Page 126 of 134 FirstFirst ... 2676116122123124125126127128129130 ... LastLast
Results 1,876 to 1,890 of 2004
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Good point.
    Thank you very much. Whatever else, I just hope Ben makes it out of Spider-Man Beyond alive and with his character intact.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Technically, it just erased the taint on his soul that accumulated from those 27 torturous deaths and resurrections, but it didn't erase the memory of what was done to him or what he went on to do himself, which would still be plenty of trauma, just with less danger of his soul collapsing under the strain and making him go apocalyptically insane.
    That's what I inferred, but the comic itself doesn't state that. I see your point and interperted somtihing akin to that. But the truth is they rushed and handwaved that in the comic.

Astonishing Member

Thank you very much. Whatever else, I just hope Ben makes it out of Spider-Man Beyond alive and with his character intact.
    I'll say it again, if they resurrected and cleaned the stain from Slott/David that would be lame and lazy.

Not to mention that he died like 29 times already.

Quote Originally Posted by Sr. Bungle View Post
    That's what I inferred, but the comic itself doesn't state that. I see your point and interperted somtihing akin to that. But the truth is they rushed and handwaved that in the comic.
    That's a very good point. Granted, the Inheritors' cloning-and-soul transference tech was a lot more advanced compared to what the Jackal (Miles Warren, or later Ben coopting Warren's resources) was able to do, but could it really cleanse spiritual corrosion?

Astonishing Member

That's a very good point. Granted, the Inheritors' cloning-and-soul transference tech was a lot more advanced compared to what the Jackal (Miles Warren, or later Ben coopting Warren's resources) was able to do, but could it really cleanse spiritual corrosion?
    Yeah, on the other hand the "life sucking" thing was always ill-defined in fiction in general.

Yeah, on the other hand the "life sucking" thing was always ill-defined in fiction in general.
    True enough, yeah.

Extraordinary Member

Wasn't that the point of it?
    To cleanse the spiritual corrosion.As in he still has the memories of the deaths and tortures but the effect they had on him is erased.

It's very ill-defined and doesn't seem like Beyond arc is going to address it anyway

FELLOW FRIENDS OF BEN!

I forgot to bring this up last Wednesday, so I thought I would now before I forget again:

What does everyone think about the introduction that we've been getting for a few issues now, in which they've basically just replaced the name "Peter Parker" with the name "Ben Reilly?" It doesn't say anything about Ben being a clone, refers to Uncle Ben as "his," etc.

I'm also curious if anyone has any ideas as to what deeper meaning, if any, the Beyond Intro might have regarding the overall story, its plot, and/or its themes. Like, is it supposed to imply that Ben is as legitimate as Peter? Is their interchangeability being emphasized?

Very interested to know what you guys think!

-Pav, who sees Lafuente's original art for the BR:SM #2 cover is sold and is wondering which of you fine folk bought him such a wonderful Christmas present...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Wasn't that the point of it?
    To cleanse the spiritual corrosion.As in he still has the memories of the deaths and tortures but the effect they had on him is erased.

It's very ill-defined and doesn't seem like Beyond arc is going to address it anyway
    Considering one of Beyond's perks for Ben as their Spider-Man is giving him access to psychotherapy via Dr. Ashley Kafka('s "reanimate"), I'd say it's more subtly referenced that he still has trauma from those torturous deaths and resurrections the Jackal put him through.

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    FELLOW FRIENDS OF BEN!

I forgot to bring this up last Wednesday, so I thought I would now before I forget again:

What does everyone think about the introduction that we've been getting for a few issues now, in which they've basically just replaced the name "Peter Parker" with the name "Ben Reilly?" It doesn't say anything about Ben being a clone, refers to Uncle Ben as "his," etc.

I'm also curious if anyone has any ideas as to what deeper meaning, if any, the Beyond Intro might have regarding the overall story, its plot, and/or its themes. Like, is it supposed to imply that Ben is as legitimate as Peter? Is their interchangeability being emphasized?

-Pav, who sees Lafuente's original art for the BR:SM #2 cover is sold and is wondering which of you fine folk bought him such a wonderful Christmas present...
    I think it's supposed to reflect how Beyond intends to supplant Peter Parker (and Miles Morales) with Ben Reilly as the sole legitimate Spider-Man going forward.

Astonishing Member

FELLOW FRIENDS OF BEN!

First of all, if someone had told me 15 or 20 years ago that one day Ben would not only be back but take over the Spider-Man mantle again in the main 616 books (even if it’s just a 6 month event) I would’ve thought they were certifiable. I sometimes have to pinch myself.

I think the blurb is interesting… I don’t remember if Ben’s blurb in 1996 mentioned the clone stuff, but I think it also didn’t. I’m not sure if this is by design to reflect Ben’s ideal vision of himself (just the hero parts with none of the self-doubt and clone parts mentioned), which would be kinda meta. Or if Marvel also wants to keep things relatively simple for new readers (always someone’s first comic, which is why this is pretty ballsy also). Ben feelings of doubt and his low self-esteem and feelings of inadequacy compared to Peter has been obvious in some scenes of dialogue. But actual mentions of cloning and what Ben is, has been scant. A new reader would probably think Ben is a friend or cousin of Peter.

Extraordinary Member

FELLOW FRIENDS OF BEN!

More bothered by the sticky fingertips and toes instead of being able to stick from his entire body because he's said and done so in the comics.

It's cool, kinda meta in a sense.

Considering one of Beyond's perks for Ben as their Spider-Man is giving him access to psychotherapy via Dr. Ashley Kafka('s "reanimate"), I'd say it's more subtly referenced that he still has trauma from those torturous deaths and resurrections the Jackal put him through.
    He has enough trauma for decades of therapy aside from his deaths.And again he has the memory of those, I just meant the effect of said memories in his spirit has been "cleansed".

Astonishing Member

FELLOW FRIENDS OF BEN!

I think there's amd underlying theme of how memories makes us what we are, since the opening of the storyline. Ben's memory loss and the empty faces of the hallucination seen in the preview of #80

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    More bothered by the sticky fingertips and toes instead of being able to stick from his entire body because he's said and done so in the comics.

It's cool, kinda meta in a sense.

He has enough trauma for decades of therapy aside from his deaths.And again he has the memory of those, I just meant the effect of said memories in his spirit has been "cleansed".
    Fair points, and yeah, I agree Marvel should have stopped with the "adhesive fingers and toes" thing a long time ago since it's been known and demonstrated for years that Spider-Men with the Peter Parker power template can stick with any part of their bodies to whatever surface they happen to be touching.

I think there's amd underlying theme of how memories makes us what we are, since the opening of the storyline. Ben's memory loss and the empty faces of the hallucination seen in the preview of #80
    That's an interesting take I hope the writers run with as Spider-Man Beyond continues.

That's an interesting take I hope the writers run with as Spider-Man Beyond continues.
    yeah, i dig
    troo fan or death

Astonishing Member

I just realized something: There's something really spooky around here, like a "deja vu". You see, back in OMD, Aunt May was fighting between life and death and Peter's dispair took him to make "a pact with the devil", literally. Now we are in a similar situation, where Peter is fighting fighting between life and death and Aunt Mat's dispair took her to make "a pact with the devil"; even although this is a lesser Devil.