Page 67 of 134 FirstFirst ... 175763646566676869707177117 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,005 of 2004
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I dunno, something about this whole thing just doesn't feel genuine or sincere to me...even as a Ben comeback.
    I mean from a Ben fan's prespective
    1)The story is about him being Spidey so there is a good chance there's a twist specially with Beyond
    2)It's not gonna last:- 60th anniversary, 900th issue, no new numbering and NWH.

It's a lose-lose for both sides ig.More fro Peter but still

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I dunno, something about this whole thing just doesn't feel genuine or sincere to me...even as a Ben comeback.

It does feel kind of thrown together at the last minute and more than likely a stopgap status quo for ASM but it's hardly the first time something like that has been done in comics and doesn't mean we won't get some quality stories out of it.

For fans of Ben i'd say PAD's Scarlet Spider run set the bar so low for Ben stories it was damn near on the ground and there's no place you can go from there except up.

Really don't know what to offer up as far as advice to fans who're livid about this other than to say you've suffered through much worse than a second go around for Ben as Spider-Man imho and it's probably going to be a very brief run before we're back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    I mean from a Ben fan's prespective
    1)The story is about him being Spidey so there is a good chance there's a twist specially with Beyond
    2)It's not gonna last:- 60th anniversary, 900th issue, no new numbering and NWH.

It's a lose-lose for both sides ig.More fro Peter but still
    I feel like you're completely misunderstanding at least a subset of Ben fans here. Of course there's a twist with Beyond - that's the whole point of choosing a pre-established corporation in 616 (rather than, say, inventing Horizon Labs). We know going in it's not on the up and up and we know it won't last. That's baked into the premise of the series.

The questions are (1) Does Ben know that from the beginning or how does he learn about it? (2) Does Ben act more like Ben of the 90s or is he still messed up from the Jackal's experiments from Clone Conspiracy (his Iron Man appearances seem to favor the former, but who knows), and how is this addressed? (3) Does Beyond end with a serviceable new place for Ben in either the Spidey corner of 616 or somewhere else (New Warriors reboot!)? Will Ben have the opportunity to work with or interact with people we've enjoyed seeing him with before (return of Kaine?), those he'd like to (Aunt May), or those he didn't know existed (Teresa, Miles)?

I'll be disappointed if the story is Ben is a giant jerk and dies again. I'll be disappointed if the story is Ben just fails and Peter has to step in because Ben can't cut it, so Ben goes off to find himself again. I'll be disappointed if Spidercide doesn't pop up. But I won't be disappointed when Peter returns and I don't think most of the Ben fans will, either
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bob.schoonover View Post
    I feel like you're completely misunderstanding at least a subset of Ben fans here. Of course there's a twist with Beyond - that's the whole point of choosing a pre-established corporation in 616 (rather than, say, inventing Horizon Labs). We know going in it's not on the up and up and we know it won't last. That's baked into the premise of the series.

The questions are (1) Does Ben know that from the beginning or how does he learn about it? (2) Does Ben act more like Ben of the 90s or is he still messed up from the Jackal's experiments from Clone Conspiracy (his Iron Man appearances seem to favor the former, but who knows), and how is this addressed? (3) Does Beyond end with a serviceable new place for Ben in either the Spidey corner of 616 or somewhere else (New Warriors reboot!)? Will Ben have the opportunity to work with or interact with people we've enjoyed seeing him with before (return of Kaine?), those he'd like to (Aunt May), or those he didn't know existed (Teresa, Miles)?

I'll be disappointed if the story is Ben is a giant jerk and dies again. I'll be disappointed if the story is Ben just fails and Peter has to step in because Ben can't cut it, so Ben goes off to find himself again. I'll be disappointed if Spidercide doesn't pop up. But I won't be disappointed when Peter returns and I don't think most of the Ben fans will, either
    I would be even more disappointed if Kaine didn't show up at some point, either. Given where they left off the last time . . . although, yeah, Spidercide would be interesting to have come back as a foil (and evil --- or perhaps eviler --- counterpart) for both Ben and Kaine.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    I would be even more disappointed if Kaine didn't show up at some point, either. Given where they left off the last time . . . although, yeah, Spidercide would be interesting to have come back as a foil (and evil --- or perhaps eviler --- counterpart) for both Ben and Kaine.
    The only creator to mention him in the last two decades was Chris Yost, who had a deep affection for the clone saga as well as a fanboy-level of knowledge about it. I’m still pissed we never saw that Clone Wars arc between Jackal and Mr Sinister he had planned. Unfortunately I doubt the Beyond team are aware of Cide… or if they are, editorial might feel the continuity behind him too obscure to be brought up. We’ll see! The name is pretty cringe, but I always thought the character itself got an unfairly bad rap.

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    The only creator to mention him in the last two decades was Chris Yost, who had a deep affection for the clone saga as well as a fanboy-level of knowledge about it. I’m still pissed we never saw that Clone Wars arc between Jackal and Mr Sinister he had planned. Unfortunately I doubt the Beyond team are aware of Cide… or if they are, editorial might feel the continuity behind him too obscure to be brought up. We’ll see! The name is pretty cringe, but I always thought the character itself got an unfairly bad rap.
    Same here. Would have loved to see the Genetics War between those two, although given that the Jackal's "reanimation" from Clone Conspiracy is somewhat reminiscent of the Krakoan Resurrection Protocols, which Mister Sinister has a strong hand in through his archive of various mutants' DNA . . .

I've never heard about a planned Jackal-Sinister Clone Wars!!!

Do you (or anyone else) know any other details regarding what that story might've been like?

