Page 32 of 134 FirstFirst ... 222829303132333435364282132 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    hasnt even come out yet how does it already have massive flaws
    If you project your own opinions onto something, you don't have to wait for it to be released. I already know Warrior Season 3 will be awesome and they haven't started filming yet
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by bob.schoonover View Post
    If you project your own opinions onto something, you don't have to wait for it to be released. I already know Warrior Season 3 will be awesome and they haven't started filming yet
    thats very true
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Astonishing Member

Everyone in this thread needs to read this.

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    more so every fan of any media needs to read this
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    hasnt even come out yet how does it already have massive flaws
    We know the base of the story.

Peter is the guy who has gone through endless emotional and physical trauma.While learning about OMD is high on that list it would not put him out of commision.
    This is the same guy who has been through house of M and the time diamonds fiasco and has been dragged into hell and back to the living 8 times by Kindred by killing him in the most horific ways.

Also the idea of Peter not being able to lift a weight is just stupid.Spencer's entire run and much of slott's before that has been weight upon weight.
    Instead of taking the clean slate as a chance to tell good Spidey stories they will sideline him and in a way that disrepsects him.

Again I many be completely wrong here.This is all speculating

Extraordinary Member

Ehhhh...

I wasn't looking forward to Black Widow by Kelly at all but the first arc was really good.
    I was looking forward to Avengers current run and now I hate it.

This isn't really true

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    My view is to sit back and enjoy the ride. Those of us who've read the character for decades have been here before (we likely will again, I am sure). We all know Peter will be back as the main guy.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Ehhhh...

I wasn't looking forward to Black Widow by Kelly at all but the first arc was really good.
    I was looking forward to Avengers current run and now I hate it.

This isn't really true
    Read your post previous to this one. You've decided you know how Spencer's run will end and what the trauma is that causes Ben to need to take over. Yes, you say you're speculating, but that's like saying, "I don't mean to be insulting, but I think you're a revolting pile of goo." The qualifier is entirely negated by the ensuing or previous text. Throughout this thread you've been shitting on this idea because you can't imagine that Spencer will effectively end his run in a way that honors Peter but requires him to not wear the suit for a (short?) time.

Do I think finding out about OMD will be the horrible thing that causes Peter to stop being Spider-man? Not even a little bit. If I were to guess, I'd say it's one of two things: (1) Kindred is actually a piece of Peter's soul (or contains a piece of Peter's soul, horcrux or Onslaught style), rent by OMD, and he has to deal with the fact that part of him became a monster because of decisions he made (this would be not unlike his guilt about Venom and Carnage during the Michelinie run, but amplified quite a bit because it is, in a sense, him) or (2) in the course of finding out about OMD, Peter rushes an answer to a question from Mephisto, not realizing that Aunt May will die with his answer - this would be Uncle Ben all over again, but magnified by the directness of his hand in her death. Do I care if I'm right about either of these? No, not particularly. But either of those, as well as a few other scenarios, could certainly qualify as traumas sufficient for Peter to doubt himself because of the direct fault that would lie at his feet in a way that things like Gwen's death or House of M would not.

BANNED

It's as valid to be skeptical and dismissive of something announced as it is to be excited and enthused about it.

Neither response has a foundation based on the work in question or assessing the final thing.

The response to a project or idea announced is a good indicator though of the nature of that idea and its public favor. An idea that has public favor and notice raises expectations and can only dash them (Hickman announced for X-Men raised expectations and he has met them with a sizable consensus) an idea that doesn't have public favor is obviously polarizing and contentious and will have to overcome significant resistance to find favor.

I would say that the response to Spider-Man Beyond, and Ben Reilly coming back is polarizing to say the very least.
    Last edited by Revolutionary_Jack; 06-25-2021 at 07:54 AM.

People have a right to be hesitant or apprehensive about something when they’ve been burned so often in the past. While I do agree, that at the end of the day, we have to just wait and see without jumping the gun. That being said, how can you blame fans for feeling the way they do with what they’ve been given in the past in regards to the character of Spider-man?

The quality of the title isn’t in the best place right now. Tons of potential but not being handled properly and this is coming from someone who actually likes Spencer’s work as a whole. This news and preview about Beyond on the surface sounds pretty bad and is just coming at the wrong time.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    It's as valid to be skeptical and dismissive of something announced as it is to be excited and enthused about it.

