Page 93 of 134 FirstFirst ... 4383899091929394959697103 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,395 of 2004

For anyone that wants to know more about Janine and don't want to take the task of reading the entirety of the Clone Saga, read Lost Years and Redemption by DeMatteis. The bulk of her characther is there and those are the best Ben Reilly stories IMO, so you can expect some decent quality even if gets a bit heavy, the implications of Janine past...are very harsh, like Vermin levels of harsh if memory serves.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    For anyone that wants to know more about Janine and don't want to take the task of reading the entirety of the Clone Saga, read Lost Years and Redemption by DeMatteis. The bulk of her characther is there and those are the best Ben Reilly stories IMO, so you can expect some decent quality even if gets a bit heavy, the implications of Janine past...are very harsh, like Vermin levels of harsh if memory serves.
    I've seen a lot of people recommend those stories, going to do that now actually.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    Gotta hand it to the Beyond staff, they really indulged long time readers with that Janine backup story.
    Of course it was, you can't put a price on reader loyalty

Mighty Member

Can I just throw in my two cents on the Beyond backup in ASM74? I loved it. Janine! I absolutely adore the fact that they acknowledge the Elizabeth Tyne name, but then toss it out the window. This felt like the kind of thing I was hoping for from PAD in the end and never got. Please tell me this means she's going to be part of the supporting cast!? Ben needs a solid supporting cast to help him gain traction, beyond just Kaine anyway. I wonder if we'll get more familiar Spider-Ben era support players in the mix.

Ben, how I've missed you.

Also, Beyond Corp isn't playing games. They want their hooks deep. The other shoe is waiting to drop, and seeing Ben's response is going to be fascinating. What happens when Beyond uses their leverage to try and force him to do something he knows is wrong? I kind of feel like he'll buckle, at least at first. Spidey vs Spidey perhaps? This poses questions and problems that I'm legitimately looking forward to seeing develop.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    So Ben has his own MJ? And she’s named “Janine”? that’s a little on the nose. Have Janine and MJ met?
    The Clone Saga loved to use MJ-esque, red haired women to tease how similar Ben and Peter were. Firestar fell into the same category in some ways.

Throw in Annabelle Adams (Kaine's love interest from his Scarlet Spider series) and it seems those Parker boys have a type.
    Last edited by ZeroBG82; 09-30-2021 at 12:09 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    Can I just throw in my two cents on the Beyond backup in ASM74? I loved it. Janine! I absolutely adore the fact that they acknowledge the Elizabeth Tyne name, but then toss it out the window. This felt like the kind of thing I was hoping for from PAD in the end and never got. Please tell me this means she's going to be part of the supporting cast!? Ben needs a solid supporting cast to help him gain traction, beyond just Kaine anyway. I wonder if we'll get more familiar Spider-Ben era support players in the mix.

Ben, how I've missed you.

Also, Beyond Corp isn't playing games. They want their hooks deep. The other shoe is waiting to drop, and seeing Ben's response is going to be fascinating. What happens when Beyond uses their leverage to try and force him to do something he knows is wrong? I kind of feel like he'll buckle, at least at first. Spidey vs Spidey perhaps? This poses questions and problems that I'm legitimately looking forward to seeing develop.

The Clone Saga loved to use MJ-esque, red haired women to tease how similar Ben and Peter were. Firestar fell into the same category in some ways.

Throw in Annabelle Adams (Kaine's love interest from his Scarlet Spider series) and it seems those Parker boys have a type.
    Janine seems cool.

And Beyond Corp couldn't be more blatantly evil if they tried,I feel Janine is going to call them on their BS and will tell Ben to snap out of it.
    Well he's fighting Miles, or should I say hunting so I'd say a lot.Spidey vs Spidey, not the real Spidey but still.
    Does Ben have any friends he very close w/, that Beyond may use against him.

Also the foam polymer suit may be rigged, heck Janine may be rigged.

