Page 13 of 134 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363113 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    What relationships?
    All the ones pinned under Slott were largely unaccepted by the fan base like Carlie Cooper and Black Canary. I mean you have over half the fan base asking when Peter and MJ going to get back together while writers want to explore new relationships. Spider-Man fans know Peter and MJ are endgame. They don't know who is endgame with Ben, Miles, Gwen, etc Because that has never been shown or taught to fans. So those characters exploring new and different relationships feel authentic and are accepted by fans. But Peter and MJ are the OTP for main Spider-Man, every fan knows that and it appears Marvel have stopped trying to pretend we don't on that latest run.

Also I don't mind buying Ben but why buying it so that I can read married spidey makes no sense.
    We have like 10 different Spider-people that are single.
    Yeah you don't. Not sure why they need Ben to make Peter married but if that's their thinking then I'd support it. I do like Ben, he was the Spider-Man I read when I first started collecting so I could totally read a book on him again. Not everyone does. You don't have to. But I wouldn't speak out against or discourage support for other Spider heroes if you want Peter to have the best chance at being remarried to MJ. It's the only way I can see Marvel going for it.

Astonishing Member

Do they even remember that they promised more information today or not?

Oh, and I want to make it clear I love Ben as a character. It is not Ben I have a problem with it is why I suspect Editorial is moving in this direction is what I have a problem with; they desire a single, young (in attitude if not chronicle age) Spider-Man as close to OG Peter Parker as possible. They don't care, I suspect, about Ben the character all they care about is a hip-swinging single Spider-Man without much "baggage" they can use as a canvas for their retrograde ideas; Miles won't do because Miles doesn't share Peter's earliest memories thus maintaining a type of continuity or more precisely a direct connection where they can say - "look, he's still the Spider-Man you remember from those great classic issues, more or less." It is a cheap, creatively bankrupt idea, IMO, not much better than the infamous debacle that was OMD.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    All the ones pinned under Slott were largely unaccepted by the fan base like Carlie Cooper and Black Canary. I mean you have over half the fan base asking when Peter and MJ going to get back together while writers want to explore new relationships. Spider-Man fans know Peter and MJ are endgame. They don't know who is endgame with Ben, Miles, Gwen, etc Because that has never been shown or taught to fans. So those characters exploring new and different relationships feel authentic and are accepted by fans. But Peter and MJ are the OTP for main Spider-Man, every fan knows that and it appears Marvel have stopped trying to pretend we don't on that latest run.

Yeah you don't. Not sure why they need Ben to make Peter married but if that's their thinking then I'd support it. I do like Ben, he was the Spider-Man I read when I first started collecting so I could totally read a book on him again. Not everyone does. You don't have to. But I wouldn't speak out against or discourage support for other Spider heroes if you want Peter to have the best chance at being remarried to MJ. It's the only way I can see Marvel going for it.
    I think you mean Mockingbird.
    I agree but thats all in the past now.MJ and Peter can still be happily married.

I mean instead of beating around the bush lets just support married peter MJ and make sure marvel knows that we do.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Oh, and I want to make it clear I love Ben as a character. It is not Ben I have a problem with it is why I suspect Editorial is moving in this direction is what I have a problem with; they desire a single, young (in attitude if not chronicle age) Spider-Man as close to OG Peter Parker as possible. They don't care, I suspect, about Ben the character all they care about is a hip-swinging single Spider-Man without much "baggage" they can use as a canvas for their retrograde ideas; Miles won't do because Miles doesn't share Peter's earliest memories thus maintaining a type of continuity or more precisely a direct connection where they can say - "look, he's still the Spider-Man you remember from those great classic issues, more or less." It is a cheap, creatively bankrupt idea, IMO, not much better than the infamous debacle that was OMD.
    Agreed.
    Ben as a younger pete stand in seems like a terrible idea

I think you mean Mockingbird.
    I agree but thats all in the past now.MJ and Peter can still be happily married.

I mean instead of beating around the bush lets just support married peter MJ and make sure marvel knows that we do.
    Yes Mockingbird, lol.

Agreed.
    Ben as a younger pete stand in seems like a terrible idea
    I disagree. Ben Reilly worked in the mid 90s. His relationships were interesting. He was given reins over the main book and it sold well. Ben Reilly works as a character and his relationships as a single hero work better than Peter ever would be able to again outside of MJ.

