Page 5 of 134 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Could definitely see this being a general line wide relaunch- something like Ahmed staying on Miles, Wells on a new Ben book, Gleason on a Peter book, Thompson on a SM team-up book and Ziglar on ... pick one of Kaine, Silk, Anya, or other.

Or Beyond is a HOXPOX style start to a new heavily-interconnected line of books
    Last edited by bob.schoonover; 06-23-2021 at 03:46 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by bob.schoonover View Post
    Could definitely see this being a line wide relaunch- something like Ahmed staying on Miles, Wells on a new Ben book, Gleason on a Peter book, Thompson on a SM team-up book and Ziglar on ... pick one of Kaine, Silk, Anya, or other
    They explicitly said "exciting new Amazing Spider-Man era".

Or Beyond is a HOXPOX style start to a new heavily-interconnected line of books
    HOX/POX was the work of a single writer.
    Last edited by Revolutionary_Jack; 06-23-2021 at 03:53 PM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    I am still of the opinion, and that is what it is opinion, that this is an AU story ( and one that actually looks exciting). While I have mentioned before that Peter needs a break ( maybe a six month timeline jump to simply rest his body ( and more importantly) his mind and get his doctorate and reconnect with MJ ( all of which can be done from one issue to the next)), That said, I would be shocked if Marvel decided to use Ben instead of Miles as a replacement Spider-Man and that lasted for more than one issue.
    That is why advocating for a Reign of Spider-Men storyline. It isn't just Ben, it's Ben, Miles, and whoever else they can get.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    I admit a bias against going back to BND style storytelling, but I don't think your comment precludes mine - Dawn of X is the name of the post-HOXPOX era without that appearing in any book title.
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Astonishing Member

It looks like you are correct and I was wrong. I just read the piece in Newsarama. I am really shocked that it is Ben and not Miles taking over ( unless Ahmad who is writing ASM and Miles wants it that way). If it is true, I hope Marvel takes advantage of the situation and gets Peter a vacation, his degree and his head fixed.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Ben Reilly is proof positive to how no matter how the wallet votes, a white male character will keep getting second chances over those who have proven themselves.

He failed and sunk the Clone Saga.
    The Clone Conspiracy was another failure and disappointment.
    And now here he comes as a star attraction for the interlude caretaker Spider-Event between Spencer's run and the one that comes next.

While Mayday Parker/Spider-Girl the first (and so far only) Marvel female superhero to reach 100 issues in an ongoing is indefinitely shelved even if she was the more successful story/character to come out of the 2nd Clone Saga.
    A stark point, even if I still have a soft spot for the character. Marvel might just be thinking, "Third time's the charm," although I'm thinking what motivates Marvel to keep trying with Ben Reilly is that he technically is "Peter Parker," only without what certain people at Marvel see as the "baggage" of Peter's marriage to/relationship with Mary Jane Watson and having gotten "too old" for the readership/fandom to still find "relatable." To put it another way, maybe, those people still labor under the ideal that if they could reset Peter Parker to before he got married (and perhaps before he graduated college or even high school), they would be spinning gold with him to this day.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Doesn't MJ have a ring on the promo art? What if they get engaged again (remember that's a thing in the current run) and he dies again because we can't have them married again at all costs lol

Astonishing Member

Ben Reilly is proof positive to how no matter how the wallet votes, a white male character will keep getting second chances over those who have proven themselves.
    Really…? You’re playing that card? You can like or hate the clone saga, but using Ben Reilly as a racial/gender wedge issue is pretty lame and uncalled for. Ben has fans, get over it. Besides, you act like he’s gotten a ton of love over the years; fact is, from the late 90s until the 2010s, and then again from 2018 until now…. Marvel barely mentioned or referenced him in any of its books. Which sucks for us Ben fans. We don’t get Ben news often, so please don’t rain on our parade.

He failed and sunk the Clone Saga.
    The Clone Conspiracy was another failure and disappointment.
    And now here he comes as a star attraction for the interlude caretaker Spider-Event between Spencer's run and the one that comes next.

While Mayday Parker/Spider-Girl the first (and so far only) Marvel female superhero to reach 100 issues in an ongoing is indefinitely shelved even if she was the more successful story/character to come out of the 2nd Clone Saga.
    Mayday isn't even a fetus yet.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by bob.schoonover View Post
    I admit a bias against going back to BND style storytelling,
    Agreed.

...but I don't think your comment precludes mine - Dawn of X is the name of the post-HOXPOX era without that appearing in any book title.
    Dawn of X refers to the entire line of titles revolving around X-Men including satellite titles, solo mutant titles, sub-teams and so on. All of them taking their marching orders from one person - Jonathan Hickman.

That's different from multiple writers working on ASM without any one chief writer calling the shots.

iMan 42s

Race card is bullshit. Dude's already Spider-man and even if he's not on the main book, the character's still a very successful Spider-man spin off unlike literally anybody else. Ben Reilly is fine and we all know this is temporary.

And frankly Ben fans deserve a do-over to get the character right because Scarlet didn't work and everything else has been damage control. It's Marvel's own Wally West and for once they're gonna get him right god damnit.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by transformers03 View Post
    Guys... Do you think Spider-Man will do their own Reign of the Superman storyline?

