Page 6 of 134 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    They explicitly said "exciting new Amazing Spider-Man era".
    At least to me, saying "new ASM era" also has a slight implication that it's more than just the ASM comic.

ASM is the flagship comic for the Spider-Man line, saying it's a new era for it also means a new era for the rest of the line. Think about how they marketed Big Time at it's moment, it was a "new era for ASM" which also came accompanied with other comics, Spider-Girl, Osborn and Carnage.

Everything does point out we will be getting a rotating set of writers, but I wouldn't discard that some new spin-offs might also be announced written by these writers.

Incredible Member Unspeakable Evil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Chan View Post
    At least to me, saying "new ASM era" also has a slight implication that it's more than just the ASM comic.

ASM is the flagship comic for the Spider-Man line, saying it's a new era for it also means a new era for the rest of the line. Think about how they marketed Big Time at it's moment, it was a "new era for ASM" which also came accompanied with other comics, Spider-Girl, Osborn and Carnage.

Everything does point out we will be getting a rotating set of writers, but I wouldn't discard that some new spin-offs might also be announced written by these writers.
    I’m curious if this could also be a Spider-Man family book with a rotating set of of characters as well

Calling it as it is isn't playing the card.
    You're not calling it as it is. Both Ben and Mayday are white. Maybe you'd have had some semblance of a point if you were championing for Miles, but he's had a steady ongoing for a few years now, unlike Ben Reilly. It makes zero sense for Mayday to take over the title. She doesn't even exist to our knowledge.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Johnatellodi View Post
    I don't see the issue here and I think it's unfair to attribute Ben's return to the fact that he is a white male.
    The issues and assumptions of white male privilege are often invisible and subterranean, and one can well ask why a character who has never achieved the success that Spider-Man 2099, Spider-Girl, Miles Morales to name a few gets to headline an event storyline in Marvel's most prestigious title despite multiple failures.

People calling Ben Reilly Peter' Wally West forgetting he never had the success that Wally did...as if somehow Miles Morales isn't in fact the most successful legacy Peter had, by far.

Quote Originally Posted by Superboy-Prime View Post
    You're not calling it as it is. Both Ben and Mayday are white.
    I said clearly:

Ben Reilly is proof positive to how no matter how the wallet votes, a white male character will keep getting second chances over those who have proven themselves.

Astonishing Member

For someone who doesn’t care for Ben Reilly, you sure talk about him a lot. So let’s address a couple things: a) in pretending Ben has some BS white privilege you ignore the fact that Miles Morales has been given 2 (or 3?) long-running solo books that have never had a sustained interruption over an entire decade (almost unheard of for new mainstream comic heroes), plus a prominent starring role in the Spidey video games, and while May hasn’t had the same success… she was also given multiple chances and had two runs combining almost 150 issues, despite sales always being super low. I know, because I was a Mayday fan and saw the sales figures and witnessed the multiple reprieves she got (also over a period of a decade). And b) you don’t even know what this story is about and you’re already using it as an excuse to dump on Ben. We’ve had 5 cryptic images released that could mean anything. Now I personally hope he plays a large role as I like him, but it could all be a bit of a red herring at this point. So with all that said, you frankly just come off as someone with a huge axe to grind against this character. I’m not a fan of, say, Spider-Gwen, but I barely talk about her, if at all. I’ve seen you on many occasions talk about how much you hate Ben… probably more than most fans talk about how much they like him.

I just like every Spider-person, but I do have a soft spot for Ben. Those JMD written mini-series are wonderful and he had some great showings in the past. I like the conceit of "you're the same person but are you really the same person if you've lived radically different experiences?" There's a great Aeon Flux episode to that effect.

I said clearly:
    Yeah, my response was pretty clear as well. 1. It's The Amazing Spider-Man. 2. Mayday isn't even in the womb yet. 3. Miles already has his own title. They could've given him ASM, but his solo ongoing is doing just as well. It's fun to spotlight other characters.
    Last edited by Superboy-Prime; 06-23-2021 at 04:52 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    For someone who doesn’t care for Ben Reilly, you sure talk about him a lot.
    A lot of people who dislike Trump or Nazism talk about Trump and Nazis. That doesn't mean they like them a lot. Okay...bad example, I don't literally want to equate Ben Reilly with that. But a lot of people complain about OMD but that doesn't mean they like OMD either.

...you don’t even know what this story is about and you’re already using it as an excuse to dump on Ben.
    That's fair.

At the same time, I am tired of people normalizing the Clone Saga and papering and sentimentalizing its flaws. And as a fan of Miles, I am profoundly jaded and skeptical about some long-gone blonde boy coming in as some come-lately usurper.

That happened to Jon Stewart who became "the" Green Lantern for a generation of kids and then they brought back Hal Jordan and kept him even if the movie with him failed so badly that freaking Aquaman showed up in Justice League rather than him.

Hal Jordan gets numerous second chances whereas if a black character succeeds even once he's still not going to get enough.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    Race card is bullshit. Dude's already Spider-man and even if he's not on the main book, the character's still a very successful Spider-man spin off unlike literally anybody else. Ben Reilly is fine and we all know this is temporary.

And frankly Ben fans deserve a do-over to get the character right because Scarlet didn't work and everything else has been damage control. It's Marvel's own Wally West and for once they're gonna get him right god damnit.
    I'm not saying Ben doesn't deserve another chance to shine, it would just feel...kind of out-of-nowhere at this point? At least to me.
    That's fair.

At the same time, I am tired of people normalizing the Clone Saga and papering and sentimentalizing its flaws. And as a fan of Miles, I am profoundly jaded and skeptical about some long-gone blonde boy coming in as some come-lately usurper.

That happened to Jon Stewart who became "the" Green Lantern for a generation of kids and then they brought back Hal Jordan and kept him even if the movie with him failed so badly that freaking Aquaman showed up in Justice League rather than him.

Hal Jordan gets numerous second chances whereas if a black character succeeds even once he's still not going to get enough.
    This doesn't really effect Miles at all. He has his own concurrent Spider-Man title and doesn't have anything to do with Peter's baggage that someone who succeeds Peter would actually need to deal with.

Astonishing Member

A lot of people who dislike Trump or Nazism talk about Trump and Nazis. That doesn't mean they like them a lot. Okay...bad example, I don't literally want to equate Ben Reilly with that. But a lot of people complain about OMD but that doesn't mean they like OMD either.
    “Normalizing”, “Trump”, “Nazism”… dude, are you even reading what you’re writing? It’s off the wall. Ben is a non-political comic character from the 90s. Yes, you’re right, it’s a bad example. And you’re aware of that. So why even write it?

Are you kidding me? In my previous post, I forgot to mention the biggest marker of Miles’ success. A huge blockbuster film in ‘Into the Spiderverse.’ That, coupled with starring roles in all the videogames and a strong solo series and regular guest spots in Peter’s book as well, including being plastered all over the covers for the September solicits, and I’m not sure what you’re complaining about. You sound greedy. You have a whole cake and we’re just looking for a few crumbs. Plus, “usurper”? Not for nothing, but Ben predates Miles by decades.

Personally, I preferred his stint on ‘The Daily Show.’

Jokes aside, if you want to talk about GL, I’m sure there’s a GL board. And a place to discuss Trump and whatever else is on your mind.

Incredible Member

I wonder, going on from that Image of Peter and MJ, if Peter gets hurt and put in a coma or something, so we have Ben pretending to be Peter in his place while Peter heals, pretending to be Peter so no one is any of the wiser that Peter/Spider-Man connection.

Ugh. I hope not. I’ve wanted a Ben book for ages, to pick up with his own cast and his own adventures. Maybe this could be Marvels way of setting him up again, to get popular as A Spider-Man, before eventually putting back as the Scarlet Spider down the road, like how they did with Sam Wilson going to Cap, and then back to Falcon.

Gotta love how everyone pretty quickly forgot about the Beyond Corporation's involvement in the plot, lol.

Gotta love how everyone pretty quickly forgot about the Beyond Corporation's involvement in the plot, lol.
    never heard of them what are they known for?
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Wasn't the Beyond Corporation revealed as a front for some kind of interdimensional abomination in Al Ewing's Mighty Avengers? Maybe that'll come into play.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

If this is a Brand New Day situation, I believe that makes Kelly Thompson the first woman writer to have any extended run on the main Amazing title.
    Pull List:
    - Action Comics
    - Moon Knight