Page 22 of 134 FirstFirst ... 121819202122232425263272122 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    And wasn't there a whole series about Ben's adventures before he came back in the Clone Saga?
    That was "The Lost Years" by JMD and it's a good YA series about a young drifter but just isn't you know a story of a superhero protagonist.

And he was, historically, the first second Spider-Man.
    In publication history, Miguel O'Hara aka Spider-Man 2099 debuted in 1992 and he is Spider-Man's first legacy hero.

If you define "first second Spider-Man" narrowly in terms of first person other than Peter who wore the Spider-Man costume than that's Hobie Brown/Prowler in ASM#87.

If you mean "First Clone" of Peter...well okay yeah that would be Ben Reilly I guess. But if you want to claim being cloned then it must be pointed out that the clone version of Ben was killed by Green Goblin, and the one we have now is a series of clones of Ben Reilly, i.e. copy of copy. So the version of Ben Reilly in Beyond isn't even "the first Ben Reilly", lol.

They made it a point that Bruce wasn't in a good place when he nominated Jean Paul Valley and part of why he did it is that he didn't want to saddle Dick with the burden of being Batman, a burden that frankly Dick still doesn't really want because he can't be Batman like Bruce can.
    Well the other intepretation is that Bruce being that he's a first class a--hole and possessive jerk knew that Dick Grayson would be better than him, so he deliberately picked a guy who would mess up to be his successor so he'd come back in grand style.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Again by the time we get this we will have a lot more solicits to base our opinion on.
    Also please no.

No more spider-people in this comic.If they wanna tie-in an event fine.But not just for sh*ts and giggles
    You'll take your Spider-People in The Amazing Spider-Man and you'll like it!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    With Knightfall, Bruce refused to nominate Dick Grayson as Batman...and then years later Grant Morrison established that Grayson would be a totally better and more capable version of Batman than Bruce would be.
    Bruce didn't refuse; he thought that asking Dick to do it wouldn't be fair to Dick, who had worked so hard to make his own way in the world.

And the point really was that sometimes anniversary issues are not the one where the hero returns, but where the ersatz hero appears, becomes more entrenched, or powers up (see also, Reign of the Supermen, Dying Wish, The Death of Thor, etc)
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

The only thing Dick Grayson's Batman is better at than Bruce's Batman is being boring. How dare people put him on Ben Reilly's level. Ben's blonde!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Superboy-Prime View Post
    You'll take your Spider-People in The Amazing Spider-Man and you'll like it!
    Yeah Marvel really trying way too hard with this

Mighty Member

The only thing Dick Grayson's Batman is better at than Bruce's Batman is being boring. How dare people put him on Ben Reilly's level. Ben's blonde!
    I think what you're saying is Ben needs a plucky, arrogant, semi-murderous sidekick to really level up
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by rward777 View Post
    The writers must be as tired of single Peter as they were with Married Peter. Probably ran out of ideas since the Parker Industries saga.
    LOL! Oh that's funny. Got to have a clone now I guess.

That was "The Lost Years" by JMD and it's a good YA series about a young drifter but just isn't you know a story of a superhero protagonist.
    It was part of developing him into one, though.
    In publication history, Miguel O'Hara aka Spider-Man 2099 debuted in 1992 and he is Spider-Man's first legacy hero.

If you define "first second Spider-Man" narrowly in terms of first person other than Peter who wore the Spider-Man costume than that's Hobie Brown/Prowler in ASM#87.

