Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

I feel that in their revolutionary zeal to reject and/or mock all but those aspects of human society required to keep their foreign policy going, Krakoa seems to have rejected certain social lessons humans mastered in the Bronze Age

But then, Krakoa is rather socially hollow as a community outside the Bower, the green lagoon and (distressingly) Crucible

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    I feel that in their revolutionary zeal to reject and/or mock all but those aspects of human society required to keep their foreign policy going, Krakoa seems to have rejected certain social lessons humans mastered in the Bronze Age

But then, Krakoa is rather socially hollow as a community outside the Bower, the green lagoon and (distressingly) Crucible
    Throughout human history, not all civilizations have had parents raising children. In Sparta, for example, children from a very young age were handed over to the state for them to educate them.

I am not saying it is right, I am saying that we simply cannot assume that what we consider "normal" has been normal in the history of humanity.

In a society as collectivist as Krakoa, it is not impossible that a community model of raising children will end up being imposed.
    Last edited by Glio; 06-23-2021 at 01:09 PM.

Astonishing Member

I more meant the absence of any system.

Incredible Member Lady Midnight's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    You would think the mutants who were rejected by their families and society would be the last people to abandon their kids.
    I would think that a mutant birth would be celebrated on Krakoa, and the baby wouldn't be hidden away i a creche.
    My flag is bacon.

I more meant the absence of any system.
    Well, the Council was not even aware of the existence of that riding sex place/nursery. They cannot legislate on what they do not know (and that is the point of this comic).

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    Throughout human history, not all civilizations have had parents raising children. In Sparta, for example, children from a very young age were handed over to the state for them to educate them.
    You do realize that proves his point about Krakoa being archaic.

Astonishing Member

Well, the Council was not even aware of the existence of that riding sex place/nursery. They cannot legislate on what they do not know (and that is the point of this comic).
    That the Council made no thought for the provision of any system of social services while confidently plotting how to launch an socio-economic/financial/political takeover of the world is not a point in their favor

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Su_Whisterfield View Post
    I’m just not sure I recognise Way of X’s Kurt in comparison to the sexy Kurt we’re used to.

Attachment 110839
    This is my Kurt.
    Yum, Davis Nightcrawler is peak Nightcrawler. And it further proves the point that Kurt isn’t against some casual Nookie now and then.

Yes, exactly all of this. His character felt off in issue 3, and it’s why I’m hoping this is all leading to something that pays-off.
    Outside of the first issue, Kurt has appeared to have been steamrolled by the scenery chewing characters around him. And especially this issue, outside of his drunken Gala hijinks and his few out of character remarks, he spent this issue being lectured by Stacy X (a needed lecture, though). Since people are saying this series is a mini, I’d like to see a return to pre-Krakoa Kurt before it’s done, at least somewhat. I miss sexy, confident, outgoing yet open minded and compassionate Kurt.

That the Council made no thought for the provision of any system of social services while confidently plotting how to launch an socio-economic/financial/political takeover of the world is not a point in their favor
    That's exactly what Stacy X said, yeah. The Council spends too much time on foreign policy and too little on domestic policy.

Astonishing Member

That's exactly what Stacy X said, yeah. The Council spends too much time on foreign policy and too little on domestic policy.
    It can really feel like the entire plan for handling building the mutant society is basicly half a page reading this.

Step 1: Convince magic mutant island to produce everything you need.
    Step 2: Create mass cloning facility so nobody stays dead.
    Step 3: Shout "Mutant!" a lot.
    Step 4: Invite everyone to the island, even the villains.
    Step 5: Declare yourself superior to the rest of humanity 24/7.
    Step 6: ???
    Step 7: Perfect society!

Which raises the question just how little this was a concern to any of Moira's implied previous attempts at building a mutant safe haven or mutant ruled world and how much it might have been the mutants themself who caused their demise rather than the "evil humans"?

