Page 38 of 134 FirstFirst ... 283435363738394041424888 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    1) Some people will buy a comic no matter what because they want to build a collection and a set, or because they think someday it might have sale value.

2) It's also part of the problem with comics discourse these days. If you dislike a comic and walk away they will say if you don't like don't read it, and publishers will see positive responses on a board and say it's successful and talked well and exclude the people who walked away or dropped as inconveniences. So the ones who dislike a book and want to express that are forced to comment and hate on every issue.

3) People check out books in library. Like I read a lot of Dan Slott and BND stuff in the trade from libraries in the run up to Spencer's run. Was generally unimpressed, consistently so.

4) And add that with piracy, it's very easy for people to keep up with comics without paying for it.
    I understand the first 2 points but personally don't really do it.
    If I read bad review I see spoilers and then just post if I like the character a lot(Spider-man), rest I would just ignore.

I don't really get comics at my library specially not newer ones so I will just check online.

Quote Originally Posted by classicgmer View Post
    My main question about all this is how many of my fellow CBR posters who seemingly hate the idea of this are going to show up on the issue discussion threads to tell us about this idea they hate but are still reading it anyways???
    My hope is that posters will have the decency to allow those of us who are excited about Ben's upcoming story to enjoy conversing about it.

It's fun to have fun. Imagine going to a party full of people who aren't excited about the party.

-Pav, who's ready for the Ben Reilly party...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    My hope is that posters will have the decency to allow those of us who are excited about Ben's upcoming story to enjoy conversing about it.

It's fun to have fun. Imagine going to a party full of people who aren't excited about the party.

Agreed, we should let people enjoy Ben.

But this is like a party for Peter when they killed(metaphorically for now, we'll see if it's literal) him and now are celebrating said murder for us Peter fans.

-Spiderfan, who just wants Peter to be the main character of his own book...

Incredible Member

Well between the people who don't want Peter replaced for any reason at all and those who think Marvel will use Ben as a
    another vehicle to show/prove a single Spider-man is better than a married one all i can say is prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

Personally i'm onboard but not without some reservations with some of the information we have at hand. I also believe Marvel has more than earned some concerns about their ability to handle Ben's charcterization so i will be scrutinizing them a bit for that until i see positive progress being made on that front.

Extraordinary Member

Well between the people who don't want Peter replaced for any reason at all and those who think Marvel will use Ben as a
    another vehicle to show/prove a single Spider-man is better than a married one all i can say is prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

Personally i'm onboard but not without some reservations with some of the information we have at hand. I also believe Marvel has more than earned some concerns about their ability to handle Ben's charcterization so i will be scrutinizing them a bit for that until i see positive progress being made on that front.
    Yeah the writers aren't A-list talent as well.

Krakoa seems like a bad idea but Hickman made it work.
    A god of Symbiotes was risky but cates made it work.

Also multiple writers will lead to inconsistencies in both character than tone.

And marvel in general messes stuff up and Ben is one of their biggest failures.

My main question about all this is how many of my fellow CBR posters who seemingly hate the idea of this are going to show up on the issue discussion threads to tell us about this idea they hate but are still reading it anyways???
    Not that person. I have no problems not discussing or buying issues if I’m not enjoying the content or at least hopeful that it will get better. I will never be that person that continuously collects something if they are not enjoying it on some level. That’s one of the main problems with comic fans and in particular Spider-Man fans. They complain, they moan, they cry and yet still shell out the money...so in essence all that effort spent complaining really amounted to nothing. Writers and companies get away with producing mediocrity because people never show their displeasure with their wallets.

I’ve already taken multiple breaks from comics because the material just stopped being entertaining. Take “Last Remains” for instance. Started out hot and I was singing it’s praises and little by little, the mediocrity, teasing and padded story telling started to take over. What started out fantastic turned into a disappointment. So what happened? Last Remains finishes and I stop posting here and buying any issues. A little time passes, things look a bit interesting and I’m back again.

Again it infuriates the hell out of me to see how willingly fans just accept what’s throw their way. Consistently complaining does nothing. Choosing not to spend money actually does something.

Shelling out money, Buying sucky content that you don’t enjoy, complaining about the material constantly and sticking through it doesn’t make you some “true” fan. It makes you a miserable clueless one.

Just my two cents...
    Last edited by RD155; 06-26-2021 at 12:22 PM.

BANNED

Here's the thing, when people do marketing/announcement nobody goes and tells the people who are excited and interested "wait for it to come out it might still disappoint you".

If it's all wait for the comic to come before judging it, that should apply equally to people who are excited and those who are cheesed out. Both have a reaction to something based on the concept without actually reading it. Now no company is actually gonna tell someone who's excited and happy "we might still suck" at the same time the company will always tell those who are skeptical to give them a chance, right.

So when you propose an idea in a period and context that provokes a divisive and polarizing response, that speaks to the idea and the task that the people executing that idea have set for themselves in overcoming skepticism and doubts. Some people of course will not be happy but you have to overcome resistance a sizable extent to form some kind of consensus right?

