Page 25 of 35 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526272829 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member Agatha's Ghost's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dirtynun View Post
    I mean look at it this way and first and foremost it's not true she was pretending she didn't truly know, but the mutants do not know all that jazz only a few like magneto, xavier and the like might know but majority of the population doesn't. They believed her to be a mutant and suddenly it was revealed she wasn't all this while. Couple that with M day and you get a lot of even angrier mutants who saw the greatest loss of their lives as a result of another humans hate but this human used to be a mutant or at least said they were a mutant. The pretender stuff is not an exodus original it hasn't been stated that he coined the term but he is the one saying it in stories and legends to the children but they would even most likely hear it from their parents in the first place.
    The only way Exodus could know is if Rogue had told him. The woman who pretended to befriend Wanda and then went around talking behind her back. Rogue is the true Pretender.

Extraordinary Member

It's not a disservice why? Because mutants are made to be an allegory for the marginalized and oppressed.... I have this wired confusion about the wanda stans most of y'all can't even grasp the sheer scope of what she did. Yes sg was possessed yes it was calculated and planned but in the end the mutants saw her utter those words and decimated them. That was clear as day it was wanda who did it by her power. And even she has been trying to fix it... But y'all are moving heaven and earth to minimize the atrocity she committed. She messed up and if the mutants don't want her around them they are more than in their right to do so. I would rather her not be on the island than to be in the island and be treated like the shadow king, seen as a joke like sinister or kicked around like those Nazi twins. These were aware of their actions she was not. Still doesn't erase that she did it.
    Okay one question.
    How are you comparing mutants to the oppressed and Marginalized?
    The entire point is that people despite of race and gender are just that... people.There is no real difference.
    Mutants are different than humans.Many mutants are walking weapons of mass destruction.How many times has a mutant lost control of her power and messed everyone up.How many times has a mutation manifested killing people.Wanda herself is an example why mutants are dangerous.
    Mutants are just like humans only a lot of them have the power to cause massive destruction.When a person gets angry they may throw a punch, a mutant brings down an entire building.
    When humans loose control the worst case scenario is an accident, like car crash.Some mutants can level entire countries or wipe entire species(Wanda).

On the other hand we have mutants who just want to be cured.In new mutants they address this with Nightmare.Another example is in Astonishing where mutants broke in for the cure, beast had lost entire body to his mutation and was about to loose his mind.
    Also there are cures that leave no side effects.
    Wanda's taking away the x-gene was messed up but wasn't her choice.She didn't do it.Also Jean blew up an entire planet for the love of god and she is still excepted.So is Sinister and the likes.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Based on the ending of the issue...I think Wanda's reasoning why she didn't accept the invitation suggests that the X-Office is ignoring the "being possessed by Doom" retcon. As they've done with other things in recent history that "don't make no sense".
    As with the Jean Grey/DP issue before the retcon, it was supposed to be all her doing even if she was emotionally distraught at the time.

That shitty Marvel Mandate as executed by Bendis (who also made Wanda go crazy and kill the Avengers...so...someone clearly had issues) ushered in a period of bankrupt storytelling in XM history that, while interesting in the beginning went on for too long and rehashed too many times in various extinction/decimation stories.

And then there's the whole FOX/Marvel tv/movie rights debacle that made her Not a Mutant...

I love Wanda so I hope they sort out her status once and for all so we can move past the gross misuse of her character since M-day decimation.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

It's not a disservice why? Because mutants are made to be an allegory for the marginalized and oppressed.... I have this wired confusion about the wanda stans most of y'all can't even grasp the sheer scope of what she did. Yes sg was possessed yes it was calculated and planned but in the end the mutants saw her utter those words and decimated them. That was clear as day it was wanda who did it by her power. And even she has been trying to fix it... But y'all are moving heaven and earth to minimize the atrocity she committed. She messed up and if the mutants don't want her around them they are more than in their right to do so. I would rather her not be on the island than to be in the island and be treated like the shadow king, seen as a joke like sinister or kicked around like those Nazi twins. These were aware of their actions she was not. Still doesn't erase that she did it.
    It’s a gross comparison because what Hitler did and ordered to be done was vastly different.

We’re talking gas chambers. Shooting parents in front of children. Horrible experiments and torture. The list goes on.

If you can’t see how gross of a comparison it is, I really have nothing but sympathy for you.

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

And again: Hitlers plans took years and with the full force of the government. Wanda is one severely mentally ill person, who even believed herself to be a mutant at the time.

And it's not like Magneto was complaining when she was using her reality altering powers to create the House of M world and turned everybody into mutants.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    It´s a cool idea, I like the fact Brand sees herself and SWORD as a Spacer agency who are in charge of defending Sol and she doesn´t see the point of separating humans/mutants because they are earthers to her, this gives her a unique perspective, but she also can be quite pragmatic, she´s like Spacer Nick Fury. After Last Annhiliation is done I guess we will see more of what happens with Earth/Krakoa/SWORD/Arakko situation.
    Exactly! But making it more of an X-Book takes away from that IMO. I liked the idea of a book that just happened to involve mutants as the main characters rather than yet another book about being in service to Krakoa

Incredible Member Agatha's Ghost's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    And again: Hitlers plans took years and with the full force of the government. Wanda is one severely mentally ill person, who even believed herself to be a mutant at the time.

