Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

So they pretty much deaged him and changed his hair color to have him look more like the Arrow Deathstroke? I'm sort of surprised more people aren't talking about the change.

It seems like a universally hated idea. I really hope they change him back asap.

The title is pretty up and down
    and deathstroke is in costume more often then not.
    My main gripe is how its ignoring the continuity of jericho being dead

So what everyone thought of the new issue?

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    So what everyone thought of the new issue?
    I thought it was pretty weak. The first two issues were solid, but this one felt like Daniel fell back into old sins with too many meaningless characters and an unclear plot. The dialogue felt off as well, with a lot of strange repetition killing off any flow.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    The title is pretty up and down
    and deathstroke is in costume more often then not.
    My main gripe is how its ignoring the continuity of jericho being dead
    It also ignored the continuity with his dad established in the first New 52 Deathstroke series. He was shown visiting his dad in I think #8 showing him articles about how badass he is, and then in this issue its said he hasn't seen his dad in 20 years or something. Overall, the writing is pretty weak but I really like Daniel's art.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewFiftyForum View Post
    I thought it was pretty weak. The first two issues were solid, but this one felt like Daniel fell back into old sins with too many meaningless characters and an unclear plot. The dialogue felt off as well, with a lot of strange repetition killing off any flow.
    This. I love Tony Daniel's art, and I kinda enjoyed the last couple of issues. Don't mind dumb fun in a while, but this one was just dumb. I still don't care for Slade's de-aging or Daniel's new characters like the Red Fury or whatever his name is. Or any of his family plots. And I'm not looking forward to seeing Harley Quinn being shoehorned in here. So yeah, I think I'm out.

Really wish they'd get a new writer. Daniels' art is amazing but he's just an average writer. with a decent writer this book could be so damn good. Seems like a wasted opportunity for Deathstroke to truely take off as a solo act.

All-New Member

The art is fabulous, but the story is lacking. Interested to see what Harley Quinn will bring with her appearance next month tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Constantine View Post
    The art is fabulous, but the story is lacking. Interested to see what Harley Quinn will bring with her appearance next month tho.
    They should have Daniels redesign more character's costumes. I love his Deathstroke costume and Harley is looking great as well. He saved them both from their terrible New 52 designs.
    I have a feeling the de-aging was editorially mandated to make Slade look more like Manu Bennett. I reeeeally hope that is temporary. It's incredibly stupid.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    They should have Daniels redesign more character's costumes. I love his Deathstroke costume and Harley is looking great as well. He saved them both from their terrible New 52 designs.
    I have a feeling the de-aging was editorially mandated to make Slade look more like Manu Bennett. I reeeeally hope that is temporary. It's incredibly stupid.
    I can understand why there would be backlash to the change, but Manu Bennet isn't hard to look at and neither is Slade's new design.

I find Harley's Suicide Squad character design more appealing than her solo book.

R.I.P Deathstroke!

Goodbye Deathstroke.jpg
    Last edited by Jaekro; 01-02-2015 at 01:45 AM.

I'm really enjoying the new book
    "At my core I was never a hero, I was a hunter"

On the one hand, I find the idea of Odysseus being Slade's kind of intriguing and being this figure that Wilson hates. On the other, feels kind of crazy having this new backstory and superhuman father... mind you, Slade's got himself a superhuman son also. This does make it an interesting family dynamic and I always felt that Slade being this kind of anti-Batman would be nice to see more. Bruce having this perfect relationship with his parents who are dead whilst Slade has a more antagonistic one with a father who cannot die. Bruce has this son who he loves and is loved in kind by him whilst Slade has a son who wants to kill him. Bruce has Alfred, Slade had Wintergreen etc etc. Some interesting and cool parallels in my mind there that could be explored more.

But anyway, this series seems to be wanting to ignore all previous continuity with Deathstroke. Primarily, his previous book and Team 7. Might not be such a bad thing an he's hardly the first character who had adventures in the New 52 that got erased. Shouldn't happen especially since the New 52 was meant to create smooth continuity but we have had a lot of stuff that got brushed aside... some of it rightly so but if the stuff was that bad then it shouldn't have been OKed by editorial in the first place.

Like a lot of other people who have commented on this thread, my thoughts on the new Deathstroke series are mixed at best. While the art is fantastic, and I do like that they aren't using Slade's other New 52 costume (for now), the story so far (3 issues in) has been pretty weak. I hope that the story picks up in the second half of this arc otherwise this series has a good chance of cancellation. I've read that Tony Daniel has already started writing the next arc in which apparently Slade fights the Teen Titans, and if the writing still hasn't improved by that point, then maybe it's time for DC to find a new writer

I'm also a little upset that they're making "deaged Slade" look like Manu Bennett since the character has always looked different when young (the biggest change being his hair color changing from blond to black). But maybe Slade isn't even in his own body so that might explain why he looks different.

On an entirely different topic, I'm exited to see Pre-New 52 Deathstroke in The Atom's Convergence series where apparently He, Ray Palmer, and Ryan Choi (who is somehow alive) fight The Extremists (DC's version of various Marvel super villains).