Page 53 of 134 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763103 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    I can understand the general negativity. Some are fearful this will be the result of Peter being killed or severely injured to the point someone else needs to step in. Replacement stories are often met with trepidation because they often sideline a character for a period of time. Nobody wants their favourite left out in the cold. Especially for a situation that was done once before in the 90s. It's like replacing Tony with Rhodey or Bruce with Dick yet again.

In saying that, this is likely a situation that'll run for 6 months - 8 months (if #900 IS to be the big return issue). Which really isn't that long when it'll be shipping 3x. It all hinges on what happens with Peter. If he is sidelined through injury (yet is still in the book) I think people will be more receptive towards what Marvel is doing. But if they kill him, then you bet this place will erupt.

Personally I'd love it if the fight with Kindred left Peter broken spiritually. That his resolve is shattered to the point he simply gives up being Spider-man because it causes more harm than good. The he has a awakening by seeing Ben out there. Whereby he is reminded that Spidey does do good and he is needed. It absolutely won't happen that way, but at least it is different to the usual "maim or kill" scenarios that lead to replacement heroes. That same situation is what caused Jane to become Thor.
    Here is one problem that has not been discussed: The math. There are 5 writers and 26 issues until 900. Does anyone really think Wells, Ahmad etc only want to do 5 stories apiece? Also if you go back to the last time this was done ( Superior), it took 18 months. I could easily see a time frame closer to that number. then say 9 months ( 26 issues) to 900.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
    Just thinking about this here, Spidey's pretty much had the equivalent of comics out almost weekly for about how long? We got Marvel Team-Up and Spectacular as the B-books in the 70s, then Web of replaced Team-Up and we added adjectiveless in the 90s so there was pretty much always a stream of 3 to 4 books for a while now.

I miss the days of the B-titles being a reliable source for Marvel to get their monthly Spidey book quota. I know they like having more Amazing now since BND where they figured anything called "Amazing" sells more than the other books because people think it's more important.

The B-titles had a lot of room for innovation and room to tell stories you typically wouldn't find in the main book that could add a lot to the characters, or even big events. I'm thinking things like JMD's Spectacular runs with focus on side characters, the Harry Osborn saga, the symbiote bell-tower scene in Web of, McFarlane's huge selling solo turn, Paul Jenkins great Peter Parker: Spider-Man/Spectacular runs. You could even count Ultimate, which brought a lot of lasting impacts to the table, even selling more than Amazing at a point in the early 2000s.

I dunno. I like whenever we see things like Spectacular or Friendly Neighborhood come back for "extended mini-series" periods because they always have some memorable different kinds of takes (My Dinner With Jonah, Amazing Fantasy, Spider-Bite, the MJ FNSM issue are all recent B-title highlights for me).
    I agree.
    The best part is that if current ASM is a drag then they can give you something different.
    Different tones is another great thing to have.
    ASM can lean into the darker sides whereas the others can be a bit lighter.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    Here is one problem that has not been discussed: The math. There are 5 writers and 26 issues until 900. Does anyone really think Wells, Ahmad etc only want to do 5 stories apiece? Also if you go back to the last time this was done ( Superior), it took 18 months. I could easily see a time frame closer to that number. then say 9 months ( 26 issues) to 900.
    I don't think they all will get 5.Maybe some get a bit more or some get a bit less.
    Also the fact that this is ASM.If they want to build or solidify their rep it doesn't get better than this.
    Also Marvel pays really bad, maybe they want to move to creator owned stuff.Thus want to get their name our there.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    Yes, but the volume of Uncanny before Hickman took over was a placeholder too (it was classed as a "new era" too). It had multiple writers on it as well. If this is absolutely a last minute job (as some rumours suggest) they likely couldn't get a single writer to handle it. So they got multiple to handle it.

Or, as I said before, they could be doing a trial to see which writer sticks. Or time to get a A list writer in place.

Either way, you can bet Marvel won't let 900 pass without Peter front and center.

Extraordinary Member

Yes, but the volume of Uncanny before Hickman took over was a placeholder too (it was classed as a "new era" too). It had multiple writers on it as well. If this is absolutely a last minute job (as some rumours suggest) they likely couldn't get a single writer to handle it. So they got multiple to handle it.

Or, as I said before, they could be doing a trial to see which writer sticks. Or time to get a A list writer in place.

Either way, you can bet Marvel won't let 900 pass without Peter front and center.
    They confirmed this too.
    Zebs idea and then people were brought in because it was too big a story.
    They have a 900 issue deadline and want to get their quick hence 3x a week.

BANNED

This is very frustrating. I sometimes think Marvel forgets that Amazing Spiderman is at it's core the story of Peter Parker, and how he deals with the unexpected blessing/curse of great responsibility of being bestowed spider powers. How does Spiderman Beyond do that exactly?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    They confirmed this too.
    Zebs idea and then people were brought in because it was too big a story.
    They have a 900 issue deadline and want to get their quick hence 3x a week.
    I remember reading it was somewhere, but didn't know if it was legit confirmed yet.

