Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Default Deku Runs A Gauntlet

With notorious whitebread good boy Deku coming into his powers in the newer MHA chapters, I figured it might be fun to put him in a couple of gauntlets to see how him do these days. As he's effectively a one-man hero team, figured it might be fun to put him up against some other teams.

All fights take place in a rainy, damp and deserted central Tokyo. All combatants start off 500 metres from each other though they know each other's starting location.

Deku gets a rough primer on his opponents and ten minutes to strategize before each fight.

1) Team Arachnid

- Tobey Maguire Spider-Man
    - Tom Holland Spider-Man
    - Andrew Garfield Spider-Man
    - Miles Morales - Into the Spider-Verse
    - Tom Hardy Venom

All are at the power levels displayed in their most recent films. No one-off powerups (no Venom Suit for Maguire).

2) Team AVALANCHE

- Barret
    - Tifa
    - Cloud
    - Aerith

Final Fantasy VII Remake Continuity. Feats are only admissible from that game.

3) Team One-Two Do The Kung Fu

- Iron Fist (616)
    - Shirahama Kenichi (HSDK)
    - Cassandra Cain (Composite DC version)
    - Daredevil (616)
    - Tai Lung (Kung Fu Panda)
    - Baki Hanma (Grappler Baki)

Kenichi is from the end of his series, Baki is from the current series. All others are current, apart from Cassandra who is specifically composite.

4) The Mighty Morphin Power Rangers

- Jason Scott
    - Kimberley Hart
    - Billy Cranston
    - Trini Kwan
    - Zack Taylor
    - Tommy Oliver

Literally the classic Power Rangers. No Zords, original ranger coin power set (Zyuranger derived). Tommy has his Green Ranger powers, no White Ranger.

5) The MCU Avengers

- Iron Man
    - Thor
    - Hulk
    - Captain America
    - Black Widow
    - Hawkeye

Pre-Ragnarok Thor. No Bifrost or Stormbreaker. Cap can lift Mjolnir but Thor starts off with it. Hulk is angry beast. Tony gets his armour circa Civil War.

6) Whoever From S Class Showed Up Today

- Zombie Man
    - Handsome Mask (he was told not to go but went anyway)
    - Puri Puri Prisoner
    - Genos
    - Metal Bat
    - Child Emperor

No Brave Giant for Child Emperor. Genos in the 3.0 body he fought Garou and Elder Centipede with.

How far the does the good boy bunny get?

If he hits a wall, then Deku gets back up from:

- Bakugou
    - Hawks
    - Uravity
    - Todoroki
    Last edited by Nik Hasta; 06-23-2021 at 09:30 AM.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Have NO idea how good Deku is these days, but figured I'd give kudos for making me laugh. ^_^
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Nice one Nik - Deku is powering up hugely with his latest stuff and can punk a lot of these guys, I think.

1) Team Arachnid

- Tom Holland Spider-Man
    - Tom Hardy Venom

----- I THINK that Deku's ability to come close to 100% OFA and his other powers will let him trounce any of these guys one-on-one. I would start to plot his speed around VERY high end BT, and likely a bit above, with pretty silly travel speed to boot. How he dealt with Lady Nagant despite not wanting to hurt her was pretty ridiculous. He sadly doesn't have many feats against actual guns, but against a massively superhuman marksman (stated in the text as 100% hit rate at 4 km, IIRC) shooting massively-more-powerful-and-faster-than-bullets bullets he was dancing about, unhittable. He hits hard enough to deal some damage to any - though admittedly Holland's soak to blunt force trauma is incredible and Maguire's isn't far behind. He's going to need to get them apart and keep them apart, letting him take them out one-on-one, but, given how savvy he is in combat, I'd give him decent odds on winning against them from time to time. Keeping the smoke up, and using tendrils to restrain and ensure that he hits with his 100% Smashes will be critical, but it's the kind of thing he can do and does do. Whether that's 4 out of 10 or 6 out of 10 is hard to say. I don't think that he's 10/10 quite yet

2) Team AVALANCHE

----- I haven't played it, so I don't really know their feat levels. From the FF games I've played, I think that they are all statues to him.

