 15 would suffice.

BANNED

Disney can only make pg 13 films and not even pg 13 films like First Class and DOFP which are what you call.... the high end PG 13 that could easily go R.

However on a regular day, X-MEN films like the Batman films can and should have been both PG and R depending on the story and what the director and writers personally want.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Disney can only make pg 13 films and not even pg 13 films like First Class and DOFP which are what you call.... the high end PG 13 that could easily go R.

However on a regular day, X-MEN films like the Batman films can and should have been both PG and R depending on the story and what the director and writers personally want.
    Yeah agree, it depends on the story.For example if the X-Men villain is Selene ,then horror elements would need to be incorporated with Selene's black magic or psychic vampirism feeding into the lore. An X-Force movie by default should have an R-rating for me, because these are elite, militarised X-Men ready for a bloodbath, I can't stomach a PG x-force personally.First Class and DoFP seriousness and Kingsman style action are those that float my boat.
    Last edited by Rev9; 06-23-2021 at 10:09 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Grimsmack View Post
    The more I watch Disney's take on Marvel material, like the new television shows on Disney+, the more concerned I am that when it comes to the X-Men, they will pander more to children and families than to adults.

I'm not sure ANY of the X-Men related films and shows should go the "PG" route, but never say "never". The source material tends to be much darker than that, and so is the subject matter.

One of my favorites, Excalibur from the 1980's, was very light-hearted and could fit the Disney mold, however it'd be surprising if the MCU ever got around to adapting that book.

Don't get me wrong - one grim scene after another in which sullen characters philosophize about their place in world would be just as bad as an Avengers ripoff. There should be some Avengers-type levity and I'd like to see the X-Men have some fun now and then and enjoy their powers.

It's likely the franchise will have to sacrifice some of that $ to maintain an edge, meaning leaner productions. I'd be fine with that if a quality product is what results.

I am not watching Loki, just following fan discussions. I did not watch Falcon and Winter Solider either, I only saw Wandavision but none of these shows should come as a surprise that they pander to children and ''families'' above anything. I think it is safe to say MCU XMEN will follow part.

As I said Wandavision was the only Disney plus I watched and I was not mostly disappointed with what I got as I went to the show knowing what I was going to get, which was a watered down disney's children accessible version of another xmen show like FX Legion. I did not even watch Gifted, but I am sure even Gifted would have packed much punch than the disney plus shows in content because it was on Fox like Gotham.

Honestly maybe people easily fall FOR the hype of the MCU Disney plus shows but I don't understand how people always keep acting surprise that this Disney plus series are very child friendly or even generic in story telling, which is what most fans said about Falcon and Winter Solider.

I feel comic fans should be more informed of the expectancy of when a show is on Disney plus, HBO Max, Netflix, ABC or the CW network.

On a strong technicality Once any X-MEN show goes on disney plus and not Hulu or Netflix, that should atomically tell you that the show is going to be very kid friendly the same way as DC shows going on the CW and not HBO Max, that should tell you the show will likely fall off fast even if it has a strong season 1, which is why I am not bothering watching Superman and Lois.

However I do understand that because X-MEN is know for their edgier stories that even the 90s X-MEN TAS cartoon could not dumb down, some still get hopeful that it always will be there in the future despite when Disney has made it clear several times they want comic stories to pander mostly to children above anything.
    Last edited by Castle; 06-23-2021 at 08:38 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    Wolverine, X-Force and Deadpool need to be R. Everything else will do just fine with PG-13.
    WOLVERINE R-RATED MOVIE DEBUT! Release Date & Marvel Phase 5 Explained

Incredible Member

When studios make R rated comic movies they end up with nihilistic edgy cgi shitshows like the suicide squad, there is no maturity just because is R rated, more often is the contrary.
    Last edited by Milici; 09-21-2021 at 05:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Milici View Post
    When studios make R rated comic movies they end up with nihilistic edgy cgi shitshows like the suicide squad, there is no maturity just because is R rated, more often is the contrary.
    Definitely agree with the bolded. There are PG movies that are exceptionally emotionally resonant and R-rated movies with very little depths. I think pretty much every X-property would fall in the PG-13 range, but rating won't define the quality or depth of the film.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Milici View Post
    I feel the complete opposite for Logan, even through it's partly based on a Mark Millar comic (the King of nihilism), I feel that Movie was much more about Hope than anything. In the end there are a new group of Mutants who are able to pass on Xavier's legacy. Okay, well Wolverine's version of Xavier's legacy, but still.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

PG -13. No lower. But that is probably the perfect number for me where you can still show sexuality and violence just not explicit. Have any of the X-Films outside Deadpool been that anyway?

The real truth is that there’s no money in PG anymore. G and PG-13 make money, but PG, not so much.