And was it Yost who wrote the Spidey/X-Men miniseries that had Ben in it for the 90s era issue?

-Pav, who remembers that Kraven-X clone...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post

Do you (or anyone else) know any other details regarding what that story might've been like?

And was it Yost who wrote the Spidey/X-Men miniseries that had Ben in it for the 90s era issue?

All I recall is it would’ve involved a pissing match between Jackal and Sinister with them pitting their clones against each other. With Kaine stuck in the middle of course. This would’ve happened in year 3 if SS was renewed beyond #25, which it wasn’t sadly.

And no, that Spidey/X-Men issue was written by Christos Gage.

Extraordinary Member

1)He doesn't.I think it's pretty clear that he thinks they are the good guys.No clue, but I do think Peter knows or is a threat and hence they will kill him.

2)He seems like 90s even in the FCBD.

3)Probably, seems likely.I mean they are showing him down the death of Doctor Strange Story which is a peter specific one so I think they will also shove him in everything else.

I don't think he will be a Jerk.
    I mean they will probably make peter not cut it and be humiliated.If they do that then when he returns, ben deserves all that to happen to him.If they write him off respectfully, then Ben should also be treated with respect.
    Again, this is Superior in new wrapping paper.We will get some Beyond stuff in the start and end and some in between and a few solo stories.

Honestly though, the fact that they f*cked such an important Spider-man story for a random Ben one makes be pissed.F*ck Marvel for that.They don't give a damn about continuity but will f*ck there best property.

And the biggest thing they did to F*ck Ben is to do this when OMD and Spider-marriage was on the up.Didn't work the first time so.....
    Last edited by Spiderfan001; 08-05-2021 at 02:23 AM.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Is it just me who hopes Kaine won't show up (or at least for 12+ issues) or if he does it's just a fist bump "we're cool" moment?

I feel the Ben/Kaine thing has been done forwards, backwards, upside down and in polka dots.

I'd really like to see just Ben have a chance to shine on his own this time around, maybe even revisit a few of his old supporting cast and villains. Actually use this as a Ben book rather than just a replacement Spider-man book.
    Last edited by exile001; 08-05-2021 at 04:45 AM.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Mighty Member

I'm mixed on Kaine's return. I like the character, but you're correct that having both pulls focus. I suppose I'll split the difference and say I want Kaine if Beyond has clone-y intentions, but no Kaine if it's just evil mad science without cloning.

On that topic, one of the reasons I mentioned Spidercide is that there's not a good "dark Spider-man" villain, and I think he'd fit the bill (with a new name). Venom is just a hero, Carnage and his brethren are now functionally removed from their spider origins, Doc Ock has his old body, and Kaine was redeemed long ago. Having an irredeemable or very flawed cracked mirror Spider-man around can't hurt.
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Smile

I must admit I'm the most excited I've been for a Spider-Man storyline, or rather perhaps story arc, in many years. Does anyone know exactly when "Beyond" launches?
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post

Technically called Xraven, but yeah.

All I recall is it would’ve involved a pissing match between Jackal and Sinister with them pitting their clones against each other. With Kaine stuck in the middle of course. This would’ve happened in year 3 if SS was renewed beyond #25, which it wasn’t sadly.

And no, that Spidey/X-Men issue was written by Christos Gage.
    Uh-huh, though I should mention all four issues of X-Men/Spider-Man were written by Gage as well.

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    Is it just me who hopes Kaine won't show up (or at least for 12+ issues) or if he does it's just a fist bump "we're cool" moment?

I feel the Ben/Kaine thing has been done forwards, backwards, upside down and in polka dots.

I'd really like to see just Ben have a chance to shine on his own this time around, maybe even revisit a few of his old supporting cast and villains. Actually use this as a Ben book rather than just a replacement Spider-man book.
    I'm mixed on Kaine's return. I like the character, but you're correct that having both pulls focus. I suppose I'll split the difference and say I want Kaine if Beyond has clone-y intentions, but no Kaine if it's just evil mad science without cloning.

On that topic, one of the reasons I mentioned Spidercide is that there's not a good "dark Spider-man" villain, and I think he'd fit the bill (with a new name). Venom is just a hero, Carnage and his brethren are now functionally removed from their spider origins, Doc Ock has his old body, and Kaine was redeemed long ago. Having an irredeemable or very flawed cracked mirror Spider-man around can't hurt.
    I still like the idea of bringing in Kaine, because given his deep respect for what Peter/Spider-Man stands for and seeing himself as damaged goods in comparison, not to mention how he and Ben left off previously, I'd like to see all that addressed and resolved. That said, I do appreciate the idea of actually bringing in Ben's supporting cast from his time as Spider-Man, as well as other important figures from his past that aren't necessarily Kaine, correcting the wasted opportunity in the PAD Scarlet Spider series. And if we're bringing his villains into it, too, why not finally bring back Joystick, who did debut in the Scarlet Spider titles that served as a prelude to Ben becoming Spider-Man for the first time? Set up a rematch with Lady Octopus as well, for that matter. Could even bring in D'Spayre from that past encounter Ben mentioned in the first Spider-Man comic following Maximum Clonage, and maybe reveal that he had a role in driving Ben into madness and villainy back in The Clone Conspiracy and its fallout.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I must admit I'm the most excited I've been for a Spider-Man storyline, or rather perhaps story arc, in many years. Does anyone know exactly when "Beyond" launches?
    In October, with ASM 75.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    ....In October, with ASM 75.
    Thanks for the info.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Thanks for the info.
    You're welcome.