Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    But most mutants don't decide their costumes, Jumbo Carnation designs them.
    Allright missed that part. Thought they ordered their outfits.

This sounds much dumber on their part to me. But ends the subject on Pixies choice of outfit.

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    Allright missed that part. Thought they ordered their outfits.

This sounds much dumber on their part to me. But ends the subject on Pixies choice of outfit.
    Actually, it's how it normally works at the Met Gala. Famous people hire a designer, give a few hints of what they want and then dress in whatever the designer has prepared for them.

I agree with the general thought that the issue was well-written and looked great, but, wow that was...unpleasant. Poor Cessily.
    Cess nice things.jpg
    The dark thoughts she had about her parents and mutation in general but weren't big shocks. Her parents hid her from the world until they could ship her off to Xavier's so no one would know their daughter was a mutant; and Mercury's powers make her question her humanity since she doesn't need to eat or breath to live, along with other questions about her physiology. The magnifying glass one threw me off a bit. :/

I really liked Stacy X though. She was fun!

edit: And Loa's night. Wowzers. Gets a drink spilled on her by Nightcrawler, can't control her powers due to excitement, and then comes being bait for Onslaught. That was not a successful evening. I hope they both get to address this.
    Last edited by Paragon; 06-23-2021 at 10:16 AM.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

The drunk Kurt scenes were great, loved the idea of strengthening the communal bonds but preserving independence, i think it makes a lot of sense that Kurt and Legion were used to realize those necessities. Shame that Onslaught corrupted what could have been a meaningful connection between Loa and Mercury, although as Pixie pointed out that level of intimacy may not have been the right method at the right time. The abandoned babies thing is a bit much, but an effective way to highlight why interpreting "Make More Mutants" literally is a bad idea, and it's a problem that exists in every society. That said the QC should probably prioritize the formation of an adoption or foster care system. Quinn's art really clicked for me here in a way the previous issues didn't.

Astonishing Member

Actually, it's how it normally works at the Met Gala. Famous people hire a designer, give a few hints of what they want and then dress in whatever the designer has prepared for them.
    I have to admit, i had never heared of the whole Met Gala thing until people kept bringing it up for the Hellfire Gala outfit drama (and came to the conclusion that i didn't miss much), but even then my understanding is that these are usualy competitions between various designers on who can make the more stand out outfit in order to prep up their profile.

Just like how traditional red carpet events are about the stars getting elegant outfits and jewlery borrowed to them by influental or upcomming fashion artist or companies which they can then casualy mention when interviewed or which the designer or company can display on their websites as "hey we made that!".

Which also means that when a star is agreeing to be outfited by someone they usualy have a sense of what will be made or given to them, or can judge what the designers will consider for them.

Here however it's a singular persons, who's major claim to fame was od-ing 20 years ago and being a mutant, who has no visible consistent style, trademark or seemingly follows any kind of trend, leading to an array of outfits mostly fitting into the categories of laughable to unimpressively weird with a few stand out ones in between.

So everyone blindly trusts a single guy to give them something to make them look good or bringing up awkward past traumas, putting all their eggs in one basket? That sounds dumb to me, from a character standpoint

Now of course the reason for the wild difference in quality of designs is because multiple people designed these outfits in the real world (not everyone skilled in high fashion), ironicaly making it fit the real deal that way and all the characters were forced to think the outfits were the best thing ever, but that doesn't change that the way the story presents the creation of the outfits feels quite flawed.
    In part because the writers seemingly don't want to harm the presentation of "mutant unity" by introducing an actual competition between mutant fashion designers, despite the whole damn marketing for the event being seemingly centered around immitating a real life fashion gala.

Marvel wanted to promote this whole thing with it's fashion, despite that being far from what interests me in X-men comics, fine, but to me that also means i can critique the presentation of that from a narrative perspective the same way i would do for characters and story beats.
    Last edited by Grunty; 06-23-2021 at 10:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    Kurt's situation starts to make him look like a fusion of Ijob and Atlas.

I don't think Stacy is supposed to be completely right, but merely presented as a person who identified a problem and tries to adress it in her own, well meaning, but not entirely right ways. Which i think is the major focus of the story so far, not to present a resolution right away but adress that problems exist, regardless of how much people want to ignore them or believe everything to be fine, which need to be adressed.

And that's a hard pill to swallow for everyone who bought into the hype, especialy those who were willing to die for it's creation. Also just because she dresses down Kurt, doesn't mean the writer wants her to be seen as entirely right. Which includes mocking his religion.

About the writer's previous writing.
    Spurrier's books are often about fantastic yet very flawed constructed worlds filled with equaly flawed people and how they find their ways in them. Though the worlds often have a certain darkness to them they don't tend to be entirely depressing so (can't say anything about his work on Crossed though as i avoid that whole series like hell).

God Shaper, The Spire, Cry Havoc, Motherland. They all introduce fantastic worlds, but are ultimately about how people just live in them.

