Page 30 of 134 FirstFirst ... 202627282930313233344080130 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Just made a poll.
    Let's see how this plays.
    People can see who you vote for as well.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Superboy-Prime View Post
    I like Peter, he's just not the best Spider-Man. He's like the fourth best one. Most people prefer Doc Ock.
    ?

This is truly bizarre. People liked the story of Superior, granted. But even Otto admitted in story that Peter was better. It was his character arc. At the start he was determined to prove he was the best spider-man and, in the end, realized he wasn't. He got beat both times by Norman. But even if that was a good story, it inevitably had to give way to him returning to villainy. He is one of the best Spidey villains and one of the premiere villains Marvel has.

Even if he was a good Spidey for some. He can never go back to that.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    ?

This is truly bizarre. People liked the story of Superior, granted. But even Otto admitted in story that Peter was better. It was his character arc. At the start he was determined to prove he was the best spider-man and, in the end, realized he wasn't. He got beat both times by Norman. But even if that was a good story, it inevitably had to give way to him returning to villainy. He is one of the best Spidey villains and one of the premiere villains Marvel has.

Even if he was a good Spidey for some. He can never go back to that.
    Exactly.

Also made a poll for this.Do you mind voting

EDIT: I see you already have.Thanks for your contribution
    Last edited by Spiderfan001; 06-25-2021 at 01:37 AM.

BANNED

I will never understand the love for Ock Spider-man, he was a piece of trash who had sex dreams about MJ, some creator self inserting and Kaine was the far better "asshole" spider-man anyway in the Scarlet Spider run after spider island.

Anyway Ben was my Spider-man when I was a teenager, he was great in the 90s and something fresh at the time because Spider-man had become so serious due to the edgy 90s fad.

His costumes were just fantastic and the blonde hair was a nice touch, I liked his new supporting cast that included retired Pete and MJ and his job at the coffee shop so hope we see them return including the burglars daughter he dated.

I loved the marriage though and that for me would be the greatest thing to return even if Pete takes a break for a few months to a year, I just hope Ben is written well this time and not the evil dumpster fire that Slott wrote. I don't want asshole Ben, thats Kaine, I want the fresh optimistic Ben who dealt with Venom with ease and was more street level than the Avenger Peter has become.

I also hope we see Ben interact with Black Cat (they kissed), FF and others again, he met many of them in the Spider-man team up book at the time.

Overall, I'm very excited he's back and in Amazing and I hope this means the marriage is also back, Let Miles be the single student Spider-man, Ben be the single adult street Spider-man and Peter be the happily married iconic Avenger Spider-man.

I have the 6 books of the Ben Reilly epic so I might read them again to get ready.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The BaRoN View Post
    I will never understand the love for Ock Spider-man, he was a piece of trash who had sex dreams about MJ, some creator self inserting and Kaine was the far better "asshole" spider-man anyway in the Scarlet Spider run after spider island.

Anyway Ben was my Spider-man when I was a teenager, he was great in the 90s and something fresh at the time because Spider-man had become so serious due to the edgy 90s fad.

His costumes were just fantastic and the blonde hair was a nice touch, I liked his new supporting cast that included retired Pete and MJ and his job at the coffee shop so hope we see them return including the burglars daughter he dated.

I loved the marriage though and that for me would be the greatest thing to return even if Pete takes a break for a few months to a year, I just hope Ben is written well this time and not the evil dumpster fire that Slott wrote. I don't want asshole Ben, thats Kaine, I want the fresh optimistic Ben who dealt with Venom with ease and was more street level than the Avenger Peter has become.

I also hope we see Ben interact with Black Cat (they kissed), FF and others again, he met many of them in the Spider-man team up book at the time.

Overall, I'm very excited he's back and in Amazing and I hope this means the marriage is also back, Let Miles be the single student Spider-man, Ben be the single adult street Spider-man and Peter be the happily married iconic Avenger Spider-man.

I have the 6 books of the Ben Reilly epic so I might read them again to get ready.
    Exactly.Also MJ is like his daughter in a ways.He was married to aunt may.

Black cat kissed ben because she believed he was the real Spider-man so that was just weird.

