Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Didn't Bruce Timm win an award for his Wonder Woman?
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Don't know, don't care.

If it's talking specifically about the Justice League TV show by Bruce Timm and Paul Dini then I can somewhat agree. However, I feel "blueprint" implies too strong an influence. I think "draws inspiration from" would be more appropriate to how it should and should have been done.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Don't know, don't care.
    Rather ignorant, no?
    Last edited by Citizen Kane; 06-23-2021 at 04:53 PM.

The DCAU version or the animated film they did in...2009, I think?

maybe I'm wrong but I thought he won or was nominated for something.

He either produced or directed the 2009 Wonder Woman film. Wasn't that film well received on this forum or am I misremembering?
    The J-man

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Why not the comic books being the blueprint?
    He means the blueprint to adapting the comics DC universe in another medium.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

This is one of those threads where you see the title and you know exactly what all the replies are going to be.

For me, the good parts of the DCAU outweighs the bad. Instead of lifting exact plot points, DC/WB should be looking at *how* the DCAU told their stories especially the scripts written by Paul Dini and Dwayne McDuffie. Analyze what worked and didn't work and improve upon it in the next adaptation. Don't just throw familiar characters on the screen or ones that you think will be a hit and drive them to the ground until they are no longer profitable. The DCAU is the most successful 'on screen universe' DC has ever had, it predates the MCU and it's story quality is miles above the CW shows.

I wish after JLU ended, they continued making shows instead of being relegated to DTV movies (and only funding the Batman ones at that). Maybe not set in the same universe but I would have loved seeing solo shows for Wonder Woman, Flash, Aquaman, Green Lantern, Vixen, Zatanna, Green Arrow and Black Canary.

Oh well, the chickens are here to roost anyway. WB/DC is having this much of a hard time now because they didn't invest in their non-Superman/Batman characters in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    He means the blueprint to adapting the comics DC universe in another medium.
    Is it any different from what Marvel does but as a show? The success of B:TAS lead to S:TAS and TNBA then the suits wanted a 'teen Batman show' so they made that then the suits liked the Justice League on that show which lead to Justice League and that worked out well enough they expanded it to JLU. Static Shock was successful but needed a boost and instead of creating separate versions of Superman and Batman, they just used the existing versions of Superman, Batman and the Justice League.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I'd only like the Batman stuff to make it into the films, and even then only parts of it.

The Superman portions of the DCAU had some solid stuff, but nothing that we couldn't get from other, better inspirations, and the rest of it needs a hard pass.

And everything Wonder Woman related is awful, no thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    This is one of those threads where you see the title and you know exactly what all the replies are going to be.

For me, the good parts of the DCAU outweighs the bad. Instead of lifting exact plot points, DC/WB should be looking at *how* the DCAU told their stories especially the scripts written by Paul Dini and Dwayne McDuffie. Analyze what worked and didn't work and improve upon it in the next adaptation. Don't just throw familiar characters on the screen or ones that you think will be a hit and drive them to the ground until they are no longer profitable. The DCAU is the most successful 'on screen universe' DC has ever had, it predates the MCU and it's story quality is miles above the CW shows.

I wish after JLU ended, they continued making shows instead of being relegated to DTV movies (and only funding the Batman ones at that). Maybe not set in the same universe but I would have loved seeing solo shows for Wonder Woman, Flash, Aquaman, Green Lantern, Vixen, Zatanna, Green Arrow and Black Canary.

Oh well, the chickens are here to roost anyway. WB/DC is having this much of a hard time now because they didn't invest in their non-Superman/Batman characters in the past.
    I definitely think the DCAU creators approached the material a lot like the MCU creators do.

BANNED

I'd love to see the Cadmus arc adapted for the silver screen. Timm himself said that was the best story in the DCAU, and I agree. Justice League and JLU were awesome expansions on the universe.

maybe I'm wrong but I thought he won or was nominated for something.

He either produced or directed the 2009 Wonder Woman film. Wasn't that film well received on this forum or am I misremembering?
    He produced it.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I think we have enough universes that revolve around Batman, thank you very much.
    Assassinate Putin!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    I like the DCAU, but like many things from the 90s associated with DC, it did the Silver Age dirty.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    I've never seen this take before. How did it do the Silver Age dirty when it wasn't really adapting any silver age stuff?

The silver age adaptation was Superfriends.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I think we have enough universes that revolve around Batman, thank you very much.
    well DC revolves around Batman so it makes sense to anchor him as the focus of any shared Universe
    The J-man