So this whole title feels quite fitting to that. All the bio-tech, mutant powers and feeling of superiority won't help the people of Krakoa dealing with their absolute flawed human nature, especialy when they try to disregard it under the argument of not being "human".

Or potential side effect of getting brought back while the Patchwork Man/Onslaught is active and judging by the upcomming one-shot affecting Xavier who is turn putting the minds/souls back into the new clone bodies.

So perhaps it's the result of her supconsciously knowing something is off.
    I agree that Stacy’s not being portrayed as completely in the right, and I really do think she has the best intentions. Maybe I’m not used to how Spurrier writes, but everyone sounds like they’re in the right and Kurt’s wrong because he questions whatever it is they’re doing.

I mean, Kurt is the only one who's not sure about things and asks questions. That makes it from my point of view the most sensible.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Paragon View Post
    I agree with the general thought that the issue was well-written and looked great, but, wow that was...unpleasant. Poor Cessily.
    Cess nice things.jpg
    The dark thoughts she had about her parents and mutation in general but weren't big shocks. Her parents hid her from the world until they could ship her off to Xavier's so no one would know their daughter was a mutant; and Mercury's powers make her question her humanity since she doesn't need to eat or breath to live, along with other questions about her physiology. The magnifying glass one threw me off a bit. :/

edit: And Loa's night. Wowzers. Gets a drink spilled on her by Nightcrawler, can't control her powers due to excitement, and then comes being bait for Onslaught. That was not a successful evening. I hope they both get to address this.
    They should send her to be Storm's bodyguard on Arrako, would give her more perspective being amongst warlike and alien mutants as well as alien envoys.Would probably do her character a world of good.I always thought if her backstory was made darker she would be a perfect fit for X-Force, but maybe being a mainstay on Arrako is just as good.

Astonishing Member

I mean, Kurt is the only one who's not sure about things and asks questions. That makes it from my point of view the most sensible.
    True, and even though he asks questions we know he always has the best intentions and is big on ethics, so his pov is the perfect prism to navigate these moral quagmires.

This was my favorite book from the Fala, hands down.
    Last edited by Alex.; 06-23-2021 at 11:48 AM.

I like how Kurt is seen by others. He has taken this on himself and what he is doing is exposing all the flaws in Krakoa. The things we readers have seen since the start yet the comics haven’t touched. So the management of Krakoa is still turning a blind eye to this and looks down on him when he’s trying to make sense of it. The layers of hubris.

Yet Kurt is bearing the brunt of it and sometimes he gets reduced to a rather one dimensional character to sell it. Perhaps a reckoning is coming. Probably the answer will be more internalized with Kurt channeling their voices in a stand before the council.

I personally liked the abortion argument against Krakoa. Of course they need professional institutes for raising the children if they are so set on bolstering their numbers by procreation.

I saw Stacy X as being unfair to Kurt because she was just waiting for a moment to be heard. So all her frustration got out and Kurt took more then he deserved. With Kurt not being ready to represent the council and therefore having no response or way to deal with it.

Overall Stacy needs someone to bite back more. Hopefully Kurt will be more in shape for that next issue.

Legion being Legion shows us he needs characters that he is invested in, otherwise he becomes to chaotic and detached for him to be anything but an disruption element if he isn’t the driving force. I miss Ruth.

Pixie should always be drawn by Bob Quinn. I love her reactions. Her freckles. Her beautiful whimsy hair. Such has a joy to look at.

This issue was more emotional response then philosophical for me. Still good though. Love Kurts mess in the gala. Just the right way to deal with it without letting it derail the issue.

Extraordinary Member

Favorite book this week too.

I see now why the writer didn’t go with Bling/Mercury for this plot though.
    But some people just aren’t meant to be.

Best use of Stacy X. I never would of thought of how she’d be on Krakoa.

And Spurrier continues to show why David is not exactly the most altruistic.

So what Loa said to Mercury is influenced by Onslaught? Mercury had some dark thoughts yo.

Quote Originally Posted by Paragon View Post
    Cess nice things.jpg

Yeah Loa and Mercury got a rough deal, and their date went from funny to uncomfortable really fast. They both deserve better, and I hope the others don't forget to check on them.

Also, this interview about The Onslought Revelation and the description of the Cruci-ball makes me concerned about what Cess might get involved in.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev9 View Post
    They should send her to be Storm's bodyguard on Arrako, would give her more perspective being amongst warlike and alien mutants as well as alien envoys.Would probably do her character a world of good.I always thought if her backstory was made darker she would be a perfect fit for X-Force, but maybe being a mainstay on Arrako is just as good.
    That sounds fun. A space book would make sense with her durability; they just need to finally give her a costume that provides a semblance of resistance to electricity.

After a while, I start to wonder how many students actually got the therapy they clearly needed back then. These aren't entirely new or unexpected things for her to feel about her past. Except the magnifying glass; I still find that one to be an odd choice.

edit: Nevermind the question I had here. Something I misread.
    Last edited by Paragon; 06-23-2021 at 03:01 PM.