Other than that I am actually happy ben is back but he will likely be done wrong since he feels like the antagonist here and is also working with the Beyond Corp.
    I don't know a lot about Ben so how do you feel about this.Not his return but how he is returning?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    They do it every 10 years or so with characters.
    Superior will be 10 years next year (more or less). Gotta remind those fans!
    Besides, Marvel replaced Steve with Sam only 5 years after Steve reclaimed it from Bucky.
    Tony has been replaced as Iron Man 4x in my lifetime (Rhodey, Rhodey, Riri and Arno).
    One problem most people have with Hollywood and the entertainment industry is the e perceived need to do remakes and sequels. One other problem is about 99% of them are worse then the original ( Godzilla versus Kong is a notable exception). Without reading one page or knowing the fate of Peter, I already know the Ben story is a remake of Superior with Clone Saga added to it. Based on history, I can be pretty certain the original Slott/Otto story will end up being viewed over time as well Superior. Why? Like it or not Dan Slott came up with an original ( or at least original to me) concept, this however, is old material from Superior, Clone Saga and pathetic Pete that we are all familiar with.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    One problem most people have with Hollywood and the entertainment industry is the e perceived need to do remakes and sequels. One other problem is about 99% of them are worse then the original ( Godzilla versus Kong is a notable exception). Without reading one page or knowing the fate of Peter, I already know the Ben story is a remake of Superior with Clone Saga added to it. Based on history, I can be pretty certain the original Slott/Otto story will end up being viewed over time as well Superior. Why? Like it or not Dan Slott came up with an original ( or at least original to me) concept, this however, is old material from Superior, Clone Saga and pathetic Pete that we are all familiar with.
    I don't mind them doing "replacement" stories provided they actually have a story to tell. It is why I gave Sam a pass at the time because he had been Steve's partner and close friend for decades prior to taking up the shield. It also posed a good question in what would a socially conscious, African American do if he was Cap. Because Sam had a different outlook on America than Steve did. But they've replaced Tony with Rhodey like 3 times and that was just a retread because the bulk of that story had been explored first time around. Likewise with Dick becoming Batman for a second go.

This? I'll definitely read it and give it a go. But I can't see why Ben would take the role on again. I know he has a major redemption arc to complete still. However Peter has that whole Order of the Web thing. Why can't they pick up the slack? Maybe Peter asks him to do it or maybe Ben pulls a Bucky feels no one can occupy the role better than the man who is a genetic copy.

Either way, stories like these aren't given the green light easily. Even Alonso had to know Superiors endgame before he approved it. No doubt this one has a clear end in mind too.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    HAHAHAHAHA

dude are you trolling?!

Post people prefer Peter and it's not even close.

The entire point of superior was Ock realizing and admitting that Peter was the real Superior Spider-man.
    “Most people” is subjective. I’ve been buying Spider-Man for close to 30 years, and for the past 10 years, Peter is like my 5th favorite, behind Ben, then Miles, then Miguel, then, SpOck, then Ultimate Peter, then finally 616 Peter.

I think Marvel has learned that “to a degree”, people love the concept of Spider-Man and his/her powers are more popular than someone behind the mask.

I love Peter, but I am BORED to death of Peter. This stunt with Ben? We know it won’t have any negative lasting effects on Peter, BUT, it can help elevate Ben to heights that he hasn’t seen in forever, and if it succeeds, BOOM. Marvel then knows that the market can handle probably a THIRD Spider-Man book. Peter (Amazing), Miles and possibly Ben. After all, isn’t Ben supposed to be in the next Spider-verse movie? This could be a way to get those familiar with the Spider-verse movie ready and prepped for his appearance.

Peter will be fine. After all the character has gone through, some downtime outside the suit, will do him good, however issue 74 ends. For us, Superior was what? A few years ago? In universe, for Pete that was what? A few months? Peter has earned a break.

I just see this as an overall WIN for everyone. Having Peter take a break can allow the writers/editors to take some time and map out Peters next set of stories for the future, while letting the character take a break, and also using this as a time to use the main Spider-Man book to market one of the Spider-Verse stars for the next movie.

I just don’t see any negatives here at all.

BANNED

The idea Peter is boring while having Miles ranked that high is hilarious, since Miles has basically done nothing but rehash stuff Peter has already done, and has done so with no real consistent characterization, or iconic moments to get behind.
    It's just funny
    And it's not subjective at all, most people prefer Peter that is just a fact, to try and argue otherwise is ludicrous.
    Last edited by Metro; 06-25-2021 at 04:07 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Metro View Post
    The idea Peter is boring while having Miles ranked that high is hilarious, since Miles has basically done nothing but rehash stuff Peter has already done, and has done so with no real consistent characterization, or iconic moments to get behind.
    It's just funny
    And it's not subjective at all, most people prefer Peter that is just a fact, to try and argue otherwise is ludicrous.
    Thank you.
    I get differing opinions but the points we made are not opinion based.
    You can like whoever you want but this is just facts.