Neither response has a foundation based on the work in question or assessing the final thing.

The response to a project or idea announced is a good indicator though of the nature of that idea and its public favor. An idea that has public favor and notice raises expectations and can only dash them...an idea that doesn't have public favor is obviously polarizing and contentious and will have to overcome significant resistance to find favor.

I would say that the response to Spider-Man Beyond, and Ben Reilly coming back is polarizing to say the very least.
    I will say this much. The response has been more “split” then I thought it would be. I imagined fans to be in an absolute uproar but that’s not the case.

A bit shocking for whatever reason.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post

The response to a project or idea announced is a good indicator though of the nature of that idea and its public favor. An idea that has public favor and notice raises expectations and can only dash them...an idea that doesn't have public favor is obviously polarizing and contentious and will have to overcome significant resistance to find favor.

If you take my comment in a vacuum, instead of seeing the context of it being a reply to someone saying this 4 line pitch has massive flaws, I'll agree with you whole heartedly. It's of course controversial, it's of course a high wire act that might massively disappoint. It's of course fair for someone to say, "I just want Peter as Spider-man so I'm not happy." It's patently absurd to say, "This story that I haven't read yet is flawed because of my guess at how the story previous to it will end."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by RD155 View Post
    I will say this much. The response has been more “split” then I thought it would be. I imagined fans to be in an absolute uproar but that’s not the case.
    Things that would cause uproar:
    -- Slott coming back as lead writer for a second run.
    -- MJ getting killed.
    -- Peter/MJ having another break-up.
    -- Revisiting and acknowledging Sins' Past in 616 Continuity again.
    -- Jameson getting killed.

Ben Reilly isn't quite up there. As a character he's bland and unassuming, by himself he doesn't provoke strong feelings but it's what the character represents in terms of stories, trends, and tendencies by editorial and other places that causes the response. The normalization of the "2nd Clone Saga" i.e. lowering standards so that people treat it as a great classic story when it wasn't, ignoring all the issues and problems that it did, the historic damage it did to the continuity...all that gets papered over a bit like how Bush administration officials during the Trump era get to be celebrated as "statesman" or as the phrase puts it, "arsonists posing as firefighters".

Extraordinary Member

Read your post previous to this one. You've decided you know how Spencer's run will end and what the trauma is that causes Ben to need to take over. Yes, you say you're speculating, but that's like saying, "I don't mean to be insulting, but I think you're a revolting pile of goo." The qualifier is entirely negated by the ensuing or previous text. Throughout this thread you've been shitting on this idea because you can't imagine that Spencer will effectively end his run in a way that honors Peter but requires him to not wear the suit for a (short?) time.

Do I think finding out about OMD will be the horrible thing that causes Peter to stop being Spider-man? Not even a little bit. If I were to guess, I'd say it's one of two things: (1) Kindred is actually a piece of Peter's soul (or contains a piece of Peter's soul, horcrux or Onslaught style), rent by OMD, and he has to deal with the fact that part of him became a monster because of decisions he made (this would be not unlike his guilt about Venom and Carnage during the Michelinie run, but amplified quite a bit because it is, in a sense, him) or (2) in the course of finding out about OMD, Peter rushes an answer to a question from Mephisto, not realizing that Aunt May will die with his answer - this would be Uncle Ben all over again, but magnified by the directness of his hand in her death. Do I care if I'm right about either of these? No, not particularly. But either of those, as well as a few other scenarios, could certainly qualify as traumas sufficient for Peter to doubt himself because of the direct fault that would lie at his feet in a way that things like Gwen's death or House of M would not.
    Fair enough.
    As I said I was speculating and I would say it's more like "from what I've seen so far(from both company and the writers involved and past experiences and promotion) I feel like this is a terrible Idea "

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Ben has been making appearances in Cantwell's Iron Man run. Is he still there, dropped off some issues back? Tony and his support cast went into space an issue or two back I believe(only been perusing it on the stand so not certain).

The Ben there was still healing from all the Clone Conspiracy mess. Where are we with him from a mental state? His physical scars?
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime