Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
So can you go into more details of what you think it being missed by not going R?
Sure - I think some sex (nothing graphic, per se), swearing, and some bloody violence would be appropriate for the franchise.

Did you know Disney will not even depict smoking in their films? Better cool it with that stogie, Logan.

To me, there's something lost when producers sanitize some fight scenes, for instance. A brutal confrontation can be appropriate. The MCU gets around a lot of this by fighting a bunch of robots or CGI aliens or in heavy shadow.

I appreciated that in Logan, his claws actually drew a lot of blood and he could also absorb so much punishment. It's just part of his fighting style, and he often doesn't hold back knowing that he could survive being disemboweled or sustaining 3rd degree burns.

Storm's lighting bolts would fry many foes; a punch from Colossus would pulverize flesh; Psylocke's psi-blade would cause violent convulsions; a fight with Iceman should lead to nasty frostbite. It'd be great seeing a knockdown, drag out fight between flesh and blood characters and include the obscenities that go along with it. Amongst the violence, soldiers swear, right? The makers of Predator, Aliens and Die Hard realized this.

Some X-Men are overtly sexual or sensual. Characters like Emma Frost, Gambit, Wolverine, and Mystique are adults that have sex - they have no problem going downtown. How can all these athletic, hard-bodied individuals not be attracted to one another? Can there not be some sensual scenes like in other adult dramas such as Titanic, Fatal Attraction, Kill Bill, or Body Heat? The Marvel films definitely shy away from this material, and that's appropriate for the Avengers or Spider-Man. Not so much for the X-Men.

Topics such a genocide and bigotry and war are often better depicted in with an "R" rating, especially considering the other heavy topics that such films likely be dealing with. I can't imagine a film like Saving Private Ryan or Schindler's List or The Color Purple being getting revised for a more sanitized rating, for instance. Even though the X-Men wouldn't be as "heavy" as those films, they wade into that material from time to time.

The X-Men should generally skew a little older than The Avengers and actively avoiding some of the content above would probably earn them scorn with fans and critics alike. It would just ring false.