Peter dies or goes to hell or something to help cleanse his soul from the deal with Mephisto. Then several Spider-Men rise up to take over the mantle, each one offering a different perspective on being Spider-Man. Miles Morales and Ben Reilly are two of them, and it will lead to Amazing Spider-Man #900 with the return of Peter Parker!

They can also time it out to tie in with whatever Jason Aaron is doing with Mephisto in Avengers, somehow?

Not going to lie, I would love actually love a Reign of the Spider-Men storyline. I would totally eat that up.
    I don't know, but I'm having a lot of fun with the idea. Nice job.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    A stark point, even if I still have a soft spot for the character. Marvel might just be thinking, "Third time's the charm," although I'm thinking what motivates Marvel to keep trying with Ben Reilly is that he technically is "Peter Parker," only without what certain people at Marvel see as the "baggage" of Peter's marriage to/relationship with Mary Jane Watson and having gotten "too old" for the readership/fandom to still find "relatable." To put it another way, maybe, those people still labor under the ideal that if they could reset Peter Parker to before he got married (and perhaps before he graduated college or even high school), they would be spinning gold with him to this day.
    I have been constantly complaining about Peter in HS. But here I do not see it. There is already a teenaged Spider-Man and his name is Miles Morales. If Marvel really wanted to reboot AMAZING Spider-Man ( and I emphasize the word AMAZING as opposed to MCU, cartoons and other AU’s). they could have tried Miles in Amazing for a year and see how it goes. It is also not likely about MJ. Why? They also could have easily removed MJ from the book ( that has been done several times as well): I simply think Marvel has decided to give Peter a break. He has wanted one ever since ASM 50 ( Spider-Man No More). Would I have preferred a time jump or Miles? Yes. But for a change I am giving Marvel the benefit of the doubt and see how it goes with Ben

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    To put it another way, maybe, those people still labor under the ideal that if they could reset Peter Parker to before he got married (and perhaps before he graduated college or even high school), they would be spinning gold with him to this day.
    The problem is that Ben Reilly was created to be the original Peter Parker of AF#15 while the one readers had been following for 20 years (between ASM#150 to Michelinie's last issue) was some impostor. Essentially it amounted to saying that the Peter who romanced Mary Jane, then Felicia, who fought Juggernaut, met The Kid Who Collects Spider-Man, who fought Secret Wars, married MJ, survived Kraven's Last Hunt, fought Venom, wasn't the true Peter Parker. That was the evil purpose for which Ben Reilly was created.

The problem is that the Clonistas made a mess and they padded the story too long with the character as "Ben Reilly" in a blonde wig, with a "Scarlet Spider" sidekick identity for readers to accept him as "the one true Peter Parker". People like Ben Reilly as Nightwing to Spider-Man's Batman but that was absolutely not the purpose for his creation. And once they made a go with the switch, the audience stayed away in droves.Now of course in theory it could have worked, just like Lee and Kirby thawing Cap out of ice worked. When they did that, they told readers that the Cap they had been reading since the 40s, i.e. the Commie-Smashing one was some impostor (which Englehart canonized). It worked because that version of Cap was unpopular and forgotten. Ultimately it was a referendum and between "single Peter" and married Peter, audiences overwhelmingly voted for the married Peter. Only thing is people only listen to "votes with wallets" when the audience supports their prejudices and not when they don't. So they made another go with removing the marriage, and they keep giving Ben Reilly enough references that some young people might be led to believe he's some important figure in the mythos.

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Really…? You’re playing that card?
    Calling it as it is isn't playing the card.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    Race card is bullshit. Dude's already Spider-man
    No Miles Morales is. Ben Reilly's biggest period of success was when he was called "Scarlet Spider".

the character's still a very successful Spider-man spin off unlike literally anybody else.
    Reilly never had the success that Spider-Girl did, leave alone Miles Morales (Spider-Man's most successful legacy by far). Heck even Spider-Man 2099 (in publ. terms, Peter's first legacy) was more successful.

It's Marvel's own Wally West...
    Wally West actually headlined Flash for a decade plus and oversaw the Speed-Force mythos generated around him that's become central for the franchise.

That's not remotely comparable to Ben Reilly.

Ben Reilly never achieved even an inch of that. And people act as if he's in the same class as Wally West.

Remember Ben Reilly was only popular as Peter's sidekick and new best friend, never popular in the role and purpose he was created to be -- the one true Peter Parker. The minute writers put that story, audiences rejected Ben.
    Last edited by Revolutionary_Jack; 06-23-2021 at 04:35 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Really…? You’re playing that card? You can like or hate the clone saga, but using Ben Reilly as a racial/gender wedge issue is pretty lame and uncalled for. Ben has fans, get over it. Besides, you act like he’s gotten a ton of love over the years; fact is, from the late 90s until the 2010s, and then again from 2018 until now…. Marvel barely mentioned or referenced him in any of its books. Which sucks for us Ben fans. We don’t get Ben news often, so please don’t rain on our parade.
    Agreed. Pick your battles wisely. I don't see the issue here and I think it's unfair to attribute Ben's return to the fact that he is a white male.