And it's not like Magneto was complaining when she was using her reality altering powers to create the House of M world and turned everybody into mutants.
    He did break Quicksliver’s neck when he found out about that.

It absolutely is. The Holocaust really happened. And to Romani people as well. The anger should be that Marvel had a Romani character commit genocide. Because that's the only part that has any link to real life and impacts a group that actually exists.

A group that were experimented on and killed by Nazis. 80-90% killed in occupied Europe. Who cannot be brought back with a stroke of a pen.

It's very tasteless to compare. Especially if you read the stories of science experiments committed on Romani and Jewish children.

You'd have to be certifiable to compare this to fiction where a character was possessed, depowered people which resulted in some of their deaths. A lot of the characters repowered and back in comics.
    Last edited by GenericUsername; 06-27-2021 at 10:17 AM.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    I love Wanda so I hope they sort out her status once and for all so we can move past the gross misuse of her character since M-day decimation.
    Agreed. I'm ready to move forward.

I personally was never mad at Wanda for what she did but the way she was written in Uncanny Avengers is what annoyed me. That goes to the misuse of her character as you mention because she felt cold and indifferent. "Why was it so important more mutants be born?"

The remorseful Wanda we saw in the Empyre mini felt more accurate.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Spectacular Member

No one is saying that she is evil evil is too strong a word... But some mistakes simply can't be forgiven. Anytime a wanda Stan wants to make a case for wanda's reintroduction into krakoa and mutantdom they go by the fact that apocalypse, sinister, shadow king etc all are there so wanda who is good must also be invited. I don't want to be that person but house of M was the single most destructive event to ever occur to mutantkind, literally none of the villans have ever achieved the level of destruction that wanda did on that day not even Cassandra nova and apocalypse it didn't only affect earth but meshed with the entirety of continuity so much so that Dr strange couldn't reverse or it would be absolute universal chaos. And all of a sudden mutants who suffered should just forgive and forget and allow her in with open arms? Just like that? Hell she is not even a mutant that's the main reason why she is not on krakoa and if she was on krakoa trust me with the way most of them would treat her we would all wish she wasn't. I mean they hate her more than sinister and shadow king so that is saying something.
    Sorry, there's a big difference between depowering millions of mutants and outright murdering them. If we are ranking crimes against mutants, Cassandra Nova comes out slightly ahead of Wanda. Both crimes were heinous, but at least the depowered mutants still lived. This is especially holds true for the countless mutants who viewed their powers as a curse rather than a blessing.

Lmao wait someone actually said Wanda is worse than Nova? Mass depowerings resulting in some (not even a majority) of deaths is not at all the same as tossing millions of people into a wood chipper

Quote Originally Posted by BAS View Post
    Sorry, there's a big difference between depowering millions of mutants and outright murdering them. If we are ranking crimes against mutants, Cassandra Nova comes out slightly ahead of Wanda. Both crimes were heinous, but at least the depowered mutants still lived. This is especially holds true for the countless mutants who viewed their powers as a curse rather than a blessing.
    Incorrect. The loss of their powers caused the lives of mutants like Antonio (witnessed by a horrified Magma), Hydro (drowned because he lost his powers), Ned Ralston (lost his ability to fly in midair), and Jeannie Martin (her extraordinarily long neck snapped and killed her).
    Not to mention the many mutants who were killed by evil humans who took advantage of their lost powers.

That's still not even close to as many as Nova. If we're counting indirect killings how many mutants has Magneto put in danger by making them a target as the result of his atrocities over the years in his war to conquer humanity?

That's still not even close to as many as Nova. If we're counting indirect killings how many mutants has Magneto put in danger by making them a target as the result of his atrocities over the years in his war to conquer humanity?
    I didn't make the Nova comparison, just responding to BAS saying depowered mutants lived. Many didn't.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Incorrect. The loss of their powers caused the lives of mutants like Antonio (witnessed by a horrified Magma), Hydro (drowned because he lost his powers), Ned Ralston (lost his ability to fly in midair), and Jeannie Martin (her extraordinarily long neck snapped and killed her).
    Not to mention the many mutants who were killed by evil humans who took advantage of their lost powers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    I didn't make the Nova comparison, just responding to BAS saying depowered mutants lived. Many didn't.
    dirtynun made the initial comparison, I just expanded on it and disagreed.

You're choosing to equate a handful of on screen deaths as a result of depowering with the mass slaughter of millions at the hands of Cassandra Nova. There is no equating that. And like I said there are countless mutants that likely were thankful of losing their mutant powers, but they go unseen because that's not where the stories led.