Seems...... cheap.Like it works as a gag but you're supposed to make them different, specially Ben.

Is Kaine in beyond in some capacity? I hope they won't revert him back to being an antagonist. He's still Scarlet Spider to me.

Janine and Ben short comic gave me more feels than the whole Kindred Saga. I still can't believe this is happening... Ben as Spider-Man, Janine out of prison and they're back together? Now I only want Annabelle Adams to come back to Kaine's life (and for clone brothers to finnaly make peace), the perfect icing on the cake. Give them Spiders some well deserved love!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    Janine and Ben short comic gave me more feels than the whole Kindred Saga. I still can't believe this is happening... Ben as Spider-Man, Janine out of prison and they're back together? Now I only want Annabelle Adams to come back to Kaine's life (and for clone brothers to finnaly make peace), the perfect icing on the cake. Give them Spiders some well deserved love!
    Do you mean Spencer's entire run?Because if so this is nostalgia speaking.Nothing wrong w/ that,just saying....

As for Spider-bros, yes please.The 2(3) of them need to be on good terms regardless if Ben is a tricked hero or full corporate shill.I'm still pissed editorial cut Ben out of Spencer's run in Last remains.He the one who's actually like family to Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by Dzika_Sowa View Post
    Is Kaine in beyond in some capacity? I hope they won't revert him back to being an antagonist. He's still Scarlet Spider to me.
    He hasn't been shown yet.But Miles,Ock and others like Kraven and Morbius are also in this run so I think he will be.Keep your eyes peeled for solicitations(they usually come around the 20th of each month)

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Do you mean Spencer's entire run?Because if so this is nostalgia speaking.Nothing wrong w/ that,just saying....

Well, the start of Spencer's run was great and I really liked it. The ending was... Ugh. Everything and nothing at the same time. Kindred thing was overextended and dragged, at first I was really curious about Kindred persona, but after some time I just got bored. The ending is a mess. I get what Spencer was trying to do and he probably was stopped by some higher ups but it's still a mess.

Nostalgia? Maybe. You would react the same if your favourite character get some love from Marvel. And I bet you are going to feel this way when Peter comes back as Spider-Man.

Extraordinary Member

Well, the start of Spencer's run was great and I really liked it. The ending was... Ugh. Everything and nothing at the same time. Kindred thing was overextended and dragged, at first I was really curious about Kindred persona, but after some time I just got bored. The ending is a mess. I get what Spencer was trying to do and he probably was stopped by some higher ups but it's still a mess.

Nostalgia? Maybe. You would react the same if your favourite character get some love from Marvel. And I bet you are going to feel this way when Peter comes back as Spider-Man.
    The entire run includes PeterMJ being a couple again and wrote the heck out of them when he could, Black Cat being herself again, Peter and MJ being themselves again as solo characters, all of Hunted(specially Kraven) and that's like the first 12-18 issues.He's written them in character and a done a great job at it for the whole run, that in in of itself is amazing after decades of BND.Also retconned Sins Past and stealth broke OMD.That and I've read all ASM and I actually understood most of it(I've re-read quite a bit too), so I'm sure that helped.

Yeah, I'd say Janine's coming back is what I would compare to Peter coming back in Superior.I wouldn't say it's better than an entire run that has great characterization though.Also is Janine your fav?I would have guessed Reilly.

As for Peter coming back here, he's gone for like 6-8 issues and then is in a bedridden/non-mobile so not really.They tease he's back but as many have pointed out it looks like he can't stand and is getting beat by street thugs.....
    Seems like a one step forward two steps back kinda thing, specially since it's issue 82/83 and I imagine this goes one till around 99/100.It has potential and some writers like Zeb can do it, but his issues are written by Saladin and Patrick respectively.Saladin is avg. to from what I've read(he's not had a high that I can remember, he's the most mediocre writer I've read in a while.) on his Miles and Patrick has done some Supes work IIRC but I don't know how that was(he hasn't written a lot).
    Last edited by Spiderfan001; 09-30-2021 at 04:14 AM.

