Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

http://www.comicbookresources.com/ar...ds-deathstroke

Joe Manganiello is apparently the front runner to play Deathstroke in the Suicide Squad movie.

Anyone here still reading Tony Daniel's "Deathstroke" series? I gotta say, I've been pretty underwhelmed by the current "God-Slayer" arc. I've also decided that after this arc is over that I'm going to drop this title, and unless DC gets a new writer for the series, I probably wont pick it up in the future. I've read previews for the next arc, and apparently Slade is after Amanda Waller and will fight the Suicide Squad, not only that, but he is also going to fight Catwoman at some point, and I don't like the sound of that. It just seems to me like Tony Daniel is setting these stories up solely to have Slade fight iconic DC characters in every arc rather than to have them organically incorporated into the story. Sure there are variations to why he's fighting these characters, but I'd like to see some original characters introduced, or maybe even a story where Slade can't solve all his problems by killing everything and we get to see more of the master tactician side of Slade, and less of the "baddass killing machine". Also, I'm calling it now, after the next arc, Deathstroke is going to team up with Green Arrow. I also want to apologize for complaining so much, I just don't like the direction the series is taking and want it to be better.

On a more positive note, DC is republishing more of Marv Wolfman's 90's series, and I'm looking forward to more of that since I never collected the entire series.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke the Terminator View Post
    Anyone here still reading Tony Daniel's "Deathstroke" series? I gotta say, I've been pretty underwhelmed by the current "God-Slayer" arc. I've also decided that after this arc is over that I'm going to drop this title, and unless DC gets a new writer for the series, I probably wont pick it up in the future. I've read previews for the next arc, and apparently Slade is after Amanda Waller and will fight the Suicide Squad, not only that, but he is also going to fight Catwoman at some point, and I don't like the sound of that. It just seems to me like Tony Daniel is setting these stories up solely to have Slade fight iconic DC characters in every arc rather than to have them organically incorporated into the story. Sure there are variations to why he's fighting these characters, but I'd like to see some original characters introduced, or maybe even a story where Slade can't solve all his problems by killing everything and we get to see more of the master tactician side of Slade, and less of the "baddass killing machine". Also, I'm calling it now, after the next arc, Deathstroke is going to team up with Green Arrow. I also want to apologize for complaining so much, I just don't like the direction the series is taking and want it to be better.

On a more positive note, DC is republishing more of Marv Wolfman's 90's series, and I'm looking forward to more of that since I never collected the entire series.
    I liked the art but hated the writing so like you are thinking of doing I dropped it a while back. I am not sure how it is selling but I like the idea of the character and will wait to see what a new writer can do with it.
    My Monthly Pulls - DC: Waiting for Deathstroke and Vigilante. Marvel: Moon Knight. The Vision, Waiting for Solo. Valiant: Bloodshot Reborn, Ninjak, Divinity III Stalinverse, Bloodshot USA event, Waiting for PSI Lords. Why aren't you reading Valiant and other Indies too?

Z_Rigel

Hey, guys.
    I'm rather newbie to comics at all, so I wanted to ask some help.
    One of my favorite character is Deathstroke (have read about him in some Crisis, Blackest Night for example, then get interested and found issues "Gods of War", then even watched cartoon Teen Titans, but, ugh, there he is very different and abridged) and I'm eager to find more. And I'm really confused -- can't find a proper reading order. Can you give some advice, how to learn about Slade more?
    Saw this page, found out it belongs to "Deconstructing Batman and Robin: The Grayson Foils, Part 3". Where else Deathstroke appears?
    Batman-And-Robin-12-deathstroke-656x1024.jpg
    By the way, is creating a new thread for this question needed?
    P.s. What about other characters -- is there any guides how to learn only about one of them?
    Last edited by Z_Rigel; 04-28-2016 at 11:20 AM.

For those interested in the Rebirth book:

ChristopherPriest.com/Deathstroke
    Last edited by DigiCom; 07-05-2016 at 05:47 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Beware Of Geek View Post

Sounds pretty good to me.

Lost humanity sounds good to me and that bit of art is not bad either.

