Page 54 of 134 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864104 ... LastLast

Comics are fun. I like reading them.

-Pav, who enjoys the hobby...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
    Just thinking about this here, Spidey's pretty much had the equivalent of comics out almost weekly for about how long? We got Marvel Team-Up and Spectacular as the B-books in the 70s, then Web of replaced Team-Up and we added adjectiveless in the 90s so there was pretty much always a stream of 3 to 4 books for a while now.

I miss the days of the B-titles being a reliable source for Marvel to get their monthly Spidey book quota. I know they like having more Amazing now since BND where they figured anything called "Amazing" sells more than the other books because people think it's more important.

The B-titles had a lot of room for innovation and room to tell stories you typically wouldn't find in the main book that could add a lot to the characters, or even big events. I'm thinking things like JMD's Spectacular runs with focus on side characters, the Harry Osborn saga, the symbiote bell-tower scene in Web of, McFarlane's huge selling solo turn, Paul Jenkins great Peter Parker: Spider-Man/Spectacular runs. You could even count Ultimate, which brought a lot of lasting impacts to the table, even selling more than Amazing at a point in the early 2000s.

I dunno. I like whenever we see things like Spectacular or Friendly Neighborhood come back for "extended mini-series" periods because they always have some memorable different kinds of takes (My Dinner With Jonah, Amazing Fantasy, Spider-Bite, the MJ FNSM issue are all recent B-title highlights for me).
    I actually like that they condensed all of Spidey's stories into one book. That always makes things easier to read.

Those Spectacular and Friendly Neighborhood types stories should be able to happen in Amazing too. I don't know why they can't.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Exactly.
    Just give us peter being amazing like in most of JMS era.
    Nah. He got his ass kicked a lot in those books too. I really don't see why they're so special.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Nah. He got his ass kicked a lot in those books too. I really don't see why they're so special.
    Because he always got back up.

I mean the Morlun fight is him just getting his butt handed to him for the most part and is still amazing.
    That and it has great stories in general.The school teacher stuff, the digger and the Aunt May talk, Morlun, School shooting, and talking down the kid with the gun and the are from the top of my head.

Astonishing Member

Because he always got back up.

I mean the Morlun fight is him just getting his butt handed to him for the most part and is still amazing.
    That and it has great stories in general.The school teacher stuff, the digger and the Aunt May talk, Morlun, School shooting, and talking down the kid with the gun and the are from the top of my head.
    That's literally every Spider-Man story in existence. It's not special.

Not to mention the Morlun and Ezekiel stuff was poorly handled. I didn't like how Aunt May found out either.

Extraordinary Member

Not to mention the Morlun and Ezekiel stuff was poorly handled. I didn't like how Aunt May found out either.
    Not really.Slott and BND in general are not doing the getting up part well.

The Morlun stuff isn't for everyone and I do see why, I love it though.

Aunt May finding out that way makes the most sense.And how they handled it was *chef's kiss*

I feel like Slott had some great ideas, but executed them rather poorly.

JMS on the other hand, had more mystic stuff, but the execution was really great. Not all people liked totems thought and let's not go to Sins Past or that one more... Story.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

"I get knocked down, but I get up again! You're never gonna keep me down!"
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dzika_Sowa View Post
    I feel like Slott had some great ideas, but executed them rather poorly.

JMS on the other hand, had more mystic stuff, but the execution was really great. Not all people liked totems thought and let's not go to Sins Past or that one more... Story.
    SP was not half bad tbh. The editors ruined that and should never get to touch a comic book again.
    I agree with the rest.
    JMS did have some grounded stuff as well, but execution was the best for all of it.

Astonishing Member

SP was not half bad tbh. The editors ruined that and should never get to touch a comic book again.
    I agree with the rest.
    JMS did have some grounded stuff as well, but execution was the best for all of it.
    OMD definitely deserves the fan scorn. But I've never had a issue with Sins Past that others have. Did it do dirty by Gwen? Possibly. But I just love the fact it made Norman even more of a bastard than he already was and gave added dimension to him targeting Gwen (when he could have gone after anybody else close to Peter).

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    OMD definitely deserves the fan scorn. But I've never had a issue with Sins Past that others have. Did it do dirty by Gwen? Possibly. But I just love the fact it made Norman even more of a bastard than he already was and gave added dimension to him targeting Gwen (when he could have gone after anybody else close to Peter).
    That's because(and I'm making an assumption here so let me know if I'm wrong) you don't seem to care about Gwen?.It didn't "do her dirty" it ruined her character.
    Also Norman was already deranged, he stole their kid and burned the face of flash just cause among hundreds of other things?This just makes him a pedophile and much worse.
    Also affects MJ since she lied to Peter for so many years even after Gwen was gone.That kind of trust will never be formed again.
    And ruined Peter's memories and he will have trauma trusting MJ again or having kids.

It's a horrible story because it ruins the legacy of a dead character and dragging everyone else down.It worse than the sh*ttist fan fic ever written.The story was also changed by editors so had nothing to do with JMS.And I would much rather have Spider-man Blue.