- Iron Fist (616)
    - Daredevil (616)

------------ This gets interesting. I haven't seen Baki or HSDK so I can't comment there. He's too fast and too strong for Daredevil and Tai Lung. If Composite Cass includes her crazy phasing teleporting death ninja suit, that could make this difficult, though I'd say he's still somewhat faster than she is. Danny is tough, though - he's probably at least close in speed and has some pretty massive AoE abilities. Deku needs to get close to get a kill shot here, and that won't be easy, especially with everyone else running interference and me not even knowing what two of the characters bring to the table.

- Jason Scott
    - Kimberley Hart
    - Billy Cranston
    - Trini Kwan
    - Zack Taylor
    - Tommy Oliver

---------- It's been sooooooo long since I've seen this, but I think he's fast and strong enough to smash them via blitz, à la All Might, especially with smoke up and tendrils flying about. He should take this, though I admit I'm not entirely sure.

5) The MCU Avengers

- Iron Man
    - Thor
    - Hulk
    - Captain America
    - Black Widow
    - Hawkeye

I don't know that he can, as of what we've seen so far, get through Hulk's or Thor's durability. He might be able to - he's punched through some stupidly tough folks recently without hurting himself, but I don't know if it's quite Hulk or Thor level. He's also going to have a hell of a time dealing with the fliers, as long as they stay flying. OTOH, Civil War armor is not impressive based on what we see from Tony later. Thor flying and spamming lightning might win the day for the Avengers, eventually, and Thor's ability to generate wind and storms will eliminate Deku's ability with smokescreen. I don't know - I just don't know if Deku can hurt the Avengers big guns, but they are all statues to him. Their only real chance is Thor.

- Zombie Man
    - Puri Puri Prisoner
    - Genos
    - Metal Bat
    - Child Emperor

----- I think this is where Deku stops advancing. Genos, by that time, was a pretty decent multi-mach speedster, wasn't he? Metal Bat can do some truly ridiculous things once he starts taking damage. I don't know that he's quite at this level yet.

- Bakugou
    - Hawks
    - Uravity
    - Todoroki

Adding all of them probably gets the kids some wins even against the smattering of S-Class, though that still wouldn't be remotely enough against the big guns (which you left out for that reason).
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Just confirm, Cass is not intended to have the Kasumi suit on deck. Forgot that was a thing.

Just confirm, Cass is not intended to have the Kasumi suit on deck. Forgot that was a thing.
    In that case, she's a lot less valuable. Deku is a fair bit faster and can trivially one-shot her. Me not knowing much about 2 of the participants on the team stops me from flat out picking a winner, but without those two, Deku can probably win a majority pretty handily, with only him getting caught in some Iron Fist AoE followed by some pressure pointing or something stopping him from sweeping.
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Extraordinary Member

1) Team Arachnid

- Tom Holland Spider-Man
    - Tom Hardy Venom

All are at the power levels displayed in their most recent films. No one-off powerups (no Venom Suit for Maguire).
    Deku can easily get stronger than any of these guys and he can match them in speed, and Danger Sense seems somewhat more reliable than most of the spider-senses on display, Holland Spidey needs to focus to properly use his. So he should be able to beat most of the these guys in a one on one fairly handedly. If Deku plays this smart and goes for hit and run tactics he should be able to take this with the big question mark for me being Venom, mainly because I still haven't seen that movie.
    2) Team AVALANCHE

- Barret
    - Tifa
    - Cloud
    - Aerith

Final Fantasy VII Remake Continuity. Feats are only admissible from that game.
    No idea. Haven't played the game.

- Iron Fist (616)
    - Daredevil (616)

Kenichi is from the end of his series, Baki is from the current series. All others are current, apart from Cassandra who is specifically composite.
    Deku is way stronger than Daredevil, Cass, Kenichi and Tai Lung, a bit too fast and keep away with Black Whip and Float so I don't think that they pose too much of problem. No idea about Baki. But Danny is a problem. He's more skilled, similarly quick and with some of his nuttier feats I wouldn't be surprised if he might actually hit harder too. There's lots of variables going on here and I think that they might lean a bit more in the team's favor, but it's not impossible for Deku to take this. If can isolate Danny and bring him down, and if Baki isn't as problematic, then the others should fold without too much effort.

