Page 51 of 134 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561101 ... LastLast

We've had plenty of Peter is killed and replaced stories but I don't think we've got Peter is too injured to be Spider-Man and is replaced at least, so I hope that conceit gives it the room for a satisfying eventual return and recovery for Peter probably in 900.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
    We've had plenty of Peter is killed and replaced stories but I don't think we've got Peter is too injured to be Spider-Man and is replaced at least, so I hope that conceit gives it the room for a satisfying eventual return and recovery for Peter probably in 900.
    It's the same thing.Just than whenever the death happened we never got a funeral type story.
    It was always a secret or replaced.

I really hope half of this is peter fighting for his/ or his daughters soul or something.
    If it's full Ben then I doubt I will buy it

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    It's the same thing.Just than whenever the death happened we never got a funeral type story.
    It was always a secret or replaced.

I really hope half of this is peter fighting for his/ or his daughters soul or something.
    If it's full Ben then I doubt I will buy it
    It's a small difference but stuff can be done with it, yeah- I hope there is some sort of tracking of Peter fighting his way back from injury. Last time Ben took over Peter was depowered, and when Otto took over Peter was "dead."

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    Here is where it makes sense. New York still needs Spider-Man, but Peter is incapable of doing the job because he is banged up. I could also see JJJ exposing Peter as Spider-Man and MJ showing JJJ Peter in a hospital bed (with no costume ( easy enough to take off)) and Ben can show up as Spider-Man to trick JJJ. Peter going away could be like the ending of LA Confidential where a badly wounded Bud White ( Russell Crowe) goes away to Arizona with Lynn Bracken ( Kim Basinger) ps. Something I could go for, and Ed Exley ( Guy Pearce) takes over. Only difference is there it was permanent and here it is temporary ( maybe Peter in LA while MJ does her movie?).
    Jonah already knows Peter is Spider-Man, he admitted it in an issue of Zdarsky's Spectacular Spider-Man. Also, Jonah sees Peter as a little brother now, as his father Jay was married to Aunt May. He'd no longer want to out him.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
    It's a small difference but stuff can be done with it, yeah- I hope there is some sort of tracking of Peter fighting his way back from injury. Last time Ben took over Peter was depowered, and when Otto took over Peter was "dead."
    My point is when Cap dies or something they have a whole things.Peter has gone through this so many times but we still haven't gotten that.

I didn't mean track his physical illness.I meant have his soul be trapped somewhere in another realm and have him fight his way out of this.Split the book in half and half.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Jonah already knows Peter is Spider-Man, he admitted it in an issue of Zdarsky's Spectacular Spider-Man. Also, Jonah sees Peter as a little brother now, as his father Jay was married to Aunt May. He'd no longer want to out him.
    Jonah was mad at Peter last we saw him and talked about getting a new hero.
    But I doubt he went this far

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Jonah already knows Peter is Spider-Man, he admitted it in an issue of Zdarsky's Spectacular Spider-Man. Also, Jonah sees Peter as a little brother
    J now, as his father Jay was married to Aunt May. He'd no longer want to out him.
    JJJ is a very jealous and vindictive person, and if Peter would do anything to aggravate him, I can easily see him saying something. Of course, if Peter is near death, that can change attitudes or as I said earlier JJJ can be tricked. What I really do not want to see is Peter die and get replaced yet again. Obviously because we can be 99.999% certain he will return. But Especially because the attitude of Marvel is the Dan Slott run sucked ( rightly or wrongly), and most things must be eliminated, so why redo Superior but with Ben? That makes absolutely no sense.
    Last edited by NC_Yankee; 07-02-2021 at 06:15 AM.

I've been thinking about the motives of the creative teams a little bit more.

If Zeb Wells came up with a Ben Reilly story set while Peter recovers, it's clear why he would be okay writing the book for a little while even if the endgame is Peter's return and a new creative team.

If Patrick Gleason was supposed to draw the book, and was interested in writing more, it makes sense why he's on-board.

Cody Ziglar is relatively obscure in comics.

But why would Kelly Thompson and Saladin Ahmed, two respected comics writer, sign up for a temporary Ben Reilly story?

This is part of why I wouldn't be surprised if the creative teams are more long-term.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    SNIP
    But why would Kelly Thompson and Saladin Ahmed, two respected comics writer, sign up for a temporary Ben Reilly story?

This is part of why I wouldn't be surprised if the creative teams are more long-term.
    Either that, or there will be quite an event associated with this run that gives them both space to write something big and worthy. One might imagine Ahmed is there both to write Ben and to tie-in Miles to the happenings, for example. I'd really enjoy a series of one-shots or whatever that explore everyone interacting with both Ben as Spider-man and Peter as a rehabilitation patient - Miles, for example, could have quite the reaction to seeing his predecessor going through a long struggle. I'm absolutely certain that whatever is coming will be more than 25 issues, whether that means an extended run as you say or a bunch of extra stuff as I do.
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Extraordinary Member

If Zeb Wells came up with a Ben Reilly story set while Peter recovers, it's clear why he would be okay writing the book for a little while even if the endgame is Peter's return and a new creative team.

If Patrick Gleason was supposed to draw the book, and was interested in writing more, it makes sense why he's on-board.

Because it won't keep them from their projects for 2 long.
    And because while they are respected they are not A-list which I think is what marvel wants for ASM.
    They are perfect for a placeholder run but one which is gonna be "eventful" instead of status quo like.
    I do think they will put all the characters back in place after they are done for the next team.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by bob.schoonover View Post
    Either that, or there will be quite an event associated with this run that gives them both space to write something big and worthy. One might imagine Ahmed is there both to write Ben and to tie-in Miles to the happenings, for example. I'd really enjoy a series of one-shots or whatever that explore everyone interacting with both Ben as Spider-man and Peter as a rehabilitation patient - Miles, for example, could have quite the reaction to seeing his predecessor going through a long struggle. I'm absolutely certain that whatever is coming will be more than 25 issues, whether that means an extended run as you say or a bunch of extra stuff as I do.
    Extra stuff maybe.
    But Peter is coming back at 900.
    Maybe they continue but I doubt it.
    I hope we get an A-list team

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Because it won't keep them from their projects for 2 long.
    And because while they are respected they are not A-list which I think is what marvel wants for ASM.
    They are perfect for a placeholder run but one which is gonna be "eventful" instead of status quo like.
    I do think they will put all the characters back in place after they are done for the next team.
    Those are reasons Marvel might choose them, not reasons either would say yes, which was Mr Mets' point. Ahmed and Thompson both have enough cachet at Marvel not to feel obligated to pull grunt work jobs
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

I saw Nick Lowe tell a fan on twitter that Miles was planned to be part of Beyond from the beginning. So I guess it's possible there is a lot more to this than just Ben Reilly.

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    I saw Nick Lowe tell a fan on twitter that Miles was planned to be part of Beyond from the beginning. So I guess it's possible there is a lot more to this than just Ben Reilly.
    That would explain Saladin Ahmed's role.

It still seems like a lot of people for a filler mega-arc about a different lead.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by bob.schoonover View Post
    Those are reasons Marvel might choose them, not reasons either would say yes, which was Mr Mets' point. Ahmed and Thompson both have enough cachet at Marvel not to feel obligated to pull grunt work jobs
    I would agree but it's ASM.Grunt work at ASM is still a good place to be.