To reiterate I was skeptical about Spencer when he was announced. Even him bringing Peter/MJ didn't sway me at first. Spencer was to me "the Hydra Cap guy" and I didn't like the idea of someone with that baggage writing ASM. So Spencer had to overcome resistance.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Agreed, we should let people enjoy Ben.

But this is like a party for Peter when they killed(metaphorically for now, we'll see if it's literal) him and now are celebrating said murder for us Peter fans.

-Spiderfan, who just wants Peter to be the main character of his own book...

Queston. Are you against the concept of the replacement hero in general or just when it comes to Spider-Man? The part where i totally understand people being against this is from the perspective that Marvel as a whole has become too reliant on the trope of replacement heroes in recent years as i do think going to that well as much as they have recently is kinda lazy.

Extraordinary Member

Queston. Are you against the concept of the replacement hero in general or just when it comes to Spider-Man? The part where i totally understand people being against this is from the perspective that Marvel as a whole has become too reliant on the trope of replacement heroes in recent years as i do think going to that well as much as they have recently is kinda lazy.
    Well I don't mind heroes or even Spider-man being replaced but it needs to be done properly.

In Spider-man's case his legacy is to be the best hero there is in the future.Give me a couple hundred issues of him being actually a great character that he is and don't let bad writers mess him up.The thing is he already is there but writers just don't want to do it. Zdarsky's Spider-man in both DD and some parts of Spec. was perfect.
    Doesn't mean he won't fail, just write the story in a better manner.
    And let him have a respectful exit.

Now as for who takes up the mantle.Well Miles already did that once and it makes no sense to go back.Same with Ben. Ock didn't work either.
    Kaine is a bit to violent for Spider-man.I would say Miguel takes his place to keep the present safe.
    Also let him rest for a bit.Don't bring him back after 2 years .Minimum 5 and maximum 10 years.
    Don't mess with his supporting cast when he's dead.
    For e.x. don't have MJ hook up with someone else.They are married for life anyways and he is going to come back.Even if he doesn't in-universe they shouldn't mess that up.
    And make sure they don't do the "you're better than he ever was" B.S.(with any character).Respect them even when they are not in the title, specially when they are not there imo.

As for marvel they keep doing this(replacing character) and it's just getting worse.
    One of the other characters I enjoy a lot Danny Rand just got one of the worst exits in history.They disrespected his entire character in a few pages.
    Doc Strange is also going to die.
    So is Darkhawk.

These stories are risky as is but their execution is terrible.

I mean the only character that is safe from this and many other curses in comics is DD.
    The day someone like Slott or Aaron get their hands on that we will se an uproar.

I wonder if Carolyn Trainer will show up.

-Pav, who always enjoyed Ben's villains...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Here's the thing, when people do marketing/announcement nobody goes and tells the people who are excited and interested "wait for it to come out it might still disappoint you".

If it's all wait for the comic to come before judging it, that should apply equally to people who are excited and those who are cheesed out. Both have a reaction to something based on the concept without actually reading it. Now no company is actually gonna tell someone who's excited and happy "we might still suck" at the same time the company will always tell those who are skeptical to give them a chance, right.

So when you propose an idea in a period and context that provokes a divisive and polarizing response, that speaks to the idea and the task that the people executing that idea have set for themselves in overcoming skepticism and doubts. Some people of course will not be happy but you have to overcome resistance a sizable extent to form some kind of consensus right?

To reiterate I was skeptical about Spencer when he was announced. Even him bringing Peter/MJ didn't sway me at first. Spencer was to me "the Hydra Cap guy" and I didn't like the idea of someone with that baggage writing ASM. So Spencer had to overcome resistance.
    Exactly, it goes both ways.
    And the point of promos is so that people can form an opinion.
    But if you feel it's not good, wait for it to come out?
    If it looks good then it's all cool.
    The double standard is real

Mighty Member

I hope they bring back Judas Traveller, too. And maybe Spidercide. And give Kaine back his original costume. The Clone Saga was flawed but there are some great designs and characters with real potential. And Spidercide (who is neither great nor possessing great potential, but the name is awesome).
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

So, another pointless status quo change, huh?
    Don't get me wrong, I enjoy reading about Ben Reilly, and I'm all in - having him again in main Spider-Man book, but I'm really tired of this constant change, or more like illusion of change.

Just write about Peter punching a man with metal arms, giant lizards and other things, You don't have to constantly mindswap him or replace him with clones and stuff..

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dzika_Sowa View Post
    So, another pointless status quo change, huh?
    Don't get me wrong, I enjoy reading about Ben Reilly, and I'm all in - having him again in main Spider-Man book, but I'm really tired of this constant change, or more like illusion of change.

Just write about Peter punching a man with metal arms, giant lizards and other things, You don't have to constantly mindswap him or replace him with clones and stuff..
    This guy gets it

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

If it helps, she did appear in the Heroes Reborn one-shot "Peter Parker: The Amazing Shutterbug" while Peter was testing out his VR-piloted drone camera. Given her past association with VR technology, I thought it was a nice touch.
    The spider is always on the hunt.