Page 16 of 134 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666116 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

I'm excited for this, in particular for how out of a left-field it came about. Like Ben hasn't been relevant in the main Amazing title in years, and now he's just going to pop in and take the role back all of sudden?

For some reason, I love that!

I think I love it because there is a mystery component to it, like why Ben is suddenly back, and I always love when comics tantalize me with a mystery. Not only that, but I like Ben. Though I loved most of Slott's run, something I don't think gets said enough on these forums, Ben's resurrection and return in Clone Conspiracy was not that well done. Getting a new shot at the main mantle in a more contemporary comic book storyline, as well as a new team of writers, is what I think the character needed.

I don't know, I'm just extatic about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It doesn't seem like it from the synopsis mentioning how Ben might be better. Again.
    Eh, not sure what it means until we find out what happens in Spencer's finale. If Peter learns about the deal he may give up for a while. Or maybe he dies and he going to learn about it can come back. IDK. I'm just hoping we get some of what Spencer has been setting up developed on in the finale so I can feel good about the direction they are going in.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    The solicits mentioned some kind of victory price.
    I'm not sure, but maybe Peter will defeat Kindred and undo the deal with Mephisto, but May will die. And maybe that's what will lead to Ben taking the mantle, while Peter will leave the role for some time.
    Well the synopsis did say with the lessons of both Uncle Ben and Aunt May in his mind… And Ben hasn’t had any interaction with May since his resurrection really… maybe this does undo it, and they finally let May rest.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    My big fear is that Editorial will either kill off Peter or make him a powerless (due to a severe beating) invalid so Ben can become the one "true" Spider-Man. This would be awful, IMO, and a move I couldn't support despite my love of Ben.
    You said it best

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    Yuck this sounds horrible.
    It sure does, not that I'd put it past Editorial at this point... *sigh*
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member

The most suprising thing here is that they're doing this just three months before No Way Home release.

Quote Originally Posted by transformers03 View Post
    I'm excited for this, in particular for how out of a left-field it came about. Like Ben hasn't been relevant in the main Amazing title in years, and now he's just going to pop in and take the role back all of sudden?

For some reason, I love that!

I think I love it because there is a mystery component to it, like why Ben is suddenly back, and I always love when comics tantalize me with a mystery. Not only that, but I like Ben. Though I loved most of Slott's run, something I don't think gets said enough on these forums, Ben's resurrection and return in Clone Conspiracy was not that well done. Getting a new shot at the main mantle in a more contemporary comic book storyline, as well as a new team of writers, is what I think the character needed.

I don't know, I'm just extatic about this.
    This is exactly why I dislike it. It feels out-of-nowhere and with no build up.

People have probably forgotten Ben is alive and not evil.
    Eh, not sure what it means until we find out what happens in Spencer's finale. If Peter learns about the deal he may give up for a while. Or maybe he dies and he going to learn about it can come back. IDK. I'm just hoping we get some of what Spencer has been setting up developed on in the finale so I can feel good about the direction they are going in.
    I don't know if it has anything to do with the deal, although...again, then it's basically just a retread of the Venom deal, but either way the premise seems to be Ben possibly being a better Spider-Man. Again.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dawidos View Post
    And it is confirmed - Ben Reilly is back

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...nkId=122266281
    Damn my expectations weren't high but this is a disappointment

We just came out of Kindred saga and Peter being tortured for the whole run.
    Instead of focusing on him being happy with MJ and being Spidey they give us this mess.
    Man here I was hoping we can get to the era of Spidey being the hero everyone in the future talks about but instead we push him down even further even though Nick just did that "you are the problem and not enough" stuff.
    So basically this Ben will do Spider-man but they will make him look better because the plot needs him to be.Probably has help from the beyond corp.

No just No

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    It sure does, not that I'd put it past Editorial at this point... *sigh*
    I mean editorial is what turned Sins past into the mess it is.
    I really don't like editorial.

I think they learned their lesson on trying to make Ben the "true" Spider-Man. If anything the most is he is the single Spider-Man and Peter can be the married Spider-Man.
    I hope you're right. However, I'd be lying if I said I'm not (very) worried.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Orbus View Post
    ...I'm not seeing this preferential treatment over non straight white male characters.

Also Ben was popular and helped boost sales of books when the clone saga began.
    As Spider-Man's Nightwing or sidekick, not as a hero in his own right, and not as the real Peter. The purpose for which he was created. It was the padding out of the Clone Saga, the marketing and others that made Ben Reilly known and remembered. If left to the original intentions of writers, Ben Reilly would crash and burn and be forgotten, seemslike.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm happy for Ben fans, but this...just doesn't sound all that appealing?
    Yep.

Like, suddenly out-of-nowhere Ben gets to be Spider-Man again
    Do you remember the movie blockbuster that featured Ben Reilly? Or the best-selling video game with Ben Reilly? Or the popular cartoon with Ben Reilly? Or you know how Ben Reilly was a huge part of Ultimate Spider-Man by Bendis?

Whazzat...of you don't remember because it didn't happen, right?

and now we're positing that, once again, he might be a better Spider-Man than Peter because Peter failed at something?
    If this runs a message at the end of Superior Spider-Man, i.e. the reason we like Peter as Spider-Man more than Ben because he's a f--k up or so on...well the boards will be interesting at the very least.

And why does it need so many writers?
    The real shame is that none of the new and incoming writers, all of whom not being white male like Zeb Wells (who of course can go "Got Mine" since he got his in BND) are going to get much time to writer Peter Parker Spider-Man. They've been signed on to mainly write Ben Reilly.

That stinks.

Quote Originally Posted by DT Winslow View Post
    I’m out.
    You know I might actually agree with you on this.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    The most suprising thing here is that they're doing this just three months before No Way Home release.
    Yeah.
    Like what.
    Also why would Ben being a better Spidey hurt peter.
    He's not someone who cares much about ego atm.
    They are gonna put PIS because even if beyond corp ben is better then peter would be happy lives are being saved and that his brother is back

Extraordinary Member

Also will do a deep dive later and dissect ever line
    But what the hell did peter fail at?

Astonishing Member

Can someone remind me what exactly is the Beyond Corporation? I know it has something to do with individuals capable of change reality, but I'm not sure about their goals or nature.

I'm leaning to staying on with this new status quo depending on how Spencer finishes and the variables involved up to that point. If it leaves the door open for OMD reversal or having Peter marry again after this is over with I'm in for sure.
    I will take anything if it somehow leads back to a married Spider-Man and OMD reversal. I just don’t see it happening. Far too often I’ve put my faith in Marvel when it comes to this character.

I just don’t understand the “point” of this story. We just went from one writer making a habit of treating Spider-Man as a supporting character right into another story being advertised as someone else being the main character. Lol....

Like seriously what the hell happened to Spider-Man being about....Spider-Man.