People are worried this will go on for a hundred issues (probably because the BND era lasted that long). No way Peter will be out that long. Even if the 3 writers thing sticks after 900, there is no chance it will pass without Peter in all his glory. Common sense.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey5640 View Post
    This is very frustrating. I sometimes think Marvel forgets that Amazing Spiderman is at it's core the story of Peter Parker, and how he deals with the unexpected blessing/curse of great responsibility of being bestowed spider powers. How does Spiderman Beyond do that exactly?
    By having someone in the role contrasting who Peter is; them ultimately realizing they aren't as good or suffering a defeat whereby the original comes back; and the reader being reminded just why Peter is, ahem, Amazing?

I don't know, you'd think by having the guy in his book doing that on a regular basis would prove that point *shrugs*

Extraordinary Member

By having someone in the role contrasting who Peter is; them ultimately realizing they aren't as good or suffering a defeat whereby the original comes back; and the reader being reminded just why Peter is, ahem, Amazing?

I don't know, you'd think by having the guy in his book doing that on a regular basis would prove that point *shrugs*
    Exactly.
    Just give us peter being amazing like in most of JMS era.

Extraordinary Member

I remember reading it was somewhere, but didn't know if it was legit confirmed yet.

People are worried this will go on for a hundred issues (probably because the BND era lasted that long). No way Peter will be out that long. Even if the 3 writers thing sticks after 900, there is no chance it will pass without Peter in all his glory. Common sense.
    It was part of the promos.

It can't.Aside from 900 issue, repeated storyline(not just the replacing, but Ben replacing), placeholder run and multiple writers ASM without Peter just won't sustain.

I do have to say I'm happy for the Ben Reilly fans.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I do have to say I'm happy for the Ben Reilly fans.
    Thanks, Mets! It's an exciting time -- and it's going to be tough to wait for ASM #75 to arrive!

-Pav, who is glad the NBA draft isn't that far away...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    You continually treat your subjective perspective as objective fact and then make declarations like "Marvel hates Spider-Man."

It's just ridiculous.

Why is it so hard to say, "I haven't cared for the choices Marvel has made recently," instead of something like the above quote?

I think Superior is an excellent story despite a weak ending. I have liked much of Slott's work. I liked a lot of the BND era.

And I express this as personal preference because words have meaning.

It's frustrating, man. And it's not just you. It's everywhere.

-Pav, who pines for better discourse...

EDIT: I don't want to debate this. If you see my point, great. If not, oh well -- but part of my job is creating a space where discourse on literature can be held in the most successful manner possible, and I'm very good at my job. So I know what works and what doesn't in regards to having an honest and respectful analytical literary discussion.
    So you say that I treat my statements as a fact which is not true.Unless I say that what I am saying is a fact it is my opinion.
    I don't have to write "but that's my opinion" on every post.

Also I gave a list of storylines and runs that backs me(by which I mean my opinion that modern Spider-man is treated horribly) up.

And you only said you like superior which is okay but it's still a story that sidelines Peter for 18 months.

[and the guy you are rooting for is an old man trying to sleep with ladies half his age and MJ is also the daughter in law to his (almost)ex-wife, and he goes through someone else's private memories after getting rejected to rub one off and sleeps with Anna in someone else's body(SA) and the fact that everyone is suddenly dropped 100 IQ points to make the story work, and on top of that he only does good because of Peter's memories so it's not really a redemption and to top it all off the same writer brings him back ruining his sacrifice but I don't think you are ready for that conversation]

And you are in full support of beyond as well, so maybe you just like the replacing trope or just don't like Peter or care about him as a character.

I majority people are not happy with modern Spider-man.I don't think me saying marvel doesn't care about the quality of the comic isn ridiculous.

And speaking of me being ridiculous, you say that I should word things better when you call my opinion "Just ridiculous".Maybe take your own advice.

"It's not just you, it's everywhere"?
    What does this mean?

And if you are talking about other threads.I only say something is a fact when they are, or close enough to where I may think they are.
    E.x. I would say Miles's rogue's gallery is worse than Peters.
    That is something I may consider a fact depending on context, do you think that is wrong?

And if you don't want to debate then don't reply to a post not directed at you.You are not achieving anything here.Just targeting someone and complimenting yourself while you're at it and not being subtle about while trying to take a moral high ground at the same time.
    Even if you want to help make this a better discussion board there are better ways to go about it.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 07-03-2021 at 11:11 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    ...the daughter in law to his ex-wife,
    Ock and Aunt May never got married. Hammerhead thankfully stopped that in time.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Ock and Aunt May never got married. Hammerhead thankfully stopped that in time.
    Thanks, but close enough.I was making the point that he was in a romantic relation with her mother-in-law.
    Or is the enormous age gap and the fact that he is in someone else's(someone who is her ex and much more physically attractive and mentally sane)body and that she is unaware of these facts not gross enough .
    Last edited by Spiderfan001; 07-03-2021 at 08:52 AM.