I’ve been out of the loop with Spider-Man for a few months after last remains ended so been playing catch up so this “beyond” news is new to me. I won’t deny that I’m an unapologetic Mary Jane fanboy and prefer them married. It’s boils down to one thing for me though. Marvel at one point felt the marriage held the character and writers back. Really? Where are all the classic stories in recent history with an unmarried Spider-Man? Where is this groundbreaking storytelling?

The marriage was never the issue. The issue is marvels apparent fixation with keeping Peter as some man child and attempting to de-age him at every turn. It also doesn’t help when the “movie” version which is advertised everywhere in Tom Holland is rolling around in school buses and calling out for Mr Stark every two seconds.
    Last edited by RD155; 06-24-2021 at 10:48 AM.

Fantastic Member

If Ben is taking over for a while, be nice if we could see his old supporting cast, The Grind, Burglars Daughter... Jessica, if I remember... of course, they saw him 'die', so there's that...

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    I disagree. Ben Reilly worked in the mid 90s. His relationships were interesting. He was given reins over the main book and it sold well. Ben Reilly works as a character and his relationships as a single hero work better than Peter ever would be able to again outside of MJ.
    I would not like to see Ben dating in the superhero community or one of Peter's ex's under the disguise that he is Spider-man or Peter.
    Again I don't understand why this is a big deal because even in OMD he didn't have a lot of romantic relationships.
    If they want Ben to be the loser type that peter was in BND start go ahead.
    Also as you said you do care about ben but most readers specially ones who left because of clone saga and modern ones don't care about him.The forum is filled with people who have read it and many who like it but if he takes on ASM then many people will drop it.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by RD155 View Post
    I’ve been out of the loop with Spider-Man for a few months after last remains ended so been playing catch up so this “beyond” news is new to me. I won’t deny that I’m an unapologetic Mary Jane fanboy and prefer them married. It’s boils down to one thing for me though. Marvel at one point felt the marriage held the character and writers back. Really? Where are all the classic stories in recent history with an unmarried Spider-Man? Where is this groundbreaking storytelling?

The marriage was never the issue. The issue is marvels apparent fixation with keeping Peter as some man child and attempting to de-age him at every turn.
    Again if they want to use Ben as the man-child stand in go ahead.
    Just make sure Peter is the main character with MJ.

Incredible Member

Ben Reilly was dead for two decades. During this time appearances via flashbacks, stories set during his time and even references to the character were rare so I'm not seeing this preferential treatment over non straight white male characters.

Even when he was brought back it was as as a villain. Now I'm probably in the minority for thinking that wasn't the worst way to go since it worked for characters like Bucky and Jason Todd. But I think we can call agree that his revival series were he was supposed to be seeking redemption was badly botched but that's on Peter David not the character. The book didn't showcase what fans liked about the character.

Also Ben was popular and helped boost sales of books when the clone saga began. The clone saga went on too long because Mavel wanted to extend that initial success for as long as they could but that shouldn't be a black mark against the character. Also Miles hasn't really been a big seller since Ultimate Peter returned but they still keep publishing his book and Spider-Girl was spared from cancellation due to low sales many times because Marvel thought the character was important I'm not seeing this preferential treatment Ben is supposed to get compared to Miles and Mayday.

All this and we don't really know if this does feature Ben and in what role. All we know is that someone will be wearing a Spider-Man costume very similar to Ben's Spidey suit. The design is probably the best update to the classic red and blue spider suit and has been a big influence on the MCU Spider armor design. Could easily be 616 Peter in that suit or someone else.

Extraordinary Member

Also we really do need to see what marvel will put out today because this all depends on that.

I would not like to see Ben dating in the superhero community or one of Peter's ex's under the disguise that he is Spider-man or Peter.
    Again I don't understand why this is a big deal because even in OMD he didn't have a lot of romantic relationships.
    If they want Ben to be the loser type that peter was in BND start go ahead.
    Also as you said you do care about ben but most readers specially ones who left because of clone saga and modern ones don't care about him.The forum is filled with people who have read it and many who like it but if he takes on ASM then many people will drop it.
    Ben should absolutely have his own set of romantic love interests that are different from Peters. I agree.

Not sure if it will sell well or not. Not sure if he is even "replacing" Peter. We'll see.

Extraordinary Member

And also just saying this again.
    There is a big MULTIVERSAL component here with BEYOND.
    We are all making assumption on Ben and Pete but Beyond seems to be the most important part and the one no one is talking about because we don't have info lol.
    I really hope we get more news on how that plays out