Quote Originally Posted by Beware Of Geek View Post

Credit where credit was due...while I was already going to check it out for Priest, he does a great job of detailing what we can expect from the title and getting you really interested in it. The effects on the website are also pretty neat.

It's always fascinating reading his thought process going into a title and character, and the level of detail as well, and I love what I'm hearing about his take on Slade .

I can't wait to see Slade and Rose take on Batman and Robin, especially given Priest's thoughts on Damian.

It also sounds like Judas Contract and Deathstroke's enmity with the Titans (and Nightwing) are going to be restored with Rebirth. I'm really looking forward to that Titans/Deathstroke arc .

Extraordinary Member

That was slick.

And apparently Rose was trained by Nightwing again.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    That was slick.

And apparently Rose was trained by Nightwing again.
    For the time being, till I've had a chance to read it, I am going to put thoughts like that on hold, since I can't see how Deathstroke's, and his family's, past with the Titans can be fitted into the New 52 world.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    For the time being, till I've had a chance to read it, I am going to put thoughts like that on hold, since I can't see how Deathstroke's, and his family's, past with the Titans can be fitted into the New 52 world.

I think what matters is the intent, if he plans on writing Rose with characterization that somehow reinforces her history with Nightwing then that's all that matters, we dont need to be spoonfed the actual events. That's what Priest means when he says Rebirth offers the best of both worlds.
    Man I am thrilled by every single I just read there, Priest just fired on all cylinders , so much good that I dont even know where to start. But I'll narrow it down:

Restoration of Pre-52 continuity
    Rose's history with Nightwing
    Deathstroke as anti-Batman
    Batman and Robin vs Deathstroke and Ravager, YAY, if Priest restores Damian's relationship with Rose or creates a bond or friendship then double YAY
    Character driven arcs
    Deathstroke as strategic mastermind
    No stupid fights like the one the current book is used to giving
    His run down of Slade's armor and equipment was just awesome, dude knows what he is doing.
    Deathstroke as the Anti-Batman... yeah this needs mentioning again, I hope Priest squares him off against Prometheus, Bane and Wrath to really deliver that point.

This was already one of my most anticipated books but now it's my most anticipated book of Rebirth. Now I hope this book does well commercially, it'd be a waste if we get another Midnighter like situation.

After reading the stuff on Priest's site I'm super excited. Left me thinking "this guy gets it". So many of the things he brings up I was just like yes. So ya, super excited.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 07-06-2016 at 10:37 AM.

I like what Priest had to say. I'll be onboard for the first arc at least.
    Last edited by The Odd Man; 07-06-2016 at 11:24 AM.

So I finally decided to pick up some Deathstroke comics after I dropped the series about a year ago, and I have to say, I'm quite content to see how drastically the series has changed since the last time I was reading it. It's gone from family melodrama action hero schlock (which some people may have enjoyed, but I sure didn't) to a more methodical and thoughtful book about an assassin, which I'm sure will still have some good old Wilson family melodrama thrown in.

The first of the two comics I picked up was the second Deathstroke annual from the last ongoing series, and I found it to be pretty good. It was a story about two warring factions hiring two different assassins to use as proxy's to combat each other and ultimately whether Slade's actions made a change for the better or worse in the area. Spoilers: Though I'll be honest, I saw the Fistful of Dollars/Yojimbo twist coming from a mile away. That aside, really good comic.
    The second comic I picked up was Deathstroke: Rebirth by Christopher Priest (now that's a name I've not heard in a long time) which I found to be a strong start to what will hopefully be a great series. I liked that Slade was written more intelligently and ruthless than in the previous run, I found the art to be really good, and I'm glad that they're reintroducing a character from Slade's past who hasn't played a prominent role in over a decade. I'm really exited to see where this series goes.
    Last edited by Deathstroke the Terminator; 08-10-2016 at 08:42 PM.

Mighty Member

I can't wait to read Priest's take on Deathstroke. Slade has always been complex. He is a villain but he is an interesting one if written correctly. He has not been written as a 3 dimensional character in a long time. Priest will bring back that complexity.