If you mean "First Clone" of Peter...well okay yeah that would be Ben Reilly I guess. But if you want to claim being cloned then it must be pointed out that the clone version of Ben was killed by Green Goblin, and the one we have now is a series of clones of Ben Reilly, i.e. copy of copy. So the version of Ben Reilly in Beyond isn't even "the first Ben Reilly", lol.
    I'm talking in the context of taking over for Peter as Spider-Main the present-day.
    Well the other intepretation is that Bruce being that he's a first class a--hole and possessive jerk knew that Dick Grayson would be better than him, so he deliberately picked a guy who would mess up to be his successor so he'd come back in grand style.
    ...He wants Dick to be better than him, though? Like, jeez, no way would Bruce endanger Gotham by deliberately putting someone not fit for the job in the role. That doesn't make a lick of sense.
    Don't you mean smiling?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by bob.schoonover View Post
    And the point really was that sometimes anniversary issues are not the one where the hero returns, but where the ersatz hero appears, becomes more entrenched, or powers up (see also, Reign of the Supermen, Dying Wish, The Death of Thor, etc)
    Or you know the story that actually started it all...Kraven's Last Hunt which came out in 1987 well before Knightfall and Death of Superman, and probably was an inspiration (for Knightfall at least).

In that story it's Kraven who replaced Peter and for two months, KLH was published in all Spider-Man titles for the first time and that was done by Jim Salicrup to sell the idea of Kraven killing Peter since Spider-Man can't appear in another comic at the same time.

BANNED

I'm talking in the context of taking over for Peter as Spider-Main the present-day.
    Kraven did that in Kraven's Last Hunt. Not consensually but then Superior Spider-Man wasn't consensual either.

Like, jeez, no way would Bruce endanger Gotham by deliberately putting someone not fit for the job in the role. That doesn't make a lick of sense.
    That assumes that Bruce or Batman is always rational and isn't prone to subconscious acts of sabotage and self-destruction, which as it often happens in men with a great deal of power, results in fallout that affects the lives of a large circle of people.

Extraordinary Member

If anyone knows wallcrawlerfacts on IG he perfectly says why this is bad:
    Check the post but in short:-
    1)Already did the peter is the true superior spider-man in S.SM.(and S.SM. was already just kraven's last hunt but worse , fight me )
    2)Ben already tried taking over the mantle in 90s
    3)Spencer's run sets up a more classic style Spidey stories, this makes no sense story wise
    4)Why the hell are they doing BND style multiple writers.All writers are also mediocre
    5)We should have gotten to know more about beyond corp.Hopefully we do in the future

Extraordinary Member

Or you know the story that actually started it all...Kraven's Last Hunt which came out in 1987 well before Knightfall and Death of Superman, and probably was an inspiration (for Knightfall at least).

In that story it's Kraven who replaced Peter and for two months, KLH was published in all Spider-Man titles for the first time and that was done by Jim Salicrup to sell the idea of Kraven killing Peter since Spider-Man can't appear in another comic at the same time.
    This.
    I think it was 2 weeks.
    Superior is already a rip off Kraven's hunt and now this.

Astonishing Member

[QUOTE=Spiderfan001;5602069]Yeah Marvel really trying way too hard with this[/QUOTE
    This goes back to one of my prime complaints about Spencer: He should have ended Kindred a year ago and now we are stuck with this. I had made a statement that a fear of mine was he leaves stuff hanging like JMS did with Sins Past. It might be worse like JMS left us with OMD ( at least Slott gave us 801 and I bet Superior is well Superior to Ben). I wonder if Marvel is familiar with this quote: “Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.” You can certainly apply that to Clone Saga and OMD.

Don't you mean smiling?
    It's the smiling that makes him boring. If smiling was important, Spider-Man wouldn't wear a mask.

Kraven did that in Kraven's Last Hunt. Not consensually but then Superior Spider-Man wasn't consensual either.
    Ben was way more valid than either of those two examples.
    That assumes that Bruce or Batman is always rational and isn't prone to subconscious acts of sabotage and self-destruction, which as it often happens in men with a great deal of power, results in fallout that affects the lives of a large circle of people.
    Of course that's also assuming that a man who was on death's door after having his back completely broken was in the right state of mind to name a successor, but at the time Jean Paul was nowhere near as deranged as he ended up being as Batman.

And this is, like, early to mid 90's Bruce who was nowhere near as bad as late 90's Bruce.
    It's the smiling that makes him boring. If smiling was important, Spider-Man wouldn't wear a mask.
    It's important for the contrast .