I think it's hard for Miles' comic content to reach the heights of the Spider-Verse movie because that was able to distill it all in with hindsight to its most potent, whereas him in the main comics universe he's got a lot of weird backstory baggage they're always seeming to tilt one way or the other with whether any of it is still canon or if they remember any of it... I'm saying it's less elegant.

I didn't really care for the Peter stories that came about right after his Superior return, I don't think the break benefited him any as far as setting the stage for fresher stories. The relaunch after Superior was one of the weakest stretches of Slott's entire run, and I don't think the Spider-Verse comic is a good Peter story either. Peter was at his most bumbling and ineffectual around then and it was really underwhelming after Superior. Honestly the most I've enjoyed reading him in recent years in the main continuity was in Spencer's run, at least in the earlier portions of it where we were getting more of Peter out of costume with the cast.
    Last edited by Spidey_62; 06-25-2021 at 04:24 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
    I think it's hard for Miles' comic content to reach the heights of the Spider-Verse movie because that was able to distill it all in with hindsight to its most potent, whereas him in the main comics universe he's got a lot of weird backstory baggage they're always seeming to tilt one way or the other with whether any of it is still canon or if they remember any of it... I'm saying it's less elegant.

I didn't really care for the Peter stories that came about right after his Superior return, I don't think the break benefited him any as far as setting the stage for fresher stories. The relaunch after Superior was one of the weakest stretches of Slott's entire run, and I don't think the Spider-Verse comic is a good Peter story either. Honestly the most I've enjoyed reading him in recent years in the main continuity was in Spencer's run, at least in the earlier portions of it where we were getting more of Peter out of costume with the cast.
    Agreed.
    But slott was just a part of peter's history and mostly one of the worst ones.
    And both Spider-verse were also bad comics.
    The movie was on point though

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blanks View Post
    “Most people” is subjective. I’ve been buying Spider-Man for close to 30 years, and for the past 10 years, Peter is like my 5th favorite, behind Ben, then Miles, then Miguel, then, SpOck, then Ultimate Peter, then finally 616 Peter.

I think Marvel has learned that “to a degree”, people love the concept of Spider-Man and his/her powers are more popular than someone behind the mask.

I love Peter, but I am BORED to death of Peter. This stunt with Ben? We know it won’t have any negative lasting effects on Peter, BUT, it can help elevate Ben to heights that he hasn’t seen in forever, and if it succeeds, BOOM. Marvel then knows that the market can handle probably a THIRD Spider-Man book. Peter (Amazing), Miles and possibly Ben. After all, isn’t Ben supposed to be in the next Spider-verse movie? This could be a way to get those familiar with the Spider-verse movie ready and prepped for his appearance.

Peter will be fine. After all the character has gone through, some downtime outside the suit, will do him good, however issue 74 ends. For us, Superior was what? A few years ago? In universe, for Pete that was what? A few months? Peter has earned a break.

I just see this as an overall WIN for everyone. Having Peter take a break can allow the writers/editors to take some time and map out Peters next set of stories for the future, while letting the character take a break, and also using this as a time to use the main Spider-Man book to market one of the Spider-Verse stars for the next movie.

I just don’t see any negatives here at all.
    I find it funny that you say "most people" is subjective even though ASM sales are the highest at marvel rn and specially with the Spider-characters and then go on to say you are bored of him.
    That's the problem, you are bored of him and don't mind him getting bad stories so that the character you are interested in can get a spotlight because he is not good enough to sustain himself.

There are new readers who are looking forward to ASM and Peter stories.You are burned out.
    Also most readers haven't been reading for 30+ years so they won't probably get bored anytime soon.

The negatives are for Peter and his fans.
    You want Ben and since he can't stand on his own legs you want Peter's support.

If peter takes a break I want to follow peter and MJ on the break.
    Also it doesn't seem like a vacation break.Seems like he will be in extreme depression(IGN promo) and fatal damage(They said in the promo on marvel.com).
    Also you are saying that after everything Peter has done, he is not enough.This isn't a break, it's disrespect.
    Peter has done 100x times the things Ben ever will and is 10x the man he ever will be.

Face it, you want your low B list character to have the spotlight and he needs Spider-man to do it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The BaRoN View Post
    White male self-pity, which is what Superior ran on, always has an audience.

Incredible Member

I never said that Peter is not enough. And I don’t want Peter to get bad stories. Hell, I started buying back Peter stories right after Brand New Day, and I’ve enjoyed the past few years of reading abs collecting. This last relaunch? Not so much. I gave it ten issues before I dropped Spencer’s run.

And I don’t have to face anything. I know Ben is a B-lister. I’m not denying that. Peter will be fine. Ben taking over the webs, however briefly is STILL part of Peters story.