- Jason Scott
    - Kimberley Hart
    - Billy Cranston
    - Trini Kwan
    - Zack Taylor
    - Tommy Oliver

Literally the classic Power Rangers. No Zords, original ranger coin power set (Zyuranger derived). Tommy has his Green Ranger powers, no White Ranger.
    I don't think that they have the speed to hang in here really. They can take a beating fairly well and hang in there, but Deku should be able to bounce them around without too much danger to himself.
    5) The MCU Avengers

- Iron Man
    - Thor
    - Hulk
    - Captain America
    - Black Widow
    - Hawkeye

Pre-Ragnarok Thor. No Bifrost or Stormbreaker. Cap can lift Mjolnir but Thor starts off with it. Hulk is angry beast. Tony gets his armour circa Civil War.
    The non-powered trio fold easily enough and Iron man's Civil War armor was the one that was dismantled by Cap and Bucky, so Deku shouldn't have too much trouble bringing it down. But I just don't know if he can hurt Hulk and Thor enough, or deal with Thor just creating and whirlwind and spamming lightning at him. Hmm, I wonder if Deku's worthy enough to pick up Mjolnier.

- Zombie Man
    - Puri Puri Prisoner
    - Genos
    - Metal Bat
    - Child Emperor

No Brave Giant for Child Emperor. Genos in the 3.0 body he fought Garou and Elder Centipede with.
    Nope. I'd honestly say that Genos alone is enough to beat Deku and that the others are overkill.

- Bakugou
    - Hawks
    - Uravity
    - Todoroki
    Still iffy about the Avengers team and the S-class heroes are still too much. But the other fights become decidedly easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    Deku is way stronger than Daredevil, Cass, Kenichi and Tai Lung, a bit too fast and keep away with Black Whip and Float so I don't think that they pose too much of problem. No idea about Baki. But Danny is a problem. He's more skilled, similarly quick and with some of his nuttier feats I wouldn't be surprised if he might actually hit harder too. There's lots of variables going on here and I think that they might lean a bit more in the team's favor, but it's not impossible for Deku to take this. If can isolate Danny and bring him down, and if Baki isn't as problematic, then the others should fold without too much effort.
    Well, if we take current Danny Rand from the comics, then

spoilers:
    he's going to fold even faster than the others, because as of "Iron Fist: Heart of the Dragon #6", he's lost the power of the Iron Fist to Okoye, leaving him Izuku essentially fighting a regular (albeit highly athletic) guy whose really skilled in martial arts.
    end of spoilers
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

Extraordinary Member

Be interested in a speed break down for Deku. IIRC, he relied a lot on Aim Dodging with Nagant, and dialogue implies that 100 percent is necessary for bullet timing. But I wasn't really reading that for rumbles, so I could easily be wrong

I assume she doesn't get this either?

Quote Originally Posted by The Dog View Post
    Well, if we take current Danny Rand from the comics, then

spoilers:
    he's going to fold even faster than the others, because as of "Iron Fist: Heart of the Dragon #6", he's lost the power of the Iron Fist to Okoye, leaving him Izuku essentially fighting a regular (albeit highly athletic) guy whose really skilled in martial arts.
    end of spoilers
    This news to me, but no the intention of thread is that this should be classic Daniel Rand.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    Be interested in a speed break down for Deku. IIRC, he relied a lot on Aim Dodging with Nagant, and dialogue implies that 100 percent is necessary for bullet timing. But I wasn't really reading that for rumbles, so I could easily be wrong
    I seem to vaguely recall him literally out running a bullet to save Overhaul, no?

I assume she doesn't get this either?
    I should have just said "Post Crisis," to be clear.

No she does not get the powers of Shazam.

Extraordinary Member

This news to me, but no the intention of thread is that this should be classic Daniel Rand.

I seem to vaguely recall him literally out running a bullet to save Overhaul, no?

I should have just said "Post Crisis," to be clear.

No she does not get the powers of Shazam.
    1. IIRC, he needed to do his faux 100 percent thing to do that, and that requires some set up.