And also few canon inconsistencies.And I'm convinced sure Gwen was Peter's first(they just used protection so don't bring up the "we never" stuff from SP, he meant never did it without).

F*ck Sins Past.F*ck the F*ing f*ck out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Ben Reilly is proof positive to how no matter how the wallet votes, a white male character will keep getting second chances over those who have proven themselves.

He failed and sunk the Clone Saga.
    The Clone Conspiracy was another failure and disappointment.
    And now here he comes as a star attraction for the interlude caretaker Spider-Event between Spencer's run and the one that comes next.

While Mayday Parker/Spider-Girl the first (and so far only) Marvel female superhero to reach 100 issues in an ongoing is indefinitely shelved even if she was the more successful story/character to come out of the 2nd Clone Saga.
    In comics, a lot of characters get second chances. That's the way it goes.

It is worth noting that the creative team is diverse. The writers include a woman, a black man and an Arab American.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    In comics, a lot of characters get second chances. That's the way it goes.

It is worth noting that the creative team is diverse. The writers include a woman, a black man and an Arab American.
    This.I don't understand how Ben coming back is him being a white male.

Also characters like Miles had terrible first runs and were given so many chances(I will elaborate on this if you want but i'd rather do it in PM since this isn't the thread).Same with Carol Danvers(same for this).

If anything it's nostalgia baiting since this probably won't last and makes a quick buck from Ben fans.

Astonishing Member

That's because(and I'm making an assumption here so let me know if I'm wrong) you don't seem to care about Gwen?.It didn't "do her dirty" it ruined her character.
    Also Norman was already deranged, he stole their kid and burned the face of flash just cause among hundreds of other things?This just makes him a pedophile and much worse.
    Also affects MJ since she lied to Peter for so many years even after Gwen was gone.That kind of trust will never be formed again.
    And ruined Peter's memories and he will have trauma trusting MJ again or having kids.

It's a horrible story because it ruins the legacy of a dead character and dragging everyone else down.It worse than the sh*ttist fan fic ever written.The story was also changed by editors so had nothing to do with JMS.And I would much rather have Spider-man Blue.

And also few canon inconsistencies.And I'm convinced sure Gwen was Peter's first(they just used protection so don't bring up the "we never" stuff from SP, he meant never did it without).

F*ck Sins Past.F*ck the F*ing f*ck out of it.
    I don't dislike Gwen, nor do I love her. I am pretty much indifferent. The wholesome image thing around her often made her appear 2 dimensional. That's why I prefer MJ because she had some character/depth. That's just my personal preference.

As for Norman? The worse a villain is, the better. This story just added another level of bitterness between the pair. It goes well beyond a simple "tit for tat" merry-go-round between a hero and villain. This is personal and It is twisted.

Yes, the truth thing is a big issue. That I will give you. The story could have been done without that.

And Spider-man Blue is a great story and the first where I did gain a appreciation of Gwen.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    I don't dislike Gwen, nor do I love her. I am pretty much indifferent. The wholesome image thing around her often made her appear 2 dimensional. That's why I prefer MJ because she had some character/depth. That's just my personal preference.

As for Norman? The worse a villain is, the better. This story just added another level of bitterness between the pair. It goes well beyond a simple "tit for tat" merry-go-round between a hero and villain. This is personal and It is twisted.

Yes, the truth thing is a big issue. That I will give you. The story could have been done without that.

And Spider-man Blue is a great story and the first where I did gain a appreciation of Gwen.
    I prefer MJ but Gwen works as 2-D.To me Gwen and Peter are just teenagers in love.Her death is a realization that stuff like that doesn't always come out on top.It's like the main ship of the Anime protaganist dying.
    MJ to me is the perfect love interest, she is affected by Gwen's death in a way that makes her realize that her party girl act is something she can't hide behind forever.It helps her grow into a 3-D character with so much depth.She stays with Peter to help him through this even though he insulted her.And gets ready to be involved in a serious relationship.

So should Joker F Catwoman to be better.This is just false.Gwen works as the (semi)innocent love interest who dies, that's the beauty of her story.Read anything between Norman and Peter and it's much more deep than "tit-for-tat".Stuff like Peter Parker:Spider-man vol 2 47 shows this.

And you are trying to find a deep meaning or purpose of a story when this was not the writers intent.Norman was never supposed to be the father, Peter was.

And even if it works(which imo it doesn't, now he's just a pedo) you are sacrificing so much.Not only is Gwen's character destroyed, Peter's and MJ's character arc is ruined.

Seriously if they didn't ignore this story for most of canon Peter would never trust MJ ever again.Hell he would never want to be in a relationship ever again and kids are out the window.

Again they are ruining a dead character's legacy and dragging everyone else down as well.
    And stories like Spider-man Blue are ruined.

The point of Gwen is the first love-interest that died.MJ is the endgame.

There is a reason that when he thinks about Gwen he doesn't think about this, it's a way to stealth retcon and I hate that Spencer tried to bring this up and I hope he makes up for it by resolving it.

Imo retcon it to be mysterio stuff, his tech can make it plausible.
    Ot just have deadpool do some stuff and blow the story from reality.