The whole chimera project and especialy the fate mentioned for the 4th gens certainly make it a possibility that the biggest weakness was the foundation rather than the walls which cracked first.

There is also the example of Arrako which seems to have worked for so long primarily because it's a Starship Troopers like society focused on a constant extreme situation (war), with every member of society focused on their role in said situation, therefor having no need for any form of expression and the unlimited resources and (until recently) enemy to maintain this state.
    But without war how long can that society last before it starts to show the same cracks as Krakoa?
    Last edited by Grunty; 06-23-2021 at 02:57 PM.

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    It can really feel like the entire plan for handling building the mutant society is basicly half a page reading this.

Step 1: Convice magic mutant island to produce everything you need.
    Step 2: Create mass cloning facility so nobody stays dead.
    Step 3: Shout "Mutant!" a lot.
    Step 4: Invite everyone to the island, even the villains.
    Step 5: Declare yourself superior to the rest of humanity 24/7.
    Step 6: ???
    Step 7: Perfect society!

Which raises the question just how little this was a concern to any of Moira's implied previous attempts at building a mutant safe haven or mutant ruled world and how much it might have been the mutants themself who caused their demise rather than the "evil humans"?

The whole chimera project and especialy the fate mentioned for the 4th gens certainly make it a possibility that the biggest weakness was the foundation rather than the walls which cracked first.

There is also the example of Arrako which seems to have worked for so long primarily because it's a Starship Troopers like society focused on a constant extreme situation (war), with every member of society focused on their role in said situation, therefor having no need for any form of expression and the unlimited resources and (until recently) enemy to maintain this state.
    But without war how long can that society last before it starts to show the same cracks as Krakoa?

Brilliantly summed up! This absolutely nails it. Can I quote you on Tumblr?

(it takes a lot to rile Kurt fans, but saying he doesn’t like nookie will do it)

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Midnight View Post
    I would think that a mutant birth would be celebrated on Krakoa, and the baby wouldn't be hidden away i a creche.
    I could also see someone dumping the baby off and feeling they did nothing wrong. They law is to make more mutants not take care of them. I could easily see young mutants based on that law tihnking it's a duty to pop out at least one kid and then you can live your life to the fullest and be free. What did stand out to me though is it seems they are going with if a mutant and mutant have a kid their powers manifest sometime after or during birth looking around that room. That was interesting and will make the potential human birth's really stand out now.
    Last edited by jwatson; 06-23-2021 at 02:24 PM.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

There are mutants with very weird reproductive cycles. Angel in New X-Men was barely a week or less pregnant before giving birth.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    You would think the mutants who were rejected by their families and society would be the last people to abandon their kids.
    It's different when you can't die, you don't have to work for money, food and medicines are plentiful, etc.

Not saying it's right, but I can see how these young couples would feel like "no responsibility" is a part of being in paradise. If Way of X gets a long run, that's one of the things Kurt will probably have to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by Su_Whisterfield View Post
    I’m just not sure I recognise Way of X’s Kurt in comparison to the sexy Kurt we’re used to.

Attachment 110839
    This is my Kurt.
    Again, along the same lines as above, the situation is different here on Krakoa. In normal circumstances, Kurt doesn't mind sex, I'm sure. But, here on Krakoa, Kurt is sensing that people are broken and spiritually lacking (all made worse by the presence of Onslaught), and he doesn't believe Stacy's solution is the right way to combat that. He might be wrong about that, and that's a conversation that can be had, but I can see why he would act differently than in the panels you posted given different circumstances and Onslaught's machinations. Sex is great but probably can't solve what ails Krakoa.

Incredible Member

To make my point perfectly clear, we have to remember that this isn't the normal process of sex here. The Bower is serving depressed mutants, and what's happening is Stacy is using her pheromone powers to nudge the depressed mutants into intimacy. That's what Kurt is against, and it doesn't make him a hypocrite, imo, because the entire process is different from the fun, casual sex he's had in the past.