2. I figured, I just wanted to bring up Cazzam cause that's awesome

Extraordinary Member

He outran the bullet by using Faux 100% (45% OFA + Fa Jin). Fa Jin builds up and stores kinetic, which he did while hiding in the smokescreen during the fight with Lady Nagant. So it does require a bit of set up, but it doesn't seem to be too great a hurdle for him. Zip around in the city-scape while his opponents are looking for him and he can build up enough energy for the fight.

At 45% he outruns Gran Torino, who is just slightly slower than All Might crossing 5 kilometers in 30 seconds, with some of that time used to fight Nomus.
    Last edited by Dark Soul # 7; 06-24-2021 at 12:22 AM.

He outran the bullet by using Faux 100% (45% OFA + Fa Jin). Fa Jin builds up and stores kinetic, which he did while hiding in the smokescreen during the fight with Lady Nagant. So it does require a bit of set up, but it doesn't seem to be too great a hurdle for him. Zip around in the city-scape while his opponents are looking for him and he can build up enough energy for the fight.

At 45% he outruns Gran Torino, who is just slightly slower than All Might crossing 5 kilometers in 30 seconds, with some of that time used to fight Nomus.
    Plus actually outrunning Nagant's bullets is massively beyond simple bullet timing. Bullet timers don't outrun bullets or come particularly close.

Hmmm, I went back and read the sequence myself. It does indeed require some significant set up.

The issue is, how does this intersect with his nominal reactions? I assume that OFA amps his reaction time, right? I don't know if that's been explicitly stated in canon but All-Might had some ambiguous level of superspeed and Deku has his powers so it would follow.

Do we have much of a read on how the different percentages impact his reaction time at all?

Additional to that, his outrunning of the bullet was a big swing and bull-rush type of affair. Does that necessarily translate to him being able to fight/do complex things at that speed? And on top of that Fa Jin is like, one and done on faux 100% and... I think, using 100% still taxes him, I think?

Most of the Spider-Men have pretty solid feats of actually doing combat at their respective levels of enhanced speed. Deku kind of less so. They also have Spider Sense so he's less likely to be able to clip them apart form at close range.

Similarly with Team Kung Fu. Bags of good speed feats in there so I'm iffy on Deku's ability to reliably tag them.
    Last edited by Nik Hasta; 06-24-2021 at 02:59 AM.

Extraordinary Member

So in the first movie Deku dodges machine-gun fire when using 5% of One For All. Now, the movies' canonicity is a bit up in the air since it's not part of the original series, but they do fit into the timeframe just fine, Melissa from the first movie has appeared in one of the spin-off manga and some of the equipment Deku is using is at least a refrence to the movie. But it's probably best for the thread starter to decide if movie feats are acceptable or not.

It hasn't been animated yet but there's one sequence in the manga where a villain tosses several cars into the air and Deku is able to use air force to get up among them and catch them all with Black Whip before a single one of the crash. How impressive it is from a speed perspective will be interesting to see once animated, chapter 251 for the curious people.

So in the first movie Deku dodges machine-gun fire when using 5% of One For All. Now, the movies' canonicity is a bit up in the air since it's not part of the original series, but they do fit into the timeframe just fine, Melissa from the first movie has appeared in one of the spin-off manga and some of the equipment Deku is using is at least a refrence to the movie. But it's probably best for the thread starter to decide if movie feats are acceptable or not.
    Thaat... I think you'd hard pressed to argue that this is anything beyond rather good aim dodging aim-dodging. I mostly just a bit shocked that he apparently just jumps through the gunfire and apparently does get... hit... somehow? There's some kind of weird blocking to the animation on this.

It hasn't been animated yet but there's one sequence in the manga where a villain tosses several cars into the air and Deku is able to use air force to get up among them and catch them all with Black Whip before a single one of the crash. How impressive it is from a speed perspective will be interesting to see once animated, chapter 251 for the curious people.
    It's an okay feat but it's a far cry from the levels needed to back up the levels at play here. He's clearly got some level of speed to him.

This is kind of where my lack of a clear idea about Deku comes from. He's not... really... much in the way of speedfeats prior to the Nagant fight and that feat, while really fast, had a bunch of setup to it. I don't feel like there's a good case for that being like his default or normal operational level.

We might get more with further chapters?