The entire run includes PeterMJ being a couple again and wrote the heck out of them when he could, Black Cat being herself again, Peter and MJ being themselves again as solo characters, all of Hunted(specially Kraven) and that's like the first 12-18 issues.He's written them in character and a done a great job at it for the whole run, that in in of itself is amazing after decades of BND.Also retconned Sins Past and stealth broke OMD.That and I've read all ASM and I actually understood most of it(I've re-read quite a bit too), so I'm sure that helped.
    Yes, I agree, I meant Kindred specifically (as a character, as a villain, his words and actions behind the scenes - all boring to me after some time), not the whole run. The non-Kindred things and characters written "in character" from Spencer are fine.

Yeah, I'd say Janine's coming back is what I would compare to Peter coming back in Superior.I wouldn't say it's better than an entire run that has great characterization though.Also is Janine your fav?I would have guessed Reilly.
    I may have wrote it wrong, sorry. I like Janine, but my fav is Ben.

Extraordinary Member

Yes, I agree, I meant Kindred specifically (as a character, as a villain, his words and actions behind the scenes - all boring to me after some time), not the whole run. The non-Kindred things and characters written "in character" from Spencer are fine.

I may have wrote it wrong, sorry. I like Janine, but my fav is Ben.
    Oh okay.I can agree w/ that.

No problem, the back up has me excited for Janine, she's already seeing through Beyond Corp.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    nice the wiki page about her is literally only two big paragraphs
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

BANNED

I've read a theory somewhere that I think is plausible (i.e. can actually happen) even if I am certain I will dislike it should it actually happen.

Basically, Ben/Janine in BEYOND will get married at the end and Mephisto's vision is in fact their kid, that the BEYOND series ends with Ben as the married Spider-Man retired to Portland, as part of Marvel's tendency to parcel out Spider-Man's development to other characters.

Since BND, Marvel has siphoned stuff that happened with Peter to other characters consistently. So it might be how BEYOND plays out. Complete with Ben proposing to Janine using the ring in Spencer's continuity.

Marvel will also sell Peter becoming "Uncle" to Ben and Janine's kid as the 'natural progression'. Heck it might even be retconned in that Janine already has a child since her long absence and that over the course of BEYOND Ben learns this.

Peter can't have a kid out of wedlock but Ben Reilly can maybe, and it ends with Peter becoming "Uncle" which Marvel will sell as a natural progression.

I can basically hear the self-congratulation already. Complete with a feint of Peter proposing to MJ but at the last moment he gives the ring to Ben and they get married.

Marvel will sell this as the OMD resolution and say they've laid the marriage question to rest this way.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    I've read a theory somewhere that I think is plausible (i.e. can actually happen) even if I am certain I will dislike it should it actually happen.

Basically, Ben/Janine in BEYOND will get married at the end and Mephisto's vision is in fact their kid, that the BEYOND series ends with Ben as the married Spider-Man retired to Portland, as part of Marvel's tendency to parcel out Spider-Man's development to other characters.

Since BND, Marvel has siphoned stuff that happened with Peter to other characters consistently. So it might be how BEYOND plays out. Complete with Ben proposing to Janine using the ring in Spencer's continuity.

Marvel will also sell Peter becoming "Uncle" to Ben and Janine's kid as the 'natural progression'. Heck it might even be retconned in that Janine already has a child since her long absence and that over the course of BEYOND Ben learns this.

Peter can't have a kid out of wedlock but Ben Reilly can maybe, and it ends with Peter becoming "Uncle" which Marvel will sell as a natural progression.

I can basically hear the self-congratulation already. Complete with a feint of Peter proposing to MJ but at the last moment he gives the ring to Ben and they get married.

Marvel will sell this as the OMD resolution and say they've laid the marriage question to rest this way.
    I do not see that happening. My own prediction is OMD will go away on ASM 1000, and possibly they will